Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:25 am

Skibz888 wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
Full Throttle!!

I love 'Full Throttle', though I think of all of LucasArts' adventure games, 'The Dig' is probably the most underrated. 'Day of the Tentacle' still reigns supreme as arguably the greatest adventure game of all time.

I heard of those, but I don't think I have played them. I just loved Full Throttle for the atmosphere and the main characters were so well done. I just watched the intro on youtube and I feel the nostalgia. This was one of the first pc games I played that actually had good sound and graphics, and was really funny. I still remember quite a few phrases of the game. The first times I played the save function didn't work so I had to finish the game in one sitting.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 7:11 am

trollcatman wrote:
I heard of those, but I don't think I have played them. I just loved Full Throttle for the atmosphere and the main characters were so well done. I just watched the intro on youtube and I feel the nostalgia. This was one of the first pc games I played that actually had good sound and graphics, and was really funny. I still remember quite a few phrases of the game. The first times I played the save function didn't work so I had to finish the game in one sitting.

Luckily, 'Full Throttle' is an incredibly short game...I'm pretty sure I finished it in one sitting the first time I got ahold of it. I remember being excited when LucasArts announced a sequel...and then being somewhat excited again when a different company announced a different sequel after the first one was cancelled...but now that 12 years has passed since that announcement, I can't say I'm as excited as I once was.

If you're not as well-versed in adventure games, LucasArts is easily the best place to start. They were the crème de la crème of the genre: 'The Secret of Monkey Island', 'Sam & Max Hit the Road', 'Maniac Mansion', 'Grim Fandango' and 'Day of the Tentacle' (the latter two also by 'Full Throttle''s Tim Schafer) are all benchmarks of the medium.

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2014, 9:27 pm

Oh god where do i begin...

Are we talking underrated as in: "purely by popular reviews."

or
underrated as in: "Generally popular reviews, but panned by most of the gaming community as a whole."

or just: "Good games few people have heard of."

If I where to name a few off the top of my head:
Geist
Alpha Centauri
Mech Assault: Phantom War
Phantasy Star Episode III
Chrono Cross (sequel to Crhono Trigger)
NFL Street series, and NFL Blitz series, and Blitz the league I & II
EndWar
GunZ I & II
The World Ends With you (aka It's a Wonderful World)
OddWorld: Stranger's Wrath

I could go on and on, but hey I have my opinions about what is a good game, and they tend to go against what most of the elitist game culture defines as "good."

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2015, 5:48 am

JitakuKeibiinB wrote:
Sonic 4 - Sure they're not as good as the originals, and the physics are wonky in Ep. 1, but they're still amazing games. And the fact that Ep. 2 got worse reviews than Ep. 1 is just crazy.

Sonic '06 - ...Just kidding. :P

The thing about Sonic 4 Episode 1 is the physics only used the Rush physics.
Also, Sonic 06 actually IS unfinished. The game would have been fine if it was released in 2007 or even 2008 but they rushed it out for Sonic's 15th anniversary. Travelers Tales when developing Mickey Mania skipped Mickey's 60th anniversary to have a more finished game. Sega, on the other hand...
Sonic 06 actually has a decent story ["BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KISSING?!"], while it could use a lot of polish [or Poland *ba dum tssh*] it would have been a great story. The glitches are from the rush.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 8:45 am

Catherine
Destroy all Humans 3 Path of Futon
Darkstalkers
Tales of Grace f
Serpent
Heroes of Might and Magic

I only know a few people who like some of the games in that list. I don't know anyone who likes Serpent.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 8:52 am

Strife. A mid-1990's FPS with a free-roaming world, good voice acting, and an excellent story. Since it came out at the same time as Quake, it never got the recognition it deserved.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 9:31 am

^^^ I remember Strife, was a pretty unique game at the time.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 7:57 pm

I remember trying out Strife back in 2008 when I was getting really into Skulltag. I thought it was pretty neat, though I never got too far on it.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2015, 7:49 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I guess the Pikmin games are pretty underrated although I've now seen small plushies of Pikimim at Wal-Mart. All the intelligence, creativity and depth of the characters, stages and enemies and yet we mainly see tons of Angry Birds and Minecraft merch.

Pikmin is closer to "obscure". Though the recent Pikmin 3 release probably helped. It isn't really my kind of game, though. It's good at what it is, I just don't like what it is. Still, there's a lot of people who love it.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

Sniper Elite 1 seems like a very under-appreciated game. I've been playing the Xbox edition, and it really stands out in terms of level design and player movement. Even the AI is exceptional at high difficulty, at least in comparison to Sniper Elite V2 and 3.

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm

There are a lot of games that come to mind when I think about underrated games, but the most obvious one I can think of is Chromehounds, an Xbox 360 exclusive. It is a slow-paced mech combat game (it plays more like a 3rd person shooter than Armored Core) where you're able to build your own mechs, join a squad and fight for one of three fictional countries in a conquest to control a map where territories can be captured by winning battles in it's cities and towns and subterritories. I explained it poorly but if you got the gist of what I was saying, it's suffice to say that it's one of the most interesting multiplayer experiences to ever come to a console and it's an incredible shame that FROM Software shut down it's servers and have yet to develop a sequel. The singleplayer of the game is boring (which is why the reviews are so poor) and the game was not incredibly well balanced but it's novelty makes it stand out in my mind to this very day.

The now famous YouTube reviewer AngryJoe made this video about it a while ago and he has serious nerd cred from me for remembering Chromehounds:

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2015, 11:56 pm

If anyone knows what this is from, you're bloody awesome and privileged to have played one of the greatest games ever.. in my humble opinion of course. :D

Dreamsphere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2015, 12:55 am

Planescape Torment. I loved the whole atmosphere and story to this game, i had always hoped for some type of HD remake to it over the years but it seems to have been pretty much forgotten.

MasterofYoshis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

Earthworm Jim: the first two games were GROOVY! The last two killed the franchise.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes: it tends to get overshadowed by its sequels...

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2: once again, overshadowed by its sequel. It was better than the first, and it also had the best soundtrack out of the three.

DIEHARDER163
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2015, 8:48 pm

Underrated games, huh? Here's a few that come to mind:

Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Xbox 360
Spiderman 2 - PS2
Hitman: Blood Money - PC
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel - Game Boy Colour
Bully - Xbox 360

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 10:24 pm

Halo 3, lost to CoD and Super Mario Galaxy for Game of the Year Award 2007. I see galaxy as also a very good game, but CoD seriously?