Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2014, 5:27 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
New and old, yes. Some people seem to really dislike 11, though.

I personally don't think it's all down to Matt Smith, but rather, the general self-serving, self-referential direction the series took with Matt Smith's tenure.

It didn't help that the series went with a very long complicated plot with River Swan, the Intelligence, Clara-Oswin, the 50th anniversary suddenly referring to David Tennant and Billie Piper's time, etc, etc and the show (ove here at least) was broken into 'parts', making it quite difficult to follow.

I'm praying that things get far more grounded with Peter Calpradi, and the whole romance/overly complicated "timey-wimey" stuff synonmous with Matt Smith's era remains a memory.

I really do want to get back into Dr Who, but I'm concerned that Steven Moffat isn't giving the series his best direction -- we all saw what happened when he went off to write for Speilbeg's Tintin adaptation. And furthermore, Sherlock...

Still, fingers crossed eh?

whovian42
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2014, 6:39 am

BlankCanvas wrote:
I'm praying that things get far more grounded with Peter Calpradi, and the whole romance/overly complicated "timey-wimey" stuff synonmous with Matt Smith's era remains a memory.

I think that Stephen Moffat actually wants to get rid of the flirty atmosphere and I think Peter Capaldi is going to be a much more serious doctor, hopefully bringing it back to more of the old-style action program.

Also I completely agree about the show being hard to follow because it was broken into parts but I think (and hope) that it was a one-off and I think the next season is going to be a full season.

I hope that you enjoy the next season more! :)

Icequeen1
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2014, 1:28 pm

Did anyone see the Doctor Who Live Livestream today from Seoul? I can't wait for the new series to start.

eloralouistra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm

I don't really like Moffat's Who (although I'm cautiously optimistic about the new series) but Doctor Who in general is my main special interest. Although I'm more into Big Finish' Doctor Who audio plays, especially the Gallifrey spin-off, than the TV series.

(I'd suggest any fans of Doctor Who who don't know about Big Finish to check them out - they do amazing audio stories for the Classic Doctors, featuring the original actors, as well as several spin-offs. They don't have the licence to do New Who yet, but I think they can be enjoyed by fans of any era, since their style is sometimes more like New Who.)

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 3:58 pm

First time I ever watched Doctor Who was when I was 7 years old on a VHS and that was The Keeper Of Traken. Yes I like the programme. I am looking forward to the new series in 2 weeks. Got a feeling that we will be going back the the old ways with Peter Capaldi.

Aspie-Boy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2014, 2:43 pm

Doctor Who is the best show ever!! !!
I've been watching it since the 70s.

I'm such a fan-boy that when I watched the premiere of the TV Movie back in 1996 I started to cry a little when I heard the Theme Music during the opening titles.

The show's biggest strength is that it can go anywhere and do anything.

Chreeve2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2015, 12:55 am

I've been on wrong planet for a few months and just found out there are Doctor (Not Dr.!) Who fans here. this is awesome.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2015, 1:54 am

I'm also a Whovian, and I can't wait for the new season to start. I've been watching since PBS showed some of the classic series when I was growing up, and now with BBC America, I get to watch the recent seasons.

Whovian_of_Borg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2015, 10:10 pm

Doctor Who is definitely one of my main special interests (obsessional point). One thing I fail to understand about the common fandom is why do people tend to not like Steven Moffat stories? I have always enjoyed complicated "timey-wimey" stories, and loved Series 6 ("A Good Man Goes To War" is my favorite Doctor Who episode). Do most people tend to just enjoy stories where you hardly have to think very deeply about them? (eg/ End Of The World as compared to The Impossible Astronaut/Day Of The Moon and the River Song story arc). Not intended to be offensive, just my opinion.

Well, looking forward to series nine, hopefully we shall be able to see Davros again, hoping for an explaination for the continuity errors with "Rememberance of the Daleks" and the later series, with Skaro being destroyed and Davros' head being the only thing remaining of him. But if you remember in "Doctor Who" (The 1996 movie), Skaro is featured, in "The Stolen Earth/Journeys End", Davros has all of his upper body and highly observant people will notice he has a hint of having upper legs, and in "Asylum of the Daleks" Skaro is yet again featured.

Altough I have seen all of the modern series, I have only seen "Terror of the Zygons" and "The Ice Warriors" from the classic series. Hopefully I will be able to have access to the rest of the (remaining) classic series. :)

Chreeve2 wrote:
Doctor (Not Dr.!)

Doctor Who is obviously the proper series, Dr. Who are the 1960s Dalek movies with Peter Cushing (non-canon) as The Doctor.

