Does anyone else have hyposensitive smell/taste?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 2:47 pm

90% of the time, when other people start saying how they can smell something, I don't know what they are talking about. Everyday at my old job, people would get mad at this guy for taking off his boots because of the smell. For some reason he continued to do it, but not once while working there did I smell anything. I hate chemical smells, but other than that I don't often smell things like others do.

I also have always enjoyed strong flavors. Something that is pretty spicy to most people, I hardly notice it. I always put a ton of salt and spices on things or else they are too bland for me. My favorite kinds of candy are the really sour kinds.

I was wondering about this, because most of what I've seen on here is people being hypersensitive to these things. But maybe it's is more common than I think.

- Sherlock Holmes

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

The taking off the boots thing could be a running joke and there's really not much smell at all. They do that where I work too. You're lucky you can't smell things like that. I sometimes retch over the smell of feet and body odour. My sense of smell is very acute.

p.s. I deleted my previous post because I realised I'd done something stupid and it was easier to delete it than try and fix it (too early in the morning obviously)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

my taste sense is fine, but my smell sense is under active.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

I am hyposensitive to taste just like you (I love sour food too! And most food seems bland for me unless I add more spices.) but my sense of smell seem to work in the "NT way". My nose actually has a filter. When there is a sudden change in smell or something smells dangerously (as gas or chemicals) I will notice it right away and sniff to find where the smell comes from but when I am around a non dangerous smell for long enough time I don't feel it anymore, unless I get into a spot with different air circulating.
However some smells are really painful for me and I can't ignore them no matter how hard I try (such as perfume or the smell of a dog) and I have no problem standing other smells that for other people are impossible to stand (my filter works fine for example smell of poop - sure,it smells bad but I cant understand why people can't stand it and I stop feeling it after a min or so).
Could I be both hyper and hyposensitive, depending of the actual smell?

BTW. As a toddler I was definitely hyposensitive to smell. I loved playing in garbage and I even painted whole wall in a room using my own poop. LOL

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 5:57 pm

Taste is hyperactive and foods with strong flavor overwhelm me, but i can barely smell anything. Was told that is an odd combination as smell is supposed to affect the taste of foods.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

Raleigh wrote:
The taking off the boots thing could be a running joke and there's really not much smell at all. They do that where I work too. You're lucky you can't smell things like that. I sometimes retch over the smell of feet and body odour. My sense of smell is very acute.

Hm, I didn't even think of that, but now that you mention it, he was "that one guy" that for some reason everybody likes to tease. I've noticed there is almost always a person like that in a group of NTs. So that is a definite possibility.

And yes, I think I am pretty lucky. It seems like it depends on the smell sometimes, but usually I am not bothered by smells, as I don't notice them to begin with.

I cannot stand the smell or taste of fluoride or mouthwash though. That is my least favorite part at the dentist's office. I have to try not to gag, and then when I spit it out I still feel really grossed out, and I shudder a whole lot until the taste goes away.

- Sherlock Holmes

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm

Used to.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 12:00 am

Kiriae wrote:
Could I be both hyper and hyposensitive, depending of the actual smell?

That is what I wonder about myself too, as I am more sensitive to some smells more than a normal person would be, but often I am hyposenstive as well.

Kiriae wrote:
BTW. As a toddler I was definitely hyposensitive to smell. I loved playing in garbage and I even painted whole wall in a room using my own poop. LOL

I literally laughed out loud when I read this :lol:

- Sherlock Holmes