Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 11:47 pm

I was in special education myself--before there was such things as IEP's.

Therefore, I know of what I speak.

Obviously, being in special education does NOT imply that a person is not intelligent.

All I was stating, basically, is that a "regular" diploma provides an easier path to a career than the IEP diploma. It is a fact. Not obtaining the "regular" diploma does not prevent one from succeeding--but it most definitely makes it much more difficult. To the point where I would advocating plying the track toward the "regular diploma" if it is at all possible. This is not "ablist"---this is practical.

I'm not denigrating the intelligence of special education students at all. If I were to believe that, I wouldn't be worthy of walking this earth. I'm not denigrating the quality of eduction received in special education; to do so, I would be denigrating my acquisition of knowledge.

All I was advocating, as well, was that the OP ignore ignorant people who believe certain things about him/her and to just do the best he/she can, despite the obstacles placed before him/her by opinions of this sort.

To reiterate: I was not denigrating special ed people. I was a special ed person myself; I would be denigrating myself if I were to denigrate special ed people.

I'm sorry--but you misinterpreted my feelings and my intentions.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 12:22 am

I had an IEP.
I have a regular high school diploma.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was in special education myself--before there was such things as IEP's.

Therefore, I know of what I speak.

I was correcting you because you seem to be ill-informed, though. Likely because
you are of a different generation than either serena or myself. Things change.

There is no such thing as an "IEP diploma". There is a GED. There is also a different test you can take other than the GED that has been introduced in recent years, but neither of these has anything to do with IEP or accommodations or special ed.

[I was in special ed too, more recently than yourself. I also often speak with friends who have children who have IEPs and occasionally advise parents on such things]

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2014, 1:10 am

SignOfLazarus wrote:
I had an IEP.
[. . .]
There is no such thing as an "IEP diploma". There is a GED. There is also a different test you can take other than the GED that has been introduced in recent years, but neither of these has anything to do with IEP or accommodations or special ed.

[I was in special ed too, more recently than yourself. I also often speak with friends who have children who have IEPs and occasionally advise parents on such things]

Actually, I don't think they are offered everywhere, there is such thing as an IEP Diploma. But but you don't get it just because your have an IEP. You get it because you had an IEP and met those goals, but weren't able to complete normal high school level courses, even with accommodation.

I think IEPs are good. So is special education. People should take advantage of these programs, so they can grow in funding.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 1:52 am

AmethystRose wrote:
SignOfLazarus wrote:
I had an IEP.
[. . .]

Actually, I don't think they are offered everywhere, there is such thing as an IEP Diploma. But but you don't get it just because your have an IEP. You get it because you had an IEP and met those goals, but weren't able to complete normal high school level courses, even with accommodation.

I think IEPs are good. So is special education. People should take advantage of these programs, so they can grow in funding.

haha. OK.

How about... we go with "but you don't get it just because your have an IEP."? [via AmethystRose]

There are reduced requirement programs, but [forgive MY ignorance this time] I wasn't aware they were called IEP diplomas. So my bad there. I should probably be aware of that at some point if I'm going to make like I know what I'm talking about.

But also there could be misunderstanding here due to differing parts of the country. Even though that was actually brought up earlier in the thread I didn't consider it... I could blame any number of things like lack of sleep or not feeling good but I'm just going to say I'm being a cranky pants and I don't like the perceived insinuation that my diploma doesn't mean as much as anyone else's.

I'm still frustrated but I can't really address everything that has been implied so I'll just go away now since I'm either too young or too old for this conversation. Some how? heh.

ETA: Also, ROSE--> is your avatar a bat? I think I just saw it right. is it?

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2014, 3:14 am

SignOfLazarus wrote:

It's hard to see because of the glare, but my avatar is my dog Toby staring forlornly out of his carrying bag. We were on the bus. He wanted a snuggle, but that would have been rule-breaking. lol :geek:

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 3:28 am

AmethystRose wrote:
SignOfLazarus wrote:

It's hard to see because of the glare, but my avatar is my dog Toby staring forlornly out of his carrying bag. We were on the bus. He wanted a snuggle, but that would have been rule-breaking. lol :geek:

Ha. That's what i thought the first time around [maybe a little doggie] but then it didn't look like that anymore. I didn't think it was a bat at first because bats are dark... but then um... albino bat, maybe?
ha. ok thanks.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2014, 4:26 am

I am a special needs student. This thread reminds me of primary school and secondary school. I went to a mainstream secondary school without any support for my deafness and autism, and my memories of school are mostly painful because I was bullied and ostracized by my peers and my teachers had no understanding. Now, I board at a special school for the deaf and it's wonderful, a truly wonderful school to be at. I originally sat the exams for their secondary school and passed with high marks but couldn't attend because the local authorities refused to fund my place and because my headteacher at primary school was very ignorant of disabilities and thought that I was doing well enough and so refused to support me too. It is a life changing experience from having virtually no support at school to having full support and understanding.

