Anyone been through vocational rehabilitation?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ripcity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2014, 2:58 am

I've been aproved for vocational rehabilitation. Are they going to use my meger skill set to place me in a job (that I will most likely hate), or will they help me gain real skills that I can use to do something that might pay well and/or be intrestinng.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 4:46 am

Most times, VR doesn't do a damn thing to help with anything. Most state-run VR offices are worse than useless.

silentlyvela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2014, 5:37 am

I know here, they do testing to try and find out your abilities in a job. Also they can help with interview practicing. Then there is the disability assistance side where they provide therapy/counselling. In some cases they assist in paying for training. They say I'm too qualified and there is no point since I have a bachelors in something that I can't effectively work in, as well as had training I paid for myself for truck driving.

For me I really need the therapy/counselling that they aren't giving me when on the road as a truck driver.

Also they tend to be really slow and for me I have bills to pay and am forced to work in what ever I can get a job in real fast.

I think it really depends though on if your case worker is actually passionate about helping people with disabilities.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 9:28 am

I have been using them for years. They helped me pay for my college and now I will be meeting with them again to try to find another job. I went to them earlier this year where they helped train me for job interviews and gave me some tips. I also attended a job fair earlier this year. I ended up getting a different job on my own but I am dissatisfied with that job right now so I am looking at other options and they are one of them. I would say it certainly can't hurt you to seek their help. Just keep you options open. I look at them as almost being another employment agency, no work is guaranteed but you are getting your name out there.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:46 am

They used to come to my school to the resource room and they would look our abilities and strengths and write on the board what jobs we can do. It all made me uncomfortable because I wanted to do more in life than just minimum wage work or simple work and they were telling me I couldn't have people jobs just because I had a hard time with interaction with other kids and getting along with them. They did land me a job in my high school library and they paid me and not the school. I worked in there once a week for one hour. I wanted to do it more but they said an hour once a week. I was also supposed to have a summer job back in 2003 but it never happened and it turned out they didn't have any money so they couldn't put me to work. I gave up on them and tried to do it myself by trying to get myself a job and apply at fast food places because it was the only jobs that I found available including Wal Mart. All people jobs. That is probably why I only worked one hour a week by them in 2004 because it was all they could afford. Where I lived, VR was a joke.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

OrangeFox17
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2014, 11:46 am

I really don't find Vocational Rehab helpful in the long run. I believe that if VR is your last resort or if you need VR to help get the jump start into something specific, then that would be fine. If you don't need VR, however, then don't go through it. Don't bother. In fact, I went to VR for help in my earliest job searches and all they could give me were a few programs, tests and hoops to jump through. However, when I decided to hunt for the jobs myself and went in to get applications, I managed to get work. VR in general is a flawed system IMO.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2014, 2:17 pm

I get services from them and while they are helpful, VR's main goal is to help you find a job, without taking into account your interests and preferred work environment. So there are good and bad things about them. They'd only be helpful for me if they could help me find a job that I enjoy and that is suited to my interests.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2014, 6:45 am

silentlyvela wrote:
I know here, they do testing to try and find out your abilities in a job. Also they can help with interview practicing. Then there is the disability assistance side where they provide therapy/counselling. In some cases they assist in paying for training. They say I'm too qualified and there is no point since I have a bachelors in something that I can't effectively work in, as well as had training I paid for myself for truck driving.

For me I really need the therapy/counselling that they aren't giving me when on the road as a truck driver.

Also they tend to be really slow and for me I have bills to pay and am forced to work in what ever I can get a job in real fast.

I think it really depends though on if your case worker is actually passionate about helping people with disabilities.

What was truck driving like for you? I'm thinking of trying it but scared of backing up and downshifting?

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

I recently dropped my services with them. The issue I have with them is they try to force you into one particular job goal and anything outside that area, you have to look for on your own. It seems as if they want my job goal to be data entry or office work, when in reality, its not what I really want to do the rest of my life. My biggest problem is that I think my parents are not happy about deciding to drop things with them but TBH, the services weren't exactly helpful in the first place so I don't feel guilty about my decision at all.

So in that case, I've decided to just look for jobs on my own in a small retail store. I really want to work at PetSmart since I love animals!

