Why some people argue that suing you country is unpatriotic

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm

I mean European court of justice

http://www.humanrightseurope.org/2014/0 ... s-protest/

A few years ago, our Polish police confiscated weapons collections of a certain old man, veteran of the Warsaw Uprising, he took an active part in the uprising even though was then only 12 years old, his father was one of the leaders of the Warsaw Uprising.

In 2008, the police arranged a raid on his apartment and commandeered collections of weapons, because he did not have the required permit for the weapon, but he did not have to have the permit because the weapon was a long time faulty, then our Polish court acquitted the man of the charge of illegal possession of arms, but stated that even though gun lacks the functional characteristics, it is very easy to restore the combat prowess, for the ordered forfeiture collections to the State.

The old man did not give up and gave the case to the European Court of Justice in Strasbourg and won, now the Polish government has to give him collections and pay compensation.

Some Polish political commentators joke that the old man claiming to be Polish patriot, but is suing the government to the ECHR, thereby undermining the sovereignty and independence of the Polish courts.

Some believe the ECHR is an artificial construct threatening Polish independence.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 4:54 am

Well those people are conflating the country and the government.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 6:36 am

European Court predated the EU, and was established to stop states from spying on and harassing its citizens.

So long as it sticks to that mandate I have no problem with it. Problem is that mandate has long been hijacked. In fact it is the pretext to signup, to he EU other independent recognition that go them into into that arrangement.

Note the European Court didn't rule he can have his weapons back, they have no power to do so.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 7:35 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
I mean European court of justice

http://www.humanrightseurope.org/2014/0 ... s-protest/

Some Polish political commentators joke that the old man claiming to be Polish patriot, but is suing the government to the ECHR, thereby undermining the sovereignty and independence of the Polish courts.

I grew up in a Roman Catholic dominated country but left at 17.
Then spent 7 years living in a Protestant dominated country.
And then went to live for 23 years in an Anglican country.
Now I am back in my Roman catholic country.

It's a peculiarity of Roman Catholics to ridicule that what falls outside their comfort zone wether it be political, cultural or social. Poland is a very Roman Catholic country and these commentators are probably a cultural representation of old school mentality.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 8:55 am

I think it has nothing to do with religion or Catholicism.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 9:52 am

0_equals_true wrote:
European Court predated the EU, and was established to stop states from spying on and harassing its citizens.

So long as it sticks to that mandate I have no problem with it. Problem is that mandate has long been hijacked. In fact it is the pretext to signup, to he EU other independent recognition that go them into into that arrangement.

Note the European Court didn't rule he can have his weapons back, they have no power to do so.

This weapon has not been operational so I do not know if you recognize this weapon as a weapon in the full sense of the word. Anyway, our government has decided to give him it back, if they not have to do so why our government give it back?