Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

dragonzatch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2014, 11:26 pm

Was wondering if there's any of you out there. I'm thirteen, which means I'm beyond the target demographic for pretty much every children's channel now. I'm expected to watch MTV, teen dramas, etc.

But I still love Gravity Falls and Cartoon Network and ashamedly, a few shows which skew even younger then that (Ruby Gloom just popped back up on Netflix and it's so good). I just can't get into a lot of the "teenage" stuff...like seriously? I see titles like Faking It and Jane the Virgin and I gag. I was into Catfish for a while though.

Anyone else more skewed towards kids shows then their expected targeted programming?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 2:34 am

i watched mickey mouse clubhouse until i was like, 10 or 11. most children's shows and teen dramas alike make me recoil and cower in disgust these days, and i don't like tv at all anyway.

i wouldn't really call gravity falls a children's show per se, seems more geared towards tweens to me.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Outrider15
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2014, 6:09 am

It's not bad. TV and movies are supposed to be an ESCAPE from reality.

You can watch whatever you want.

People who want a thrill and excitement watch action or horror or crime, etc.

People who want to be taken to magical lands where everything is good can also watch what they want.

I can see why you might like kids or young teen shows - I used to like them as well.

The thing is, they portray an ideal world. Many kids shows present the world in a much more humorous and positive way.

You know what I mean - things like sex, drugs, alcohol, crime, abused, torture, horror, etc. all avoided.

We live in a negative, bad world - sometimes we need positive tv that can really cheer us up.

Personally, I use to like kids tvs and movies but have since grown a bit for more mature stuff. I got bored with kids stuff.

I really like Sci-Fi and Comedy, but still can't handle darker stuff.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 2:45 am

^^very good points!

this is also why there is Disneyland. it is a wonderful escape for some, but me, i see it as: "For an entrance fee which can buy an impoverished nation rice for an entire fiscal year you get to walk through a crowdedpark packed with screaming children and overpriced foods, built above labyrinthe tunnels meant for simulating teleportation of unexpressive characters, the unchecked id who had his corpse reportedly frozen."

i have not been in 4 years, at LEAST.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

dragonzatch wrote:
Was wondering if there's any of you out there. I'm thirteen, which means I'm beyond the target demographic for pretty much every children's channel now. I'm expected to watch MTV, teen dramas, etc.

But I still love Gravity Falls and Cartoon Network and ashamedly, a few shows which skew even younger then that (Ruby Gloom just popped back up on Netflix and it's so good). I just can't get into a lot of the "teenage" stuff...like seriously? I see titles like Faking It and Jane the Virgin and I gag. I was into Catfish for a while though.

Anyone else more skewed towards kids shows then their expected targeted programming?

There is a lot of kid shows nowaday that are better and more mature that what is generally produced for teens, so there is nothing wrong with watching them.

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2014, 8:40 pm

I really like Ninja Turtles- the one on Nickelodeon- and Legend of Korra. Both are meant for people younger than me
(I'm 16), but I'm not sure they're kid shows exactly. I like Anime mostly for the drawing. I used to like Pokemon.

I like every version of Ninja turtles. I can recall watching the 2003 and 2007 versions, and I can recall watching earlier ones (1980's versions) through reruns. I also remember the 1990 movie. The 2012 version I think I like the best. The comics were okay. My sister and I fought about it all the time- when cartoons were on, I wanted Ninja Turtles or Pokemon and she wanted some Fairy Princess thing.

I also like 2 shows meant for teens. Merlin and Sherlock, both from BBC. I have an on/off liking for Dr. Who.

My friends think I would like Monk.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2014, 5:24 pm

Mario and Sonic are for kids and today there are many teenagers and adults that still have shirts about Kirby and Sonic and play video games like them. I followed the normal growing way. When I was 11 and 12, I watched Sonic and played YuGiOh as well as Pokemon. When Ib was 14, I started to watch Hannah Montana and listen to her music. At the same time, I also played Final Fantasy games. Ive watched Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, Sailor Moon, and other teen anime. I have heard news that Asperger people at that age are still with Legos and Curious George while everybosy else is moving. Ive also acted like a cool robust teenager at that time and still do today, I am 19 and will be 20 next month.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:32 pm

I was often found watching Nickelodeon, Disney channel and Cartoon Network as an early teen (11-13). In my mid teens (14-16) I was watching them with my little brothers. Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon were moving away from cartoons and Disney Channel was already mostly live action. Today I don't watch those channels anymore.
It was fun watching Spongebob (when it was good), Fairly OddParents (when it also was good), Danny Phantom, American Dragon: Jake Long, Camp Lazlo, Jimmy Neutron and many others in the mid 2000's. Those were the final years when Nick, CN, and Disney still had mostly good cartoons.

Hey ratchet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2014, 11:11 pm

This is exactly why we have things like "boomerang" and "90's on nick" so we don't have to stop watching the cartoons we've grown up with and loved for so many years! It's a shame that "90's on nick" comes on at midnight :|

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 12:47 am

AntDog wrote:
It was fun watching Spongebob (when it was good), Fairly OddParents (when it also was good), Danny Phantom, American Dragon: Jake Long, Camp Lazlo, Jimmy Neutron and many others in the mid 2000's. Those were the final years when Nick, CN, and Disney still had mostly good cartoons.

oh man oh man same here. especially CN, i remember ed, edd and eddy like it was yesterday, and KND too. how i hated those adults...and nowadays in their eyes i pretty much AM one! does anyone remember el tigre? used to watch that too.

i admit i liked mickey mouse clubhouse, back then too :lol:

i often wish they would just discontinue/cancel spongebob soon, so it doesn't stagnate further and end on a terrible note. in fact, that should have been done years ago. odd-parents too i think, but i never watched that as much, and i don't watch tv at all anymore. i guess that could be said for a lot of other shows as well.

but eh, people will look back to the 2010's someday in the future, and say the exact same thing...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 1:17 am

I watch cartoon network and disney sometimes, there are times when I watch dora lol
I mostly watch anime and people say anime is childish so maybe that counts too

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2014, 12:56 am

I'm almost 17 and I LOVE watching mlp, spongebob, adventure time (although I'm not sure if that counts because many older people watch that show), and a lot of other cartoons but most of them are pretty old (rugrats, rocket power, ren and stimpy, etc). the only shows I like that aren't cartoons are comedy sitcoms (that 70's show, big bang theory, modern family, etc)

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 2:37 pm

I watch several alot.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 6:37 pm

Amberlena wrote:
..and a lot of other cartoons but most of them are pretty old (rugrats, rocket power, ren and stimpy, etc). the only shows I like that aren't cartoons are comedy sitcoms (that 70's show, big bang theory, modern family, etc)

that 70's show was cool :)

i was never too keen on rocket power though, one character had a waist barely thicker than her neck, and still another had hair like crinkle-cut fries and that creeped me out.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Dec 2014, 7:37 am

I don't watch teen shows. Well I don't have a television but I love victorious and icarly for example. Basically, if you don't want some one you know to know you like those things they don't have to know. And if it's you're close friends then you probably have similar tastes or ways of seeing things so they should at least accept it.

Sarah xx

WolfClaw99
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 10:31 am

Nowadays, I watch Phineas & Ferb, Girl Meets World, and Clarence. But I also watch Boy Meets World, Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons, and stuff like that