Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:48 pm

What is Autism/Asperger's called in languages other than English/German? Do those names translate to anything else?

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 10:51 pm

Quick answer: go to the following web page {https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger%27s_syndrome} and look at the list of languages down the left hand side of the page. As your mouse hovers over any of the links, it will display something like: (Afrikaans) {https://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergersindroom} - which tells you that the article about Asperger's syndrome in Afrikaans is called "Aspergersindroom". That is hardly surprising, as "sindroom" looks like the Afrikaans equivalent of "syndrome" , and "Asperger" looks like somebody's name we know.

Now you can do this for each of the other languages - a fast translation service for you. Bear in mind that many countries follow the ICD-9 classification of disorders, rather than DSM-IV or DSM5, so the meaning of Asperger's syndrome "should be" the same in most places. Local diagnostic practices might vary a lot though - as they do between states in the US, and between nations in the English-speaking world.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 4:34 am

Dutch: autisme, syndroom van Asperger or Aspergers syndroom.
English -ism to Dutch: -isme, to German: -ismus.
Keep in mind that pronunciation in Dutch and German is pretty different too. The wiki advice is a good one. The words will probably be pretty similar in different languages since they are fairly new words. In the same way, words like telephone or revolution are fairly similar in different languages.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 4:32 pm

"Aspergers" is a name also, so it likely won't change too much.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 7:20 am

the japanese pronunciation is a trip o_o

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A2 ... 9%E7%BE%A4

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:03 am

japanese phonological constraints usually require them to do all sorts of linguistic gymnastics to say english words. looks like lots of vowels usually.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2016, 8:29 am

Asperger's syndrome is Aspergersheilkenni
Heilkenni means syndrome, so this is straightforward.

Autism is einhverfa.
This is not so straightforward. I'm not sure where this comes from. Hverfa means to disappear or to turn, but I'm not sure about ein.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 12:04 am

i guess because some auties tend to blend in, or disappear real easily. the quiet ones.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:58 pm

Turkish: Asperger sendromu / Asperger bozukluğu
Czech: Aspergerův syndrom

Turkish: Otizm
Czech: Autismus

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 2:39 pm

Polish: Zespół Aspergera, Autyzm

BTW. Zespół is a funny word. It can mean "a medical syndrome" (Asperger Syndrome=Zespół Aspergera, Down Syndrome=Zespół Downa etc.) but the most common meaning is "a team", "a group" or... "a band"(musical band).
It's a mystery for me why we use the multiple meaning word "zespół" instead of "syndrom" which is also a Polish world, meaning "a set of characteristic features of something, usually negative". Sometimes you see "Syndrom Aspergera" but it's way less common.

Last edited by Kiriae on 30 Apr 2017, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 2:40 pm

According to my internet research

Spanish: autismo or Síndrome De Asperger. Relatively straight forward
Mandarin: [zì bì zhèng] literally, "self-shut" syndrome. There is an alternative term [gu du zheng], or lonely syndrome. They do their best to transliterate Asperger. It ended up as [ya si bo ge]

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

Kiriae wrote:

BTW. Zespół is a funny word. It can mean "a medical syndrome" (Asperger Syndrome=Zespół Aspergera, Down Syndrome=Zespół Downa etc.) but the most common meaning is "a team", "a group" or... "a band"(musical band).
It's a mystery for me why we use the multiple meaning word "zespół" instead of "syndrom" which is also a Polish world, meaning "a set of characteristic features of something, usually negative". Sometimes you see "Syndrom Aspergera" but it's way less common.

Do you use the word porucha for disorder too in Polish?
I've just realized you live not so far from me haha.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 4:12 pm

Recently coined medical terms of the Twentieth Century, especially those named after a person (like aspergers), or cobbled by science out of latin/greek syllables (like "autism" and "syndrome") , will tend to be basically the same the world over in every language. A little nip and tuck around the edges of the term to fit the local syntax, or pronunciation. But the same word. Both aspergers and autism are themselves borrowed into English from abroad (Aspergers being an Austrian guy's name, and autism being purposely fashioned out of the Greek word for "self" "auto").

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 4:53 pm

komamanga wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

Do you use the word porucha for disorder too in Polish?
I've just realized you live not so far from me haha.

No. All that comes to my mind when I hear "porucha" is "poruchać" which means "to have sex"("to move someone") in urban dictionary. LOL
Talk about funny false friends.

Our most common word for "disorder" is "zaburzenie" which I guess would directly translate to your "porucha" which I understand as "aftereffect of moving" (in Polish "po"=after, "ruszać/ruchać"=move) while "zaburzenie" could be understood as "aftereffect of destroying"("za"=after, "burzenie"=destroying by making sth collapse). They seem quite similar.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 6:08 pm

Kiriae wrote:
No. All that comes to my mind when I hear "porucha" is "poruchać" which means "to have sex"("to move someone") in urban dictionary. LOL

Our most common word for "disorder" is "zaburzenie" which I guess would directly translate to your "porucha" which I understand as "aftereffect of moving" (in Polish "po"=after, "ruszać/ruchać"=move) while "zaburzenie" could be understood as "aftereffect of destroying"("za"=after, "burzenie"=destroying by making sth collapse). They seem quite similar.

Lolol. How about záchod?

To move in czech is hýbat se and porucha actually comes from the verb (po)rušit (break, disturb, violate). So zaburzenie is probably really the exact translation of porucha which is interesting :)

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 7:30 am

komamanga wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

Lolol. How about záchod?

To move in czech is hýbat se and porucha actually comes from the verb (po)rušit (break, disturb, violate). So zaburzenie is probably really the exact translation of porucha which is interesting :)

"Záchod" seems like "zachód" = "west". I checked google and it means "toilet" for you, right? We use "toaleta" or "ubikacja" for that one, but we also have "wychodek", meaning "a toilet outside of the house" so it could be related ("wy-"=outside, "chodzić"=going, "wychodek"=place you go outside to).

"Hýbat se" sounds like "chybać/chybotać się" which means "to move in a regular motion after being disturbed".
And "(po)rušit" sounds like "poruszyć" which means "to move/disturb" but not "break" or "violate". It would be more "naruszyć" if that was the case but even then it wouldn't be too severe, not "break into pieces" but "make a small damage on something".