Not feeling like ASD people you know?...

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 2:47 am

Having different personality/interests from people IRL

I am:
* Left-wing
* At the best Agnostic when it comes to faith
* Not technologically oriented
* Succinct

Ever feel different?...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 6:30 am

In most ways I'd be considered left-wing as well, but I have a few traditionally "right-wing" qualities in that I don't like governments overstepping their boundaries and "nannying" people who don't want it, and that I support the responsible private use and ownership of firearms. I'm all for individual rights, but I also support government social programs for those who want and/or need them. Somehow, my perfectly normal and sensical position on politics doesn't fit the traditional left-right dichotomy, and as such is considered insane by both left and right-wingers.

I pretty much consider myself agnostic as well, though a skeptical/atheistic agnostic in that I don't believe in a god or anything spiritual or supernatural, but I am willing to accept solid evidence that these things do exist. So far, we have none, so I have no reason to believe. My lack of faith may be a ticket to Hell, though it may also just lead to me reincarnating as a "lesser" lifeform, or most likely it just won't make a difference when I die because there probably is no afterlife. As you can tell, I've put some thought into this.

Technology is my life, and without it I don't really know where I would be. I have a seemingly-natural aptitude for working with computers and related technologies, and I have displayed this aptitude from a very young age. I've fixed computers, I've built computers, and I've provided tons of tech support in many areas, though I've never really been a professional, and admittedly I'm much better at the technical aspects than the aspects involving human interaction. :P I guess that makes me a typical aspie with a special interest.

I'm a bit more succinct than a lot of people on here, though I'm definitely less succinct than the average person, at least when it comes to things that interest me. Ironically, this is my most succinct response so far.

Well, that's two out of four, three if you count the last one. You and I don't really seem to be so dissimilar, at least from what I can tell.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 16 Aug 2014, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 7:21 am

I've begun to think that if I were better at handling electronics, I I could've kept my old computer, or at least one of them. Had at least one computer in my house since 88'! I think it wouldn't have been bad at all. :)

It's good to see we have some things in common. :)

Naturalist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2014, 7:39 am

Let's see...

I'm not very politically minded in general, but a visit to my decidedly right-wing family on occasion is enough to convince me I hold the opposite views on most topics.

Question of agnosticism / atheism really depends upon how God is being defined. As a force within the universe, exempt from morality or willful intent, I can see evidence that such forces exist. But if you want me to believe in a God that has the power to make everything happen according to his will and chooses to answer the small prayers of the privileged while he lets less fortunate people suffer in atrocious ways--such an entity is immoral and, in my opinion, unworthy of belief or worship. As an anthropologist, I believe that people have had legitimate, social reasons for creating god(s). But this means people, not God, ultimately define "God", and therefore its existence is subject to the parameters of our definitions of it.

Technology? Heck, no. Attempting to learn coding for the sake of managing metadata relating to archaeology; however, my interest in archaeology stems partly from the fact that my technological comfort zone is at least 150 years out of date.

Succinct? Depends upon the topic and how I am feeling that day. Occasionally given to more circuitous thinking, but overall I don't ramble unless confused or excited about a topic.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 9:50 am

I have felt different, but not necessarily in terms of general interests or my outlook on life. I've found that on those two scores, I managed to find a lot of like-minded folks on the spectrum.

I did feel different in the sense that I had grown so accustomed to interacting with more socially extraverted people (my dearest co-workers and acquaintances, as well as some relatives), that the interactions with other autistics in general have felt flat and lacking, and too rationally-oriented. This doesn't go for one-on-one interactions with a couple of autistic folks whom I particularly resonated with. Getting into that 'comfy zone' was a lot easier with them.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

Bun wrote:
Having different personality/interests from people IRL

I am:
* Left-wing
* At the best Agnostic when it comes to faith
* Not technologically oriented
* Succinct

Ever feel different?...

None of that has anything to do with an ASD.

My nephew shares some symptoms with me. That's all I know.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 10:43 am

I didn't say these were symptoms, I just don't know anyone (with ASD) who isn't right-wing, believes in a force, and likes computers less than other hobbies. While it might not be a statistical majority, the only people I meet who aren't like it are on the internet. Hope I've explained. :)

I also wanted to know if people feel odd with people on the spectrum because of different interests etc., but everyone just replied to mine. *shrug*

Last edited by Bun on 16 Aug 2014, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2014, 10:53 am

i like computers. i like the hardware part anyway. i like building them and repairing them. i dont feel like a lot of autistic people i know but thats becuase most of the autistic people i know in real life didnt have the language delay that i did (or at least not to the extend that i did). we can have any kind of interests and beliefs though so it makes sense that you feel different.

autistic people run the full gauntlet of human experience. expect not autistic.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

Alyosha wrote:
autistic people run the full gauntlet of human experience. expect not autistic.

Ha, true.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 11:08 am

I don't really know any one else with autism IRL, so no idea if I'd feel very different from them or not.

ElsaFlowers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2014, 11:27 am

Bun wrote:
I didn't say these were symptoms, I just don't know anyone (with ASD) who isn't right-wing, believes in a force, and likes computers less than other hobbies. While it might not be a statistical majority, the only people I meet who aren't like it are on the internet. Hope I've explained. :)

I also wanted to know if people feel odd with people on the spectrum because of different interests etc., but everyone just replied to mine. *shrug*

My obsessions mostly relate to creativity. I am interested in history but I wouldn't say it was an obsession. I get obsessed when I see ideas for making things, then I want to learn all about it. Sometimes I buy tools and materials needed then I move onto something else and rarely finish a project. I think this is different to most peoples special interests and I annoy myself with it. I wish I could stay focused more.

Parade
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2014, 11:58 am

Over the years Autistic traits can decline (at least some have for me.) Compare your current self with your younger self. Perhaps you were more similar to most people with ASD back then, but now you've progressed.