Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 8:58 am

This idea was brought up to me in a post made by EzraS. Anyway, let's say that autism was rated in a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being very mild to 10 being very severe. On that scale, how severe would you say your autism/AS is? I'm just curious to know what you think about this.

For me, I think mine ranges from 1 to 6. My autism reacts to my moods at times. If I'm having a bad day, I can be really snappy and irritable to my parents. If I'm having a good day, I can go about that day as normally as possible. Most of my issues are relatively mild and don't affect me as greatly, but they can still affect me. I have mostly mild impairments in social skills, sensory issues and routines, but I do notice when something changes at the last minute for me, I can get extremely upset by it. I also have severe meltdowns that result in heavy crying that makes it hard to breathe and intense rocking according to my mom. Sometimes, I do suffer from shut downs during those meltdowns. I do get insanely obsessed with certain things, depending on how much I put myself into them (An example would be my obsession with Loki).

That's pretty much the gist of it for me. So, what about you? What's your rating scale for your autism/AS?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 9:47 am

Being Autistic is just a part of who I am. I am over 50 years old so I have had a lot of time to learn how to avoid, escape, or cope with my issues. Trying to put a number to it is like asking me how good or bad my days have been during my life.

I usually have good days, and am non verbal a lot of the time. Some days I want to talk. I have a meltdown every few months, but that depends on how much stress I am under. Sensory issues depend on what smells and sights I encounter, and if I can extract myself easily from them. I buy my own clothes, so my wardrobe is tagless and as soft and non binding as possible. Somedays rain bothers me, and somedays I ignore it. Same thing with pain, emotional or physical, somedays I hurt easily and others I am mostly immune.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2014, 9:50 am

This is hard, because I do not know where most people would consider LFA to begin. At an 8 maybe? I would say I'm a 5-6.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 10:47 am

Ninety percent of the time, I would be at Level 1-2. Nine percent of the time, I would be at Level 5-6. And, one percent of the time, I would be a Level 9-10.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 24 Sep 2014, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 10:59 am

well i cant say, i cant adapt to change at all and i cant function on my own very well, so id say that itself is a 7, my sensory issues are mild but create problems so id say its a 5, my obsessions and repetativity is a strong 10, but my social and communication skills are quite good, so id say about a 2 or 2.5.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 11:02 am

On most days I'm a 6.5, but on my worst days I have been 9 or even 10.

Edit: actually more a 7.5 on the days when I am forced to go out. Going out without support maybe 8. Home = protected environment.

Last edited by SteelMaiden on 24 Sep 2014, 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 11:03 am

7-8.5 for me. Around people self might smile and ask a question or two. I have to be coached through basic social skills. Can quickly become unresponsive from environment, and at times start injuring self...frustration every day:
behavior
functioning
communicating
supports

Last edited by Lumi on 24 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2014, 11:59 am

For the most part, I guess I fall around 1-3. Some days are more "stimmy" than others, meaning I'm more likely to rock or flap my hands even in public. Those days would be more like 3, I think. The (thankfully) rare days I have meltdowns are probably between 5 and 7. I almost always can control myself enough until I am alone before lashing out. My meltdowns consist of slamming my back against a wall, throwing stuff, and/or hitting and biting myself. And the meltdowns generally last less than 10 minutes. After meltdowns, I am very quiet and absorbed in my computer stuff like listening to the same song repetitively. My parents have difficulty getting me to say more than a few words or a sentence without it escalating to shouting out of frustration because all I want is to be left alone for a while.

Also, I've noticed when I am sick, like I have a cold now, I care less about masking my autistic behaviors in public and am more likely to stim, obsess over something, or get noticeably agitated by changes in my routine.

http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html

-Socially awkward and special interests don't mean autism.-

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 12:22 pm

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm

With me, it really depends on how you look at it. In some ways I'm more severe, & in other ways I'm more mind. However, if we're including the whole spectrum, I'd probably guess I'd be about a 4.5 out of 10.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 12:28 pm

Well, I would like to think I'm around a 5 or 6----but, I've been trying to get out of the house for over a WEEK to get groceries, and I'm not doing so well (that, maybe, sounds like an 8 or 9). It might just be that ol' inertia thing----you know, "what's at rest, stays at rest"----but, I think it's more than that 'cause trying to figure everything out about how to do it (should I take a bus or cab----can't really afford a cab, but they won't let my little "bag-lady cart" on the bus, etc.), is overwhelming me. I really need to figure it out soon, though, cuz I only have 2 eggs, and half a bag of broccoli left!!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 7:22 pm

Usually I would say I was one, or a two- judging myself.

Dont know how folks around me would judge me. In my old age I come off as pretty bland and normal to folks who know me superficially.

The doc who dxd me said that when he interviewed my sister, and my gf, he was pleased at how "forthcoming" both of them were. So I guess folks who know me well have...uhmmm...A LOT to say about me! So those kinda folks might judge as some higher number than I or recent aquaintences would.

Right now I feel like a ten. I just got a root canal. Its not the injury (physical or financial). Its the insult. I just cant crack the whip on myself to floss regularly. That may or may not be related to aspergers. But if is than that one thing alone costs me so much hassle and money-that you might as well call me LOW functioning.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 8:50 pm

I'd say either 1 or 2, or 1-2.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

WeeYank
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Sep 2014, 9:43 pm

Oren wrote:

:evil: :lol:

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 9:59 pm

It's kind of hard for me to judge myself, especially since I haven't met or had close contact with many others with autism. I was initially thinking simply in terms of meltdowns and stimming, and sensory issues, which would probably put me at a 3.5 most of the time.

But factoring in all the social things and need for routines, I'd say 5 or 6 would be more accurate for me on a normal day, and 7 to 9 on my worst days, rarely a 10. As a kid I would have been closer to 8 on a normal day, 9 or 10 on the worst. I had severe meltdowns like every other day until I was around 8 or 9 years old.

I'm not sure if I should be factoring in coping or not. Because I can seem pretty normal and cope in ways that are not obvious, I don't usually feel a need to stim. I always have problems communicating and connecting socially though, I hardly ever feel like I'm really involved in a social situation. But the above would be accurate assuming it was solely based on intensity of symptoms, whether or not they are obvious to others.

- Sherlock Holmes

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 2:15 am

I am not sure well because I would have to know how different others really see me and I am not even sure how bad I am at reading that.

As for the Autism Spectrum probably high. On the Aspergers subspectrum I was diagnosed moderately severe. I have seen little reason to doubt that. I see Aspies who are savants, in loving marriages with kids, figured out how be very successful in the NT working world in an Autistic way (I am not underestimating the pain, strain,willpower it took to for them to achieve this). I have never been in a relationship and am living at home in my 50's. Yet I have held jobs for 7+ years. My sensory is so mild (See my post in the sensory thread) . Executive functions are s**t, repetitive routines and the rest of it are there. . So where does that put me? This is why autism is confusing for all concerned

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman