Both 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Neither 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24

LaMereLoi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2016, 8:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Patwa, or "Patois," is creolized French which is spelled phonetically (e.g., "patwa" for "patois).

Yeah, and Patois is actually the French word for "dialect spoken by peasants or locally".

The main patois derive either from "la langue d'oil", the main dialect of Northern France, or from "la langue d'oc", the langage from the South of France -the operative Mason-Dixon line here being the Loire Valley.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

France is such a pretty country.

So is England.

But the difference between the two landscapes is evident immediately after one crosses the Chunnel.

The Loire Valley is really scenic.

LaMereLoi

25 Apr 2016, 1:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
France is such a pretty country.

But the difference between the two landscapes is evident immediately after one crosses the Chunnel.

The Loire Valley is really scenic.

I can only agree. I would go for pretty and beautiful, depending on the sceneries.

The Loire Valley is very artificial and staged. I like it but it is one of the most man made in France (with the Mediterranean region, of course). Both kings and vineyards went into shaping it.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 7:00 am

LaMereLoi wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Patwa, or "Patois," is creolized French which is spelled phonetically (e.g., "patwa" for "patois).

Yeah, and Patois is actually the French word for "dialect spoken by peasants or locally".

My mom's immediate family growing up all spoke that, they never did teach it to her but she said she went to learn french in the attempt to understand what they were saying but it failed xD

LaMereLoi

26 Apr 2016, 7:05 am

green0star wrote:
LaMereLoi wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

My mom's immediate family growing up all spoke that, they never did teach it to her but she said she went to learn french in the attempt to understand what they were saying but it failed xD

My mothertongue is French, I have studied Spanish and Latin (same linguistic family) and I am having a hard time understanding my grandmother when she cracks jokes in her patois that stems from Occitan.
There is actually a song I find very touching in Occitan. I am going to put the link here.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 1:38 am

laissons tomber le luxembourgeois pour l'instant, incomprehensible comme le Schwiizerdüütsch, il y a l'alsacien

TheEndIsNearUs
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2016, 1:19 pm

Ils n'enseignent pas le francais canadien en l'ecole, alors... je parle francais european seulement :)

End ★ 20 ★ Male ★ Capricorn ★ ISTJ-T

Kovu
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2016, 1:24 pm

TheEndIsNearUs wrote:
Ils n'enseignent pas le francais canadien en l'ecole, alors... je parle francais european seulement :)

Moi aussi. Je connais Belgique et la France, mais je voudrais visiter le Canada francophone dans le futur.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 8:28 am

LaMereLoi wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
as it should, i suppose, when you have an entire ocean between the regions.

Well, it is said in France that French Canadians speak like French did in the 17th Century. I don't know if that is true.

What I find most difficult to understand on French Canadian is the Frenchising of English words.
But I am really fond of their curse words. "Tabernacle" and so forth are litteraly rib-cracking material.

But they are other French dialects like Occitan

They use the word "tabernacle" as a "cuss word"???????????

Has the "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" ever performed in Quebec? Do they have to change their name when they tour there? lol!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 8:42 am

green0star wrote:
LaMereLoi wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Kinda like studying the best Oxford British English in order to understand the speech of peasants in Jamaica (who speak a bastardized patois of English thats probably equivalent to the "French" spoken by Haitians).

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

Kré vin dju la Marie, rentr' in peu les 2 bieux qu'on lé kont!