It was very difficult and the experience that I went through at mainstream schools was soul destroying and it's sad to think that I'm not the only one who has gone through this and that I won't be the last. I think that all people with disabilities should receive support and understanding in school with their disability or disabilities.

Very short post. Have class now so must go.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 7:22 am

On the record: I didn't IMPLY anything.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 1:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
On the record: I didn't IMPLY anything.

Let's just get over it and make nice nice at this point, hmm?

---

There are a lot of assumptions that if you are doing "well", that is "good enough". Which is a shame.

If Johnny does better than Andy, but still is hampered because of a disability, the view point often seems to be that " You are still doing better than Andy, so it doesn't matter."

Which I find strange, because in another light, the educational system [in the US] is supposed to aim to help children "reach their full potential"... as long as we don't set the curve too high? Or... something.

I'm not really sure. I know it was complicated for me to get assistance and acommodations because while I had an IEP the school was also not keen on starting a gifted and talented program and strung us along about that.

Public school can be great and can be also be a harrowing experience for so many reasons. It turns out I have some auditory processing issues, but no one would think of exploring that when I was younger because my IQ was high [whoopie, right?].

I'm glad you have found more support.

CeBang
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2014, 3:26 am

Speaking from experience with the Australian Schooling System - Looking back I dunno how I feel about the whole Special Ed (or Spastic Ed as it was affectionately called) thing. I was in special ed in years 6-8, at the start of year 9 I was kicked out for "Being a corruptive influence on other students on the spectrum". I also got the "your're to smart too be in Special Ed" talk from a number of teachers.

To be honest I kinda felt that many of the students in Special Ed didn't need to be there, rather it was more of a case of over-concerned parents nagging the school into giving their children assistance they didn't need. Perhaps bit of tough love on behalf of the establishment may have gone a long way to helping a number of the students get somewhere after they finished school?

I never struggled to achieve decent results in mainstream classes, I was top of English and History classes, did reasonably well in science. In senior high school most of the NT kids saw me as just another nerd who was more interested in Shakespeare than Twilight/Harry Potter. Although it all came to nothing, as we all ended up graduating into an economy that wipes its backside with high school certificates/diplomas.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 1:21 pm

DarkAscent wrote:
I am a special needs student. This thread reminds me of primary school and secondary school. I went to a mainstream secondary school without any support for my deafness and autism, and my memories of school are mostly painful because I was bullied and ostracized by my peers and my teachers had no understanding. Now, I board at a special school for the deaf and it's wonderful, a truly wonderful school to be at. I originally sat the exams for their secondary school and passed with high marks but couldn't attend because the local authorities refused to fund my place and because my headteacher at primary school was very ignorant of disabilities and thought that I was doing well enough and so refused to support me too. It is a life changing experience from having virtually no support at school to having full support and understanding.

It was very difficult and the experience that I went through at mainstream schools was soul destroying and it's sad to think that I'm not the only one who has gone through this and that I won't be the last. I think that all people with disabilities should receive support and understanding in school with their disability or disabilities.

Very short post. Have class now so must go.

As an aside, I lived in Southern Wisconsin almost 30 years ago, specifically around Delavan/Darien/Lake Geneva/Whitewater. Several of the churches in the area gave a concert at Delavan High School. The best choir and performing group I heard and saw was the LC-MS group connected with the Wisconsin School for the Deaf. High praise indeed from someone who had the nasty disposition of a Johannes Brahms. :wink:

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 12:33 am

I was told this after being diagnosed and that it was a marvel that I'd done so well in education until I could take it no longer and flamed out. I don't even know what being supported in an education environment would have done for my aspirations. I am slowly growing to be immensely proud of all I had to learn around the studying which went much further in scope and depth and will hopefully enable me to have success when I reach a plateau to build another chapter of life from.