I got a job after a pleasant recruitment process

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 3:55 am

So I finally got a job. Really happy now, finally I can move out and get something productive done!

The recruitment process was really nice. They first paid my trip to the company headquarters. And when I get there, I had a nice conversation about games before the interview started. The interview itself was mostly focused on the company and how successful it was. There were no programming questions during the interview, but I got an assignment to do. I had a week to do it, invested a lot of time in it. They liked my solution to it and I got the job!

This seems like the best way to go about it. Giving people task / questions during the interview is kinda unfair in my opinion because some ( like me ) struggle to do things on the stop. And the fact that I struggle to do things on the spot says nothing about my abilities as a programmer.

My only concern is that it's a small company with few people so I feel I'll have to be social, that I can't hide as much as I'd like. But the people there seem friendly and geeky. I had a good tone with the ones I met, so I guess it could be alright.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 4:22 am

morslilleole wrote:
So I finally got a job. Really happy now, finally I can move out and get something productive done!

The recruitment process was really nice. They first paid my trip to the company headquarters. And when I get there, I had a nice conversation about games before the interview started. The interview itself was mostly focused on the company and how successful it was. There were no programming questions during the interview, but I got an assignment to do. I had a week to do it, invested a lot of time in it. They liked my solution to it and I got the job!

This seems like the best way to go about it. Giving people task / questions during the interview is kinda unfair in my opinion because some ( like me ) struggle to do things on the stop. And the fact that I struggle to do things on the spot says nothing about my abilities as a programmer.

My only concern is that it's a small company with few people so I feel I'll have to be social, that I can't hide as much as I'd like. But the people there seem friendly and geeky. I had a good tone with the ones I met, so I guess it could be alright.

I did work for a very small company that had the "tryout period" method of recruiting interns and employees. It is very rarely used but it is a good method.
I prefer small companies. Less noise and more of a friendly even family atmosphere, usually less office politics. Yes you can't hide as much. But it also means your strengths have a better chance of being observed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2014, 4:25 am

Excellent, congratulations! You must feel quite satisfied.

I would also struggle to do things on the spot. In university I always fared better with take-home exams, where I had a limited amount of time (a week, say) to solve a set of problems. Having to do this on the black board right away with someone breathing down one's neck can be difficult.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 4:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I did work for a very small company that had the "tryout period" method of recruiting interns and employees. It is very rarely used but it is a good method.
I prefer small companies. Less noise and more of a friendly even family atmosphere, usually less office politics. Yes you can't hide as much. But it also means your strengths have a better chance of being observed.

Small companies does indeed seem friendlier and less strict, you can do, act, dress etc however you want. So if I do something weird, it's okay! =D

It seems if I do good, it'll be very positive and if I do bad it'll be very negative.

SweetTooth wrote:
Excellent, congratulations! You must feel quite satisfied.

I would also struggle to do things on the spot. In university I always fared better with take-home exams, where I had a limited amount of time (a week, say) to solve a set of problems. Having to do this on the black board right away with someone breathing down one's neck can be difficult.

Thank you =)

Yeah... Worst thing is that some companies ( *cough* Google ) have 4-5 of these 45 minute long interviews a day. I'd be dead by the end. But I guess it's very fulfilling if you do get the job after that.

Home assignments are very nice, I heavily prefer them. The major downside is that people can cheat. But this could be controlled by a short technical interview after the assignment.