if there was a mouse in your house, you would
get a non-kill trap and let it go in the woods 62%  62%  [ 69 ]
get a trap that kills 38%  38%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 111

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 4:58 am

are aspies nicer to animals than nts? if there was a mouse in your house, would you get a non-kill trap and set it free in the woods, or a snap trap/glue trap that kills?
i'd go for the non-kill trap.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:58 am

I don't have mice in my house. I have a cat...

I rescue mice from him and rehome them in the wood pile.

If I manage to take it off him before he kills it he gets a treat.

If he brings me pressies and leaves dead animals by the front door I leave them there to show my disgust.

I think he's run out of mice though.

His last 3 catches were baby rabbits :roll:

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:06 am

In my former place were 2 mice, though I have 3 cats.
One day one cat caught one mouse and I caught the mouse from the cat and put her in freedom.
I also caught the second mouse and put her in freedom.
I cannot use mousetraps, I hate animals being hurt.
Now I do not have mice anymore.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 7:01 am

mice are clean and sober little animals. mice are very smart.

1. many people think that if they do not intervene when they see mice in their domestic territory, that the mice will breed indiscriminately and soon rise in numbers until they are in plague proportions.

2. many people believe that mice carry serious diseases and their historic association with the bubonic plague (along with rats) renders them unsanitary and dangerous.

3. many people also are incapable of imagining that a living consciousness could exist in such a small head as a mouse's.

1 (response) . mice will only breed with consideration to how much food is available to them. the TV stories that one sees of mice population explosions in insufficiently sealed grain silo's engenders an apathetic notion in the average audience that all mice will breed like that without respect to the abundance of food.
i had a family of 8 mice that i calculated how much to feed, and their population size always remained at 8. they were patient and waited calmly on the concrete ledge around my unused garage for 4 years without encroaching on me or becoming impatient to be fed. they were my pets and they were very calm and orderly and smart when they were fed merely a sufficient amount to fill all their bellies. they

2 (response): mice are very clean. my mice (not indoor pets but ones that i befriended that came from the wild bushland around my house) always preened themselves almost obsessively while they sat perched on the concrete ledge of my garage waiting for me to feed them. they licked their hands and wiped their whisker's and they also licked their fur in a methodical and efficient way that made me aware of their attention to hygiene (when they are happy).

3 (response): mice are very small animals, and many people think of them as conscious-less and unthinking bits of meat filled fur that scurry around underfoot with no inherent worthiness of sentient consideration. no more worthy of love than bacteria. but every little mouse can trust, and trust is worth more than a galaxy of sterile reason. it is more complex and inevitable than reason can ever guage.

if one has to trap and remove mice from ones territory, then it would be be better to ..................

i do not know. if one scoops up a number of mice one night in a trap and relocates them without research, then they may be condemning each of those mice to an insufferable situation where they are dumped into an area that is already "owned" by other animals of their design.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 7:31 am

Mice are disgusting little creatures that s**t and piss everywhere and are a risk to health. Mice droppings can pass on several diseases to humans including hantavirus which can be deadly to humans. We live in the French countryside surrounded by fields of maize. At this time of the year when the weather starts to turn cooler and the farmers have harvested the maize, the mice look for something to eat and somewhere to shelter over winter. They are a huge nuisance in the countryside in places like this where thousands of the little sods try to gain entry to the houses. They can climb walls and gain access via the smallest of holes or ventilation gaps in the roof etc. I've found most spring based mouse traps to be ineffective and no matter how sensitive they are set the mice are very delicate and usually manage to steal the cheese or other bait off the traps without setting the traps off. I now put down glue traps. It is a special sort of glue that never sets and is extremely sticky. I put a blob of such glue down on a piece of cardboard with a tiny bit of cheese in the middle - this is very effective, the mice are unable to pull themselves out of the glue. The trapped mice can be taken outdoors and "disposed of" in whatever way you like. It is better than putting down poison too, because the poisoned mice tend to hide under the floorboards or other inaccessible places where they die and rot giving off a stench for a week or two before they are recycled into a number of meat flies. Glue boards are the most effective trap I've ever found for mice.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 7:33 am

