Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:59 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pri ... ar-BBd4WFQ

TheBlueEyedAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm

Oh my gosh....

I'm probably stepping on thin ice for some people on the topic but I'm just sharing on what goes through my mind when I read stuff like this.
Though this is the first time I've read about this particular case, I've read other horror stories about abuse towards autistic children, along with when I read through blogs when I'm scrolling through tumblr. I remember reading confessions by autistic individuals admitting that their parents have told them if they would have known they were on the spectrum while pregnant, they would have aborted them. I've also have read many comments made by frustrated family members (which is completely unterstandable.) about the tough times that they're having with their child. My point being, I've learned after countless reading on other peoples experiences when it comes to young people on the spectrum and there parents, it seems that the once unconditional love of a parent is actually very much conditioned and confined. :( Raising a child on the spectrum is a struggle that not many parents are willing to go through and thus we get these stories.

That being said, when I keep seeing stories like this one it makes me wonder if the-as worded- "cure and prevention" of ASD is necessary. As long as the individual has a choice in the matter that is. But, if in cases like this, it takes so that parents won't kill their own children; to have a safe medical prevention if possible. Ugly truth, maybe for some, the cure would protect them from their parents.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 6:08 am

The Oregonian Link

Quote:
?Due to the limited options in the public health system, we were only able to get her into an outpatient facility in The Dalles,? Andy McCabe told NBC. ?It was a limited time allowed. And since they refused to admit her officially to an inpatient facility, she was released to us."

Sounds like a failure of the mental health care system.

grbiker
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2014, 11:39 am

Androbot, you are right. A mentally ill parent having serious acute troubles taking care of a disabled child is no good.

This was a absolute failure of the mental health system. I don't really think we can call it a "system" when it comes to adults, it is just a random collection of mental health professionals not being able to what is necessary.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

OMG 8O

The poor child :(

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm

This makes me sad and mad there are so many people out there who wish they had children and others who wish to bring back their dead kids while this parent simply kills their child. This reminded me of a picture I once saw which is still depressing me until now; a little African boy struggling while a snake is devouring him while there are photographers who are taking pictures of that scene instead of saving the poor boy. I hate those types of people so much.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

Zajie wrote:
This reminded me of a picture I once saw which is still depressing me until now; a little African boy struggling while a snake is devouring him while there are photographers who are taking pictures of that scene instead of saving the poor boy. I hate those types of people so much.

8O
That's horrible!

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

I have ZERO tolerance for people who do this. I could care LESS how hard their struggle is.

PS my parents used to drive me to a children's home when I was around 7-8 to show me what it was like and would then tell me that "if I continued to misbehave, they would leave me there"?I have NEVER forgotten that and I never will. PS I was a good student, straight As, never in trouble in school, just different.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

JoelFan wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/principal-boy-thrown-from-bridge-happy-in-school/ar-BBd4WFQ

Disgusting... *shakes fists*

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 6:55 pm

This story makes me feel like I'm going to puke it up blue.