Bottom line is, I think VR is somewhat overrated. Its great for some people, but not for others.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 4:45 am

I am using them as a last resort. I am 2 1/2 months into a 7 month training course.

Disadvantage?s.
As mentioned they slot you for office clerk jobs.
One way of doing things for people with a variety of disabilities.
Related to the above lack of understanding of disabilities. Examples are Handicapped Parking spaces in the back of the Parking lot. Fluorescent lighting.
To noisy and crowded. One teacher has a piercing voice. Non-Autistics complain about her.

Advantages
Staff and students are generally very nice.
Teacher?s are effective.
I have worked with Microsoft Office since the late 1990?s but I am learning new interesting and faster techniques.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2014, 7:39 am

I'm just starting the VR process so the jury is still out for me. My first meeting was somewhat ignominious and left me feeling hopeless and even a little angry at having my hopes dashed. Realizing that the intake counselor's heart was in the right place, I sent her a very nice thank you email. My anger wasn't directed at her but a broken system. A little gratitude went a long way and she spent some time doing a little digging for information. She responded, "Very few of my customers have ever thanked me simply for listening and taking the time out. It's refreshing."

I learned a valuable lesson in getting people on my side. It may be too early to conclude this, but I believe my success, or lack thereof, at VR will be predicated on my ability to self advocate. I'm a poor self advocate and taking strides to get better. One thing I have difficulty in is communicating my needs accurately verbally. I think this is where a little pre planning comes into play with a notepad. Also, I'm still coming to understand my autism some. I'm 37 and was literally diagnosed a month ago.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2014, 12:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am using them as a last resort. I am 2 1/2 months into a 7 month training course.

Disadvantage?s.
Related to the above lack of understanding of disabilities. Examples are Handicapped Parking spaces in the back of the Parking lot. Fluorescent lighting.
To noisy and crowded. One teacher has a piercing voice. Non-Autistics complain about her.

Advantages
Teacher?s are effective.
I have worked with Microsoft Office since the late 1990?s but I am learning new interesting and faster techniques.

Wow! Didn't know VR tries to place you only in office jobs. Now I'm really glad I have nothing to do with them anymore.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 1:30 am

was going to wait til I finish with them to give any say. but I will say at my offcie the whole they try to only put you in office jobs is not at all true. they have spent time trying to look at what will be best for me. I have a deree in automotive. and logicly it would be the move to get a job in that field. but I've told them I can't do it and they have accepted that options we are considering. non mechanic type job related to automotive, retail(the job i've had and know I am good at, but its low for them as they want something better for me), security and production. the two are ones I wouldn't have thought of if not for them. I mean I've always wanted to be a cop or security but I wouldn't have thought I could. and production is something I found I could do.

they have been super nice and supportive. they have paid for my gas without me asking, they paid for the month assestment. they plan to pay to get me licensed as a security. along with clothing, hair cut, etc.

so i'd say it really varies on who you get and where it at. just as people and places vary.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:18 am

peaceloveerin wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Disadvantage?s.

Advantages
Teacher?s are effective.

Wow! Didn't know VR tries to place you only in office jobs. Now I'm really glad I have nothing to do with them anymore.

They might try and place you in stock work. One caveat, The states run them so where you live it might be different. In NY they pay private business schools to do the training.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 5:26 am

Yep am currently dealing with them as of now I have mixed feelings about them I've been through a psych exam a class telling the reasons why people work (which I already knew) and now I am having to go to goodwill for "hands on" work evaluation I.E. folding clothes I recalled when I dropped out of high school back in 99 I signed up with the same agency and they shoved me into a stocking job with service merchandize which at that time they were at tail end of chapter 11 and were starting to close down the stores in the metro area which mine was slated to close shortly after 01/01/2000.

At this point I'm looking to focus my attention on my education being that I am taking classes at a local college. I believe that will be more beneficial then what the state may be able to provide.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Disadvantage?s.

Advantages
Teacher?s are effective.

They might try and place you in stock work. One caveat, The states run them so where you live it might be different. In NY they pay private business schools to do the training.

What's frustrating is my parents are pushing me to get the services back when I really don't want to. They weren't helpful to me in the first place.