TallyMan wrote:
Mice are disgusting little creatures that s**t and piss everywhere and are a risk to health. Mice droppings can pass on several diseases to humans including hantavirus which can be deadly to humans. We live in the French countryside surrounded by fields of maize. At this time of the year when the weather starts to turn cooler and the farmers have harvested the maize, the mice look for something to eat and somewhere to shelter over winter. They are a huge nuisance in the countryside in places like this where thousands of the little sods try to gain entry to the houses. They can climb walls and gain access via the smallest of holes or ventilation gaps in the roof etc. I've found most spring based mouse traps to be ineffective and no matter how sensitive they are set the mice are very delicate and usually manage to steal the cheese or other bait off the traps without setting the traps off. I now put down glue traps. It is a special sort of glue that never sets and is extremely sticky. I put a blob of such glue down on a piece of cardboard with a tiny bit of cheese in the middle - this is very effective, the mice are unable to pull themselves out of the glue. The trapped mice can be taken outdoors and "disposed of" in whatever way you like. It is better than putting down poison too, because the poisoned mice tend to hide under the floorboards or other inaccessible places where they die and rot giving off a stench for a week or two before they are recycled into a number of meat flies. Glue boards are the most effective trap I've ever found for mice.

mice that have to live in your area no doubt are like you describe.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 7:42 am

b9 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Curiously, nature has partly balanced the equation of the glut of mice in the corn fields by there being a large number of feral cats. These cats have no owners and just roam around the fields living on mice, small birds or anything else they can catch and eat. These cats avoid humans and have never known any pampering, warm cushions in winter or tins of cat food. In fact it is illegal to feed them in France as they too tend to be something of a pest and can carry the toxoplasmosis virus which can be very nasty to humans. They sleep where ever they find shelter such as in garages and farm outbuildings. This summer a feral cat managed to find its way into our attic where it gave birth to a litter of kittens - we just left her to it and she eventually left taking her kittens with her. We see them roaming the hedgerows now, hunting.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 7:46 am

b9 wrote:
i do not know. if one scoops up a number of mice one night in a trap and relocates them without research, then they may be condemning each of those mice to an insufferable situation where they are dumped into an area that is already "owned" by other animals of their design.

This is a conundrum. I did catch-and-release in deep woods far from any buildings. (There are deep woods available about an hour's drive from my house). I did this in the autumn when there would be food available but have no way of finding out what territorial competition there is.

I did this after finding mouse droppings in my cupboard near a chewed cereal box. So that was my own fault for having unsealed grains available. I discarded the cereal and cleaned the cabinet and all current cereals and grains that I buy go into glass jars. As you say, they breed with consideration to how much food is available so I make my food unavailable.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:16 am

TallyMan wrote:
b9 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Curiously, nature has partly balanced the equation of the glut of mice in the corn fields by there being a large number of feral cats. These cats have no owners and just roam around the fields living on mice, small birds or anything else they can catch and eat. These cats avoid humans and have never known any pampering, warm cushions in winter or tins of cat food.

that is not an issue they would be concerned about i imagine. i would still be me if i was never petted.

TallyMan wrote:
In fact it is illegal to feed them in France as they too tend to be something of a pest and can carry the toxoplasmosis virus which can be very nasty to humans. They sleep where ever they find shelter such as in garages and farm outbuildings. This summer a feral cat managed to find its way into our attic where it gave birth to a litter of kittens - we just left her to it ....
it is kind of astounding how arrogant humans are. you just "left her to it" did you?. that is good.
at least you did not exercise your "human right" to deny her of her heritage.
should i applaud your restraint or merely acknowledge that you are smart enough to know you have no real authority?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:25 am

I use diluted peppermint oil. In fact the weather is getting cooler. I have to start spraying before they come into the houses for the winter. Rodents won't come near peppermint and even better yet, a peppermint, spearmint combination and if you have mice they will leave. When we first got our house there were droppings from the previous owner who had mice. They neighbor attached to us also had them and was desperate because nothing they tried got rid of them. As I sprayed my house not only did they not come into my house but they left the neighbor's as well. This way you can keep it humane and not have to deal with disposing of the mice. When we lived in our apartment we had mice and we used the sticky traps. They caught my husband more than the mice. But the peppermint is less expensive, 100% organic and humane, cleaner, easier, and leaves the house smelling delicious and it's healthy for you. I spray every room twice a day, once in the morning once at night. You can also put straight oil in an essential oil dispenser. I have two constantly going in the basement.

By the way, mouse urine is what can be deadly to humans more than feces.

