Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 7:17 pm

I don't wear it but i noticed that many dentist in my country (Poland) prescribe braces for kids i just wonder does braces have any medical value expect draining money from parents and making kids and young adults looking like Frankenstein monsters :D

I never had it and still live, so what the fuss?

But on the other hand, when was the last time I was at the ophthalmologist, he said I have mild myopia, but he told me not to worry, because with such a small disadvantage -0.5 diopter, I can get a driver's license or even pilot licenses:-)

I just have to go with glasses, but they did not buy, because I would look bad in glasses.

The fat man with glasses, people would have a good laugh :D

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm

I find them attractive, albeit not as much as I used to. I don't know why...something to do with metal juxtaposed with flesh.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 5:33 am

Having your teeth/jaw properly aligned has these benefits.

1. Cosmetics. Looks count. A deformed face due to excessive tooth/jaw misalignment means you won't get as much opportunity who is more pleasant to look at.

2. Improved speech. While everyone tends to learn how to compensate, a properly formed/aligned mouth helps you to speak better.

3. Easier to care for. Brushing and flossing techniques are designed for properly aligned and spaced teeth. Crooked teeth can have pockets where you just can't clean as effectively.

Good/poor oral hygiene is linked to many other long-term health benefits/ailments.

It's also easier to get on top of all of this when a child is getting their permanent teeth than to wait until they are an adult. At least in my generation, most times a kid's braces are covered (in part) under a parent's health/dental plan at work, so it's cheaper than letting them wait until they are an adult and no longer covered.

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2014, 5:37 pm

Clearly a good thing, and why kids and even adults of different ages get braces in. Though my teeth were crooked, the dentist we saw was even more so and tried to palm me off saying I couldn't get the treatment on the NHS due to them not being deformed enough, so I'd have to pay him several grand to go private. Eventually after the kind work of some adults I had braces fitted shortly before my 19th birthday. Two years of ulcers, brushing thrice a day and occasionally snapping a bracket on an innocuous food later I now have teeth I don't mind showing the world, although they're still imperfect. It's been worth the investment of two years and a further year or so of remembering my retainer wherever I went. Onto the reasons for having your teeth/jaw properly aligned I'd like to add that a crowded mouth may cause pain. The argument for me getting my teeth done on the NHS was that if I didn't I would experience pain with them in later life.