Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 7:30 am

komamanga wrote:
Kiriae wrote:
No. All that comes to my mind when I hear "porucha" is "poruchać" which means "to have sex"("to move someone") in urban dictionary. LOL
Talk about funny false friends.

Our most common word for "disorder" is "zaburzenie" which I guess would directly translate to your "porucha" which I understand as "aftereffect of moving" (in Polish "po"=after, "ruszać/ruchać"=move) while "zaburzenie" could be understood as "aftereffect of destroying"("za"=after, "burzenie"=destroying by making sth collapse). They seem quite similar.

Lolol. How about záchod?

To move in czech is hýbat se and porucha actually comes from the verb (po)rušit (break, disturb, violate). So zaburzenie is probably really the exact translation of porucha which is interesting :)

"Záchod" seems like "zachód" = "west". I checked google and it means "toilet" for you, right? We use "toaleta" or "ubikacja" for that one, but we also have "wychodek", meaning "a toilet outside of the house" so it could be related ("wy-"=outside, "chodzić"=going, "wychodek"=place you go outside to).

"Hýbat se" sounds like "chybać/chybotać się" which means "to move in a regular motion after being disturbed".
And "(po)rušit" sounds like "poruszyć" which means "to move/disturb" but not "break" or "violate". It would be more "naruszyć" if that was the case but even then it wouldn't be too severe, not "break into pieces" but "make a small damage on something".

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 3:52 am

Záchod/Zachód being west makes much more sense even in Czech too as východ is east. But unfortunately it means toilet. And west is západ.

I always thought Polish and Czech sounded quite similar but now I see there are many variations in words even though the core way of producing them is very much the same. (I'm not Czech nor a Slav, so my opinion is of a foreigner to the Slavic languages.)

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 10:19 am

Autismus-Spektrum-Störung is Autism Spectrum Disorder in German.