Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

I got taken out of mainstream education and went to a residential school for girls who had behaviour problems. I left there when I was 17 with no qualifications.

I did however enter into education later on where I eventually and unintentionally ended up at university. I was doing politics and sociology.

However due to financial circumstances and the fact that I was working fulltime to support both my daughter (who has AS) and myself I had to drop out.

I did walk away with an exit award which equates to something (not sure what), but it does mean that the door isn't fully closed. I can pick it back up again when my circumstances are better.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2014, 5:17 pm

I was undiagnosed for 40 years despite my obvious struggles.

I did poorly in high school because I was too distracted (teenage hormones) and not interested in the subjects taught. I didn't even carry a C-average.

I later studied on my owned and tested up to bring my grades high enough to qualify for college. I took my home country's version of the SAT and scored in the top one percentile.

I got accepted into the country's finest law school (equal to Harvard). I was too distracted with getting to know people on Internet to truly care about my school work I was still able to carry a B-average.

During my second year, I met a girl on the Internet and she liked me! My first girlfriend ever and I was in love. I dropped out of law school, packed my bags, moved to United States, and married her. Hey! Dropping out of a respected law school to marry a girl you barely know is sensible! Right?

I got a full-time job, but decided to take night classes because I wanted a bachelor degree. I was able to graduate with a BA in History from a decent college with a 3.876 GPA

Right now, I am slowly making my way toward a MA in history. I'm currently carry a 4.0 GPA half-way through. My biggest problem is not academics but remembering to signing up for classes and do everything else to get myself enrolled for the semester. I have missed several semesters because I forgot about deadlines and even signing up for the wrong classes by mistake. I did that mistake last month and that's why I'm not in school this semester.

Last edited by Swiper on 14 Sep 2014, 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 5:19 pm

Last edited by tall-p on 15 Sep 2014, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 5:38 pm

Quote:
I'm curious to see how successful other people on the spectrum were in high school and/or college.

Did you drop out in high school? - If yes, what grade and why?

? Once in junior year and again at end of senior, but was allowed to graduate when I quickly caught up a bunch of work. Was due to anxiety and just hating students and teachers. I tested top of school but got bad grades.

Quote:
Did you drop out in college/university? -If yes, then why?

? Three different times, due to sensory overload and anxiety, lack of communication skills needed, but then I went back many years later and finished with help from my then bf. I managed to get good grades at university.
Quote:
Had you already been diagnosed?

? No.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 7:13 pm

i did drop out, but i was expecting to get homeschooled, it didnt work out. I dropped out because i was having meltdowns everyday, and becoming very very Violent and anxious. it got to the point where i had Insomnia,severe stomach aches, suicidal thoughts, and eventually i was hospitalized. I dropped out in the last semester of grade 10, but i came back this year. Im doing much better now, I have classed for people with learning differences and behaviour problems and the school is trying to get me to graduate this year.

(( EDIT: yes i was diagnosed in 2012))

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 7:27 pm

Never dropped out, but haven't gained anything from graduating college

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 7:43 pm

I never dropped out because my mom pushed me enough to keep going. I guess I should be lucky she did. However, I had a lot of problems with teachers. They didn't take my autism seriously and always thought I was making excuses. It really sucked because they weren't seeing my struggles, even when they were really obvious.

I've never been to college because my disabilities are too severe for it. I think it would cause far too much stress for me, so I'd rather not try to go. Once I graduated high school, I decided I would be done with school. There was no way I'd be able to handle that all over again. I was diagnosed with autism at the age of twelve, so by the time I reached high school, I already had a diagnosis. The only problem is that my parents never explained it to me. I ended up finding about it during my computer class in my junior year. We were looking over our IEPs, and mine said 'A', which stood for Autism.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 9:06 pm

Didn it make it that far. Dropped out in 9th grade primary school.

After spending most of my school years in a special class. Which was really just a place to keep us speciel kids out and away from trouble and from the normal classes.
Didn learn anything. It was basically just a waste of time, so was already hopelessly behind, not that i think i would have gotten much further anyways, but still.

Ahh yes school, i will always remember that place as the worst time in my life.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 9:12 pm

I dropped out of college. I did not know that I was on the Spectrum. I had no idea. But college had become so stressful for me that even though I was on the dean's list the entire time and I had made the National Honor Society and I had a really good GPA, I could no longer keep up with the sensory stresses. I kept having meltdowns and I was struggling with executive function issues and not able to get my senior project underway. I was skipping classes because I could not tolerate the sounds students would make snapping gum in the classroom. I was a nervous wreck. I was probably melting down every few days. I was headbanging and it just got to the point where I was so severely affected by my sensory issues that I could barely function. I was also having physical issues. My neck muscles had become so tight that I was not getting enough oxygen to my brain. This has been an issue for a lot of my life but no one had ever diagnosed it because I was always labelled a hypochondriac for all of my issues. It was not until years later after I left school that we figured this out as well. So between my sensory issues and my inability to function physically, I could no longer sustain the strain of my last year of college and dropped out. I had intended to finish but I never had the ability to go back because I did not know about what was causing my issues until over a decade later.

Wreck It Ralph

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

I dropped out of high school, but I did take some classes at a community college years later.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 10:23 pm

I dropped out of college after a year. I tried going back to it just for a couple classes instead of the whole course for the next year and couldn't handle the stress. I don't think I could ever go back to be honest with how I am now.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 10:29 pm

I dropped out of college in the middle of my third semester. I wanted to drop out of high school, as soon as I was old enough, but my parents wouldn't let me. And I debated running away from home so I could do it anyway, but decided I did want to try going on to college to study music. It was a disaster that destroyed what little confidence I had in myself, destroyed my love of music and really set me back emotionally. I couldn't cope with the social environment, living in a dorm and just being f*****g surrounded by people 24 hours a day so I could never be alone. And it had been hyped up to me that when I went to college I would be in my own element intellectually, but instead, I was just bored out of my mind, the same way I had always been bored in school. I probably chose the wrong college, and a teacher urged me to transfer somewhere else, but by the time I got there the damage was already done. I was too burned out from years of frustration, and it was such a total disappointment to find out college was no better, it just crushed me.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 8:58 am

loner1984 wrote:
...Ahh yes school, i will always remember that place as the worst time in my life.

Me too.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 9:06 am

Middle school was especially rough for me because the males became rather aggressive, and the popular girls would learn to hate the weaker males. I had decent interaction with girls during elementary school, middle school ended up undoing all of that, and it was with the especially aggressive males that I learned i that couldn't open myself to others anymore, which is something that I keep to this day.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2014, 11:11 am

Did you drop out in high school?
No

If no, then how successful were you during your high school years?
I graduated in the top ten (grade point average) of the students in my graduating class of over 100 students. As stated in the high school yearbook when I graduated, I was said to have swept the senior awards assembly. I earned both academic and music scholarships as well as perfect attendance in high school.

Did you drop out in college/university?
No

If no, then how successful were you throughout college/university?
I graduated with honors and earned my education degree. I quickly got my Master's Degree after gaining employment as a teacher (a position I still hold).

No, I graduated from high school and college before Asperger's was a diagnosis in America. I was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 11:50 am

calstar2 wrote:
Did you drop out in high school?
- If yes, what grade and why?
- If no, then how successful were you during your high school years?
Did you drop out in college/university?
-If yes, then why?
-If no, then how successful were you throughout college/university?

I prefer the term "escaped" over drop out, as drop out has connotations that are erroneous when applied to me.

Grade 11. Why? Asperger's.

College? Yes. Why? Asperger's.

Diagnosed back then? No.