Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 8:56 am

Why do we do it? Do you and why? Are there certain things/phrase you repeat? For me it's chores it's like I have to constantly remind myself what I'm going to do or I quickly forget it. I do make lists sometimes but usually never look at them (such as a chore list app on my iPhone). On the way home I'll say I have to do darks/towels do dishes then make up beds. Then say something like So when I get hope I'll first do darks then wash towels then do the dishes from this morning then finally make up the beds. (Same thing with different words tossed in.)

Dad picks on me of sorts for this and it annoys him. I like it since it can come in handy shopping for groceries. Mom: What do we need? Me: Bacon,eggs,cheese,milk,socks. and I repeat over and over as we get each item then we leave having what we need. :-) No forgetting stuff. I always repeat do you have the coupons for shopping and double check often the same for cell phones and what we need when running out the door to do errands so it can have some positive to it too. :-)

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2014, 3:10 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I like it since it can come in handy shopping for groceries. Mom: What do we need? Me: Bacon,eggs,cheese,milk,socks. and I repeat over and over as we get each item then we leave having what we need. :-) No forgetting stuff.

I wish I had you with me to go shopping with! I am forever forgetting stuff while at the store, then the moment I get home I remember something else I could have gotten! :roll: Or I'll make a list and wear the pair of jeans that doesn't have the list in the pocket!

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2014, 3:10 pm

The Palilalia I have doesn't work quite the same way.
If I'm trying to keep something in mind, while having to concentrate on something else, too, I've been told I repeat certain words or phrases 3 or more times. Sometimes I'm aware of it- sometimes I'm not.
I don't think it's quite so bad, now that I'm getting older. Maybe you age out of some things? Could be! :-)
Still, it's interesting to read what you wrote, Zeldapsychology! :D

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 7:18 pm

Those of you who remember this clip may realize that it's not just an Aspie thing: :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNghp9tPXjo[/youtube]

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2014, 12:28 am

Quote:
From Wikipedia
Palilalia is defined as the repetition of the speaker's words or phrases, often for a varying number of repeats. Repeated units are generally whole sections of words and are larger than a syllable, with words being repeated the most often, followed by phrases, and then syllables or sounds.

Thanks, OP. :)

I'd never heard the term. I repeat things compulsively, but mostly only inside my own head, though also out loud when I'm talking to myself; I haven't noticed myself doing it in conversation. Glad to have a word to describe it. :)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 12:53 am

I do repeat phrases. I never knew it had a name. I don't know why I do it, like if there is a neurological reason for it but I just do it because it feels good. But sometimes I do it without even realize that I am doing it until I catch myself so maybe it's more than just a feel good thing. I think I do it pretty often actually.

Wreck It Ralph