Effects of sleep deprivation on aspies

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

babyheart
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2014, 10:46 am

Sleep deprivation affects everyone.

Btw, it's also used as a tool for interrogating criminals as they are more likely to crack after being sleep deprived.

P.S. PLEASE No PMs. Thank you! : )

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 10:55 am

I know I need 8 1/2-9 hrs sleep but I rarely get it

reasoning." --William Blake

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:12 am

I think that is because for people with autism social events can take a lot more energy than for neurotypicals....and in general being well rested is a good state to be in before doing something that takes a lot of energy. I don't think she was implicating sleep deprivation does anything specific to aspies that it doesn't do to other people...I doubt it makes us more autistic in any way. But yeah it can effect brain functioning but it will even do that to a normal brain though I am sure different individuals have varying experiences when it comes to sleep deprivation.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:17 am

MehruneMath wrote:
I can still think logically while sleep deprived, albeit my social abilities fly out the metaphorical window. When lacking a proper nights sleep I seem to have more anxiety and less concentration on boring/mundane work as well.

How much sleep deprivation are you talking though?...with more extreme sleep deprivation the thinking logically would probably not be a possibility.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 10:06 pm

Sleep deprivation is bad for EVERYONE. Trust me.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 11:04 pm

When I'm tired because I need to go to bed, I'm pretty cranky and have an extremely short fuse. My patience is usually short, but then it's practically non-existent.

When I'm tired because I haven't slept enough, it's a bit like above, but a little less pronounced, and in addition I'll be sluggish and lower on energy than usual (and that's saying something for someone who is hypoactive). I'm less with.
Strangely you can sleep too long too though, and when I do, then I'm extremely sluggish and actually feeling worse than when I'm tired due to lack of sleep.

Everything in moderation, even sleep.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Oct 2014, 10:26 am

I find my anxiety is actually better when I'm tired. It's like part of my mind is too active with some things & being tired brings the level down towards normal range. A couple of the meds I'm on are supposed to make me tired but don't & I function better on em.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 1:49 pm

I think in general sleep deprivation can make bad things worse, make you less alert and make you less in control of yourself. So whether you are autistic or non-autistic it's not a good idea to do anything difficult when you haven't had enough sleep.

Having said that, I don't think I'm affected by sleep deprivation unless I haven't slept for days or something.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 2:29 pm

Yes, I guess I could say it makes me "worse" because even a little sleep deprivation makes me dramatically more irritable and likely to have a meltdown. Even my family don't believe me and think I'm doing it on purpose or something ( :( ) but the difference between a calm, laid-back lady and a raging b***h can be whether I had 8 hours of sleep or 6. It annoys my husband that I go to bed at 10 on weekdays, but I know by now it's the only way to avoid disaster.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 6:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
MehruneMath wrote:
I can still think logically while sleep deprived, albeit my social abilities fly out the metaphorical window. When lacking a proper nights sleep I seem to have more anxiety and less concentration on boring/mundane work as well.

How much sleep deprivation are you talking though?...with more extreme sleep deprivation the thinking logically would probably not be a possibility.

Forget about thinking logically. Thinking on its own is pretty much impossible let alone logical thinking.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2014, 6:42 pm

Don't know if it's AS related, but for me I suffer when I am deprived of sleep. Physically, and mentally. My heart rate increases (sometimes tachycadia), BP increases. I also suffer nasty night terrors when I'm deprived. Mentally it's hell.

But, on another note I've just started a polyphasic sleep experiment, which is oddly going well. I say odd because I thought I was going to suffer. Instead it appears to have improved a lot of things! Creativity, productivity, has gone through the roof.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 8:38 pm

babyheart wrote:
Sleep deprivation affects everyone.

Btw, it's also used as a tool for interrogating criminals as they are more likely to crack after being sleep deprived.

I can see why, once I was up for 5 days....that got pretty f***ing weird and not really in a good way so I could see how it could weaken ones resilience to that sort of thing, though it doesn't take the full 5 days before things start getting weird. And all I can say about why this happened was stupidity+feeling self destructive+adderall and well not the greatest experience I've had.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
MehruneMath wrote:
I can still think logically while sleep deprived, a

lbeit my social abilities fly out the metaphorical window. When lacking a proper nights sleep I seem to have more anxiety and less concentration on boring/mundane work as well.

Forget about thinking logically. Thinking on its own is pretty much impossible let alone logical thinking.

yes there is that.

GibbieGal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2014, 8:43 pm

nick007 wrote:
I find my anxiety is actually better when I'm tired. It's like part of my mind is too active with some things & being tired brings the level down towards normal range.

Me too! When I'm tired I tend to not care so much, or something. I'm a lot quieter, but I'm also a lot less likely to have anxiety.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 12:29 am

Divided autism community bonds over need to study sleep

Quote:
On 4 May, I spoke on a panel at the headquarters of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Rockville, Maryland. At the meeting, industry representatives, advocates — including myself — and parents of autistic children talked about issues pertaining to autism treatments.

As at most such autism meetings, tensions were high at times:

But something remarkable happened during the final open-discussion period. The room seemed to light up as parents and self-advocates alike talked about autism and problems with sleep. This is something with which we all struggle.

Also astonishing? The utter lack of research on autism and sleep. A PubMed search reveals nine clinical trials on autism and sleep in the past five years. Compare that with the more than 400 clinical trials of treatments for core autism features, such as social deficits, published over the same period. This is absurd given the demonstrable need for solutions to sleep problems in autistic people: Difficulties with sleep are at least twice as common in autistic people as in the general population.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 1:01 am

I can say with absolute certainty that being Autistic is a major factor in sleep deprivation. Because of the huge amount of anxiety that all types of ASDs experience, sleep will always be a major challenge for us. Classics, Aspies and Savants will always had problems in this area.

I know the pharmaceutical drug Remeron is an excellent way to manage sleeplessness but unfortunately I lost a very good job because of the difficulties I have always had in the workplace relating to NTs so I'm at a job now that has very, very poor health coverage. Thus I can't afford Remeron right now as it's a little over $50 a month and out of my budget range.

And because I haven't been using Remeron, sleeplessness has plagued me seriously for the past 3 months. So my usual routine these days is to sleep 4 hours, wake up, have a panic attack, get angry and stim for an hour or two then manage maybe one more hour of sleep, and then get up and go to work.

Just another personal hell that I have to endure. One of many.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)