Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2014, 11:47 pm

Hard to say. I get a unrest feeling after about 4 seconds. Then i have to look away. Sometimes i look behind the person and they turn around thinking i saw something. This can be quite embarrasing.

Sometimes i start with eye contact then look to the ground while leaning onto something while i smoke, making them think i am just thinking things through with what they are saying

antarticanrepublic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2014, 4:37 am

1. Do you get any weird feelings from eye contact? Are there certain people you find it easier with? Do you have a similar feeling to me?
I cant concentrate on the conversation. All of it goes into observing their eye movements.
2. How can I get my mom to understand how I feel? Because I'm at a loss.
Have a meltdown..(lol, just kidding). You probably cant :(
3. Do you have your own techniques/tricks to fool people into thinking you're actually looking at them?
Look at their facial features (eyes,nose,forehead etc). If you start getting nervous look away for a couple of seconds, but dont look down. Trust me , it works perfectly well.Over the course of a few months you will get used to it & will also be able to look them in the eye!!

Both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits
EIQ:105
HSP:13
EQ: 31/80

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 7:12 am

1. A few times it has been like looking into a too strong light, but mostly, I just have to look away in order to think. It has really only been remarked by professionals, - like my psychiatrist, who had to have an explanation from the psychologist. (He´s an aspie himself, but he doesn´t know. Trala-lala!)
Eye contact may sort of force me to look sideways, but in random conversation, I don´t think, I have more problems than most.

2.mom? Does she demand eye contact much? Mine did. Show her this thread, perhaps.

3. Look between their eyes. Look a lot at their facial features, take contact now and then.

Piers
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2014, 8:43 am

Do you get any weird feelings from eye contact?
It depends on the person. For people I know well or have known for longer it's easier to maintain eye contact for long periods.

Are there certain people you find it easier with?
Anyone I've known longer - or trust. With new people I tend not to look at their faces at all but mainly at the areas around. This also depends on the environment.

Do you have a similar feeling to me?
Sort of, it creates a high level of anxiety.

How can I get my mom to understand how I feel? Because I'm at a loss.
I'm not sure - I'm still trying to figure that out.

Do you have your own techniques/tricks to fool people into thinking you're actually looking at them?
Eyebrows or top of nose, that mostly works for me.