Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 5:39 am

indy5 wrote:
Did anyone notice more sensory overloads, when coming off Risperidone? Or an increased memory of your childhood? I've been slowly reducing my dose, over the last year, with %10 reductions. The withdrawal side effects sound worse than the drug's side effects, so definitely go slow if you want to reduce your dose. Did your doctor suggest anything to help you get off Risperdal?

all meds shoud be reduced slowly, even coming off long term anti histamines can cause some issues.

had come straight off respiridone and had no side effects but was swapped to haliperidol immediately,which is a different type of AP [stronger;high potency,respiridone is medium potency].

am currently coming off the majority of diazepam which is part of a group of drugs that body gets very dependent on, have been on a withdrawal program for nearly a year now,the pyschiatrist wants to make it as slow as possible,if are worried about coming off the AP then ask pyschiatrist for a withdrawal plan to be made.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

jk1 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
But now I think it was probably Risperadone and I'm mad because I felt like I wasted eleven years of my life. Even though I'm not on it now, it still has an effect on me. I feel like I'm just starting at everything at 26 when I could've been starting at everything when I was 18. I might go to uni and get a real job but would it not have been better to do that younger? When it comes to chances of getting hired, is there any difference between a 30 year old graduate or a 21 year old graduate? Do employers think a gap decade is a sign of laziness?

Hi. This does not directly relate to your OP question but I would just like to make a comment on the above paragraph. I can understand the anger/regret you feel for feeling that you wasted many years, but you had better not dwell on that because there's really nothing you can do about it. The longer you think about it, the more time you will waste. You could be feeling that anger/regret much later, but luckily you are only 26. The good news is that at 26 it's not too late at all. You will have plenty of opportunities for employment after graduating from uni at 30 or older. There are many people who start their career late. And if you can persevere and complete a uni degree, that proves that you are not lazy.

I hope you're right. I've heard of people say there are plenty if 30 year old graduates or even older but then I find out they're graduating with their second degree, starting their second career. This would be my first. I know the longer I think about this the more time I waste but I waste time worrying about many other things as well. They say Australian uni fees are going to go up drastically so I wonder if I'm mad to do it at a time like this. If I'd done it when I was younger and still living under a left wing government, it might've made things easier.

Something I worry about even more is what kind of career I should have. I can't decide on that so I can't decide on a degree. I can't decide on the details either. There may be some way to study something helpful before starting the degree itself. I'm just not sure how it all works. I know very little of higher education and what options I have within it. My attempts to get a life coach have fallen flat.

Anyway, I think I have to decide in about a month to make the STAT or I lose another year. I've been feeling like I should do something with my life since the middle of last year yet I missed last years STAT. The time before that was wasted not wanting to anything but even in the year since I still haven't made any progress even though I did want to do something by that time. I as though that's even more wasteful.

Anyway, that's enough regretting the past for now. As for the future, how do you choose a career anyway?

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

They prescribed it for my son. I got the prescription filled, went home, read about it and then threw it in the trash.

And that was before the 'it makes men grow breasts' lawsuit'.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 6:49 pm

Cash__ wrote:
They prescribed it for my son. I got the prescription filled, went home, read about it and then threw it in the trash.

Why was it prescribed for though?

the-comander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2014, 7:07 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I've been off Risperidone for nearly a year and I feel much better. This is good but... now I feel bad that I wasted a decade suffering under it without even realizing the cause of the problems until I went off it. In my case the effects were damaging yet just subtle enough that over the years I thought thought they were just a part of myself. Or maybe they were. I'm still not sure.

Did anyone else suffer long or short term side effects? Did it do more harm then good? Did anyone actually benefit from it?
Anyway I wonder why they'd want to put me on a drug normally reserved for schizophrenics.

no, i havent. also acording to wikipedia it causes men to grow tits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risperidon ... se_effects
id be pretty f*****g concerned if i where you.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 7:29 pm

It didn't make me grow tits. It only looked that way because I was really fat, not because I had a genuine case of gynecomastia. It didn't make me really fat. I was already fat before I started taking it. Did it make me fatter? I can't say. I put on weight for the first few years I was on it but to compare the weight of a fat 14 year old with the weight of a fat adult is comparing apples and oranges.

Did any of my previous medications make me fat? I can't remember what they were. All I remember is that when I was 8 I went from being thin (probably underweight) to overweight. When Mum found out Risperadone causes increased appetite her "solution" to this problem was to cook more.

I'm thinner now but is that a return to my natural state or a result of dieting? Probably a result of dieting. And although Risperadone is associated with weight gain, I started dieting before I went off Risperadone and last weight while on it so it is possible. Not that I'm trying to defend Risperadone.

the-comander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2014, 7:42 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
It didn't make me grow tits. It only looked that way because I was really fat, not because I had a genuine case of gynecomastia. It didn't make me really fat. I was already fat before I started taking it. Did it make me fatter? I can't say. I put on weight for the first few years I was on it but to compare the weight of a fat 14 year old with the weight of a fat adult is comparing apples and oranges.

Did any of my previous medications make me fat? I can't remember what they were. All I remember is that when I was 8 I went from being thin (probably underweight) to overweight. When Mum found out Risperadone causes increased appetite her "solution" to this problem was to cook more.