Stonetoad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2017, 3:38 pm

So... How do you guys feel about the new female Doctor? I'm quite excited, but to be honest... when I first heard the news I wasn't convinced. But after thinking about it, I might as well give her a chance and enjoy the show.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2017, 5:11 am

I'm looking forward to it. I've been watching Jodie Whittaker in a mini series that's just finished called Trust Me and she was very good in that. I'm hoping that she'll have a really interesting take on the character. I've not really been a fan of the direction the show has gone in over the past few years (although I do really like Peter Capaldi) and I think casting a female Doctor and bringing in a new show runner will be just what Doctor Who needs right now.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2017, 8:08 am

My issue with it is that I really want Capaldi to stay and get some better written plots. I love Capaldi as the Doctor, for some reason I really related to him and he instantly became my favourite Doctor (then Tom Baker, then all the others fall close behind). I especially related to the way he reacted to hugs! My sister looked right at me and said, "that is you when I try to hug you!", and it is, arms out and everything XD

I did love a few of the episodes ("Hell Bent", "World Enough and Time", and "The Doctor Falls" off the top of my head) but a lot of the episodes seemed to have very shallow plots. I do think that this last season with Bill was a bit better than the other two though.

Though I was completely against the idea of the Doctor being female (I'm afraid it'll cause to much of a shift in the show for the sake of having a female Doctor rather than the Doctor just happening to be female) I'm definitely going to give her a chance. As long as the Doctor still acts like the Doctor, I'll be happy. I kind of hope she still has some of Capaldi's somewhat grumpy 2,000 and something year old alien attitude :P

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 1:14 am

DaughterOfAule wrote:
My issue with it is that I really want Capaldi to stay and get some better written plots. I love Capaldi as the Doctor, for some reason I really related to him and he instantly became my favourite Doctor (then Tom Baker, then all the others fall close behind). I especially related to the way he reacted to hugs! My sister looked right at me and said, "that is you when I try to hug you!", and it is, arms out and everything XD

I did love a few of the episodes ("Hell Bent", "World Enough and Time", and "The Doctor Falls" off the top of my head) but a lot of the episodes seemed to have very shallow plots. I do think that this last season with Bill was a bit better than the other two though.

Though I was completely against the idea of the Doctor being female (I'm afraid it'll cause to much of a shift in the show for the sake of having a female Doctor rather than the Doctor just happening to be female) I'm definitely going to give her a chance. As long as the Doctor still acts like the Doctor, I'll be happy. I kind of hope she still has some of Capaldi's somewhat grumpy 2,000 and something year old alien attitude :P

I am extremely happy there is a woman Doctor but I do with Capaldi had been with the show a lot longer. In the US we have NCIS with Gibbs and Abby and Ducky being there for all 15 seasons. We see Doctor Who and a Doctor doesn't last beyond 3 seasons. Really? I just want really snarky characters.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 2:25 am

...I am a fan - or was :( I can't really be called an active fan, anymore
..since my circumstances don't, in general, allow me to see the show
At all.
I revently saw some rerences to developments in the modern series, and I HADN"T HEARF OF THEM AT ALL! :cry:
I've only ever seen of the modern series:
The first two-three?? episodes of S1, when I was in an apartment where there was a cabled TV in the common room, when it was then on in America in what was then called The Sci-Fi Channel.
Oddly enough, seeing a movie showing of the first ep. of a later Doctor shown as a movie at a Wondercon in San Francisco.
Some teeny bits now when I have a TV/access, wbich is only hospitals/rehab places now. Maybe I tend to think " I've been left behind " :cry:, I won't be able to follow it regularly, so don't get too caught in :cry: .
Oddly enough, as cult-popular as the show is with some Americans, the fact that it moved from Sci-Fi to BBC America pretty quickly shows the limitation/glass ceiling, I guess, on the show's US popularity/mass audience. SyFy is, my observation here for all of this, on the " standard " cable package* of 30-40?? channels that more or less anybody who gets cable gets - BBC America tends to be on more expensive " more channels " packages. (I guess the.modern series gets post-BBCA second runs on some PBS stations, which are broadcast. Not - in my observation - here, however. I was a more active fan during the " in-between " years. I've someimes - even this year, I believe - splurged on the U.K. Panini Doc tor Who Magazine...a rather expensive and rare import in the U.S.A.! :|

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

aspienhermit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2017, 3:35 pm

Does anyone know a site I can watch the Classic Doctor's for free?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:21 pm

...One?? reason I went on and on here is that I'm on a comics fan site where I' m in the closet about being homeless, and the Big Finisg Whos have been disussed a lot there. Some people actually have collections :cry: .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!