Agnostic Looking For A Good Debate On Religion.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 6:04 pm

Narrator wrote:
A god who could create a universe would be beyond comprehension. Just try writing a story about a god that is beyond comprehension - it can't be done. So we anthropomorphize 'it,' and oddly that is supposed to make it more credible.

This is also how it confuses me when people could suggest that an infinite God could create the world and physical universe as we know it out of some kind of 'not God' material to create a good vs. evil duality beyond Its full culpability in all sides. When one goes on to even suggest that this 'not God' matter came into being by God speaking it into existence alarm bells start going off that much more.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm

JaryT wrote:
As the title says, please share your views on religion(s) with me.

Religion is dogma. Religion is suspicious of individual growth. Religion is power. Power corrupts.

Religion demand joining a group and I am repulsed by that idea.

I'm agin' it.

But my brain loves and responds to stories and I love many of the stories from all of the religions, mythologies, memoirs, auto-biographies, and thoughtful works of fiction. I love the idea of God creating people, man and woman, in God's image. I think Christ was very radical and wonderful. I don't care if it is actual historical fact or not, any more than I care if Atticus Finch (and his daughter Scout), Sherlock Holmes, or Pipi Longstockings are fact or fiction. I still learn from all of them. Love all of them. They all feed me.

Religion is all about creating God in man's image. So I created God in this woman's image. My God provides a safe shelter when the world is too intense or feels too evil. My God is the person I aspire to be. My God provides me peace. My God helps me to be strong and persevere. My God does not want me to over think it or be too serious about it. That would be soul -sucking. My God wants me to feel the connectedness of all life. To sense beauty. To enjoy and love. Seek wisdom through knowedge as well as between the cracks of knowledge. My God is as valid as Muslim's Christian's Hindu's, or anyone else's god.

I am not sure if you believe the same as all agnostics (which would make it a religion in its own right) or if you have your own beliefs. How can we have a debate when you have not thrown your argument down, Jary?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 11:24 am

Awiddershinlife wrote:
JaryT wrote:
As the title says, please share your views on religion(s) with me.

Religion is dogma. Religion is suspicious of individual growth. Religion is power. Power corrupts.

Religion demand joining a group and I am repulsed by that idea.

I'm agin' it.

But my brain loves and responds to stories and I love many of the stories from all of the religions, mythologies, memoirs, auto-biographies, and thoughtful works of fiction. I love the idea of God creating people, man and woman, in God's image. I think Christ was very radical and wonderful. I don't care if it is actual historical fact or not, any more than I care if Atticus Finch (and his daughter Scout), Sherlock Holmes, or Pipi Longstockings are fact or fiction. I still learn from all of them. Love all of them. They all feed me.

Religion is all about creating God in man's image. So I created God in this woman's image. My God provides a safe shelter when the world is too intense or feels too evil. My God is the person I aspire to be. My God provides me peace. My God helps me to be strong and persevere. My God does not want me to over think it or be too serious about it. That would be soul -sucking. My God wants me to feel the connectedness of all life. To sense beauty. To enjoy and love. Seek wisdom through knowedge as well as between the cracks of knowledge. My God is as valid as Muslim's Christian's Hindu's, or anyone else's god.

I am not sure if you believe the same as all agnostics (which would make it a religion in its own right) or if you have your own beliefs. How can we have a debate when you have not thrown your argument down, Jary?

I like your way of looking at GOD through the 'woman's' eyes.

For thousands of years GOD is literally created in a 'male's' image.

And truly more women than you are finally creating GOD in 'women's' image.

When the two balance and become one in the world, perhaps there will be balance AND peace.

In my opinion, it is Patriarchy that is responsible for most of the world's conflicts.

Too much Yang and not enough Yin can cause some serious suffering, and yes, VICE VERSA, as well. :)

But whether anyone wants to admit IT or not; we all create GOD in our own image; whether it is personal or cultural; by or 'buy' design.

And no, that's not surprising, as 'those' are the 'eyes' we are blessed with, to create GOD with, as truly a fractal of the whole, as science now shows.

GOD is Science and GOD is Art.

Too much of one and not the other, is where many problems start and end.

I know all too well from personal experience; GOD does not exist fully without Art, in one's own life, no matter what culture and or religion says.

And yes, I find GOD everywhere; very often in the Movie Theater and Youtube videos too. :)

It's just a matter of finding GOD that FEELS like the ONE for one.

Unfortunately, some folks don't understand, at core, IT, yes IT, as metaphor for GOD, TRULY IS, ALL up to US. :)

You are part of a vocal minority; but never the less, I see your words as TRUE; as you create GOD that is right for you.

I'm sure that GOD doesn't mind. :)

In only my opinion, of course; I think GOD is smiling on you, and probably winking too. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 29 Aug 2014, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm

We don't have any evidence that God exists that can't be better explained by something else.

Therefore, believing in God is not sensible.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 1:12 pm

So much for JaryT (the OP) wanting a good debate on religion; he's never come back; he's done a post and run.