I'm thinner now but is that a return to my natural state or a result of dieting? Probably a result of dieting. And although Risperadone is associated with weight gain, I started dieting before I went off Risperadone and last weight while on it so it is possible. Not that I'm trying to defend Risperadone.

id talk to a doctor and make sure that you didnt just grow boobs if i where you. i mean i get it stops you from being violent and stuff and i think thats important, the thing is so do a lot of very mild recreational drugs and they dont make men grow tits or cause you to become obese. also acording to this article it causes "scitzophrenia like symptoms" frankly that sounds suspicously like a halucenogen and even if its not scitzophrenia often involves halucinations and extreme parinoia and may meen that the medicane causes you to become a scitzophrenic. it also aperently can cause you to either not be able to stop moving or worse, not be able to move. it is listed as having "sexual side effects" (presumably this means the whole growing tits thing but its not specified so it could be somethng else, however someone online claims it caused a complete lack of any intrest in sex so thats also possible) and can cause osteoporosis.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 8:15 pm

the-comander wrote:
id talk to a doctor and make sure that you didnt just grow boobs if i where you.

Maybe it had some effect like that. I don't know. I can't say how much of it was just caused by being fat. Also I had chrest rolls before I started taking Risperadone.

It didn't give me hallucinations or make me asexual. Was I paranoid? No. Did I have social anxiety? Yes... but that started a few years before I went on Risperadone.

Part of the problem is that I can't remember most of the meds I was on before Risperadone. They could've screwed me up too. Part of the problem is that even if I'd never been medicated, I still wouldn't have been completely normal. I may still have had social anxiety. That happens to a lot of aspies, even unmedicated ones. It's died down gradually over the last five or six years. I may still have had a liking for junk food and little thought for long term consequences, though, I really do think Risperadone increased my appetite. It's not normal to want to eat every two hours. I may still have had a dislike for school work... Maybe not. When I was rebellious I did the work easily. When I wanted to conform was when I struggled with it. This is strong circumstantial evidence but it could also partly be because the work actually did get harder as I got older. Again, apples and oranges comparison.

So would my life have been better sans Risperaone? I'll never know. Alternate histories are never accurate.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 8:57 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Cash__ wrote:

It was supposed to level his moods out. He had spurts of being very angry and having fits.

Besides the side effects, I decided he needed to learn to manage his moods himself. If the drug was doing it for him, then how would he ever learn. I felt it would be doing him an injustice in the long run. So I worked with him instead, showed him how I handle it and you know what? We're doing pretty good. This week is tough because it's back to school week, but I have every reason to believe he'll settle in here shortly. I have no regrets about my decision.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm

Cash__ wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
Cash__ wrote:

It was supposed to level his moods out. He had spurts of being very angry and having fits.

Besides the side effects, I decided he needed to learn to manage his moods himself. If the drug was doing it for him, then how would he ever learn. I felt it would be doing him an injustice in the long run. So I worked with him instead, showed him how I handle it and you know what? We're doing pretty good. This week is tough because it's back to school week, but I have every reason to believe he'll settle in here shortly. I have no regrets about my decision.

An interesting idea. You may be right. I had fits of anger during childhood and my early teens, which ended upon starting on Risperadone, though in the ten months since I stopped taking it, the fits of rage haven't started again. Still, you may be right.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 10:44 pm

Cash__ wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
Cash__ wrote:

He was prescribed Risperidone just for that? And I thought it was prescribed to me liberally.

There's really nothing else that the medication is for?

indy5
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2014, 12:11 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
have been on a withdrawal program for nearly a year now,the pyschiatrist wants to make it as slow as possible,if are worried about coming off the AP then ask pyschiatrist for a withdrawal plan to be made.

I was wondering what the OP's withdrawl program was, or anyone else who has come off Risperdal without going onto another drug. There's no way my doctors would help me get off it. I'm down to 0.25mg, and have no anger problems. I'm just scared to go down any more.

the-comander wrote:
it is listed as having "sexual side effects" (presumably this means the whole growing tits thing but its not specified so it could be somethng else

they're not really appropriate for this part of the forums .... definitely some weird sexual side effects on a higher dose (above 4mg)

... most are caused by increased prolactin levels ... which is also what causes the lactating and man tits thing

seaturtleisland wrote:

Bi-Polar, schizophrenia, ADHD, autism, behavioral/irritability problems associated with autism, and short term alzheizmers/dementia treatment (although that one is controversial)

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 12:38 am

indy5 wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:

Bi-Polar, schizophrenia, ADHD, autism, behavioral/irritability problems associated with autism, and short term alzheizmers/dementia treatment (although that one is controversial)

I already know that. I was talking about Cash's son.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 1:55 am

indy5 wrote:
I was wondering what the OP's withdrawl program was, or anyone else who has come off Risperdal without going onto another drug. There's no way my doctors would help me get off it. I'm down to 0.25mg, and have no anger problems. I'm just scared to go down any more.

Yes I agree it's quite addictive and I was only on 1mg. My withdrawal program with simply to go on another drug. I went straight onto Phentermine and I've been on and off it since then. Oddly enough the Phentermine isn't very addictive. I find these two drugs have polar opposite effects on me.

And to think that doctors are turning children into drug addicts.

the-comander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2014, 12:12 pm

indy5 wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
have been on a withdrawal program for nearly a year now,the pyschiatrist wants to make it as slow as possible,if are worried about coming off the AP then ask pyschiatrist for a withdrawal plan to be made.

the-comander wrote:
it is listed as having "sexual side effects" (presumably this means the whole growing tits thing but its not specified so it could be somethng else

they're not really appropriate for this part of the forums .... definitely some weird sexual side effects on a higher dose (above 4mg)

... most are caused by increased prolactin levels ... which is also what causes the lactating and man tits thing

seaturtleisland wrote:

why would you take this?

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2014, 10:49 pm

I take it for anger and severe, frequent meltdowns. It makes life bearable while I wait for (insert potentially identifying situation here) to be over. I just wish it didn't have such a potential for long-term side effects, or I'd gladly stay on it even after that.