Here is a link to the best mouse go away product I have ever seen. I think they still have the sachets too which are awesome. I have purchased from these people before and I love them. The customer service is excellent and the products are top of the line.

http://www.dreamingearth.com/catalog/pc ... y-p360.htm

I use straight peppermint that I buy at the health food store essential oil section just because it is less expensive. It has never stained or damaged the surface of anything in my house. Tallyman, in your case, I would try the peppermint, spearmint combination that they sell since it is more potent.

You can also put mint and peppermint plants around the base of your house and in your house and that will keep the mice and rats away as well. If you use both oil in the house and plants outside and in the house you should be all set.

As far as feral cats, we have a colony here and they are the animal which is the highest carrier of rabies in our state and we are the state which has the highest rabies in the US. And my street is the most concentrated rabies area because the lady down the street feeds the feral cats and they have kittens all the time. But fortunately as long as you don't approach them they don't come after you so we have never had a person bitten so we just leave them alone and the SPCA does their best to deal with that lady.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 12 Sep 2014, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:52 am

B9, mice are clean in the fact that they clean themselves like pretty much most animals do. The problem is that even though they may be clean, their urine can still be deadly to humans. If you live in an environment where the mice have a natural home and you develop a relationship with them like you have where there is mutual respect, that is fine and wonderful. Even with our rabid feral cats in our neighborhood, they are not a problem because we don't put them in a situation where they pose a real danger. Our little neighborhood kids play in the alley all day and none of them have even been bitten. I did not even know the cats were a problem until my friend who works for the SPCA told me.

But in the city or in the case of Talleyman, where the mice come into the homes in DROVES for the harsh winters, and we have had situations when we lived in a city apartment where we had hundreds of them, it becomes a serious problem. I remember the last apartment we lived in, the whole building was so infested that we were catching them in sticky traps in the multitudes. I had to go somewhere one time and I had put on my sneakers and I was a mile down the road and felt the tiniest little flicker in my foot. I pulled over and took off my shoe and a mouse fell out. He had bitten my toe two or three times and I had never felt it. I had to go to the hospital immediately to get a tetanus shot. In a situation like yours, B9, that is great and it works. But in the inner city where the infestations can get to dangerous and out of control proportions, you have to get rid of them.

Wreck It Ralph

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:53 am

b9 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
b9 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Curiously, nature has partly balanced the equation of the glut of mice in the corn fields by there being a large number of feral cats. These cats have no owners and just roam around the fields living on mice, small birds or anything else they can catch and eat. These cats avoid humans and have never known any pampering, warm cushions in winter or tins of cat food.

that is not an issue they would be concerned about i imagine. i would still be me if i was never petted.

TallyMan wrote:
In fact it is illegal to feed them in France as they too tend to be something of a pest and can carry the toxoplasmosis virus which can be very nasty to humans. They sleep where ever they find shelter such as in garages and farm outbuildings. This summer a feral cat managed to find its way into our attic where it gave birth to a litter of kittens - we just left her to it ....
it is kind of astounding how arrogant humans are. you just "left her to it" did you?. that is good.
at least you did not exercise your "human right" to deny her of her heritage.
should i applaud your restraint or merely acknowledge that you are smart enough to know you have no real authority?

No need to be nasty. I meant I simply resisted the temptation to put down any food or water as that would encourage them to become dependent up me instead of them fending for themselves, as they will need to do, especially during the hard winter when food (mice) become more scarce.

devin12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2014, 9:50 am

My goodness, certainly you would want a non-kill trap and release it in the woods. If you were worried about your safety for any reason you could wear heavy duty cleaning gloves when releasing it. It is a living being whether you believe in karma or not. A mouse is a sentient being. It feels just like any other living creature.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 10:26 am

I live next to a county meadow no doubt full of field mice and voles. The only mouse I've had to deal with was one brought in for me by my cat via the cat flap as I had been in bed for a few days with crippling back pain. He was feeding his poorly dad. :)
I got out my bed and struggled on crutches to corner the mouse in the kitchen, it took refuge behind the cooker but somehow I got it in to a long plastic cylinder without much problem. I then opened the door and let it scamper back to the meadow keeping the cat in long enough for it to escape.

My cat flap has since been 'exit only'.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 10:50 am

I do not live near woods.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 10:55 am

Well i have cats and they eat the mice, so no mousetraps....otherwise probably the no kill ones.