If physical illness was treated like mental illness..

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 10:40 pm

If you Google: "Huffington Post if physical illness was treated like mental illness,"
you will find some brilliant cartoons as you scroll down the article.

As depression and anxiety is such a huge issue on the spectrum, I hope this brightens everyone's day, whether you are under the weather or not.

For those who are surrounded by/living with people who refuse to understand, or can't, you might want to print the article and cartoons out and leave them lying around...

Pictures really can say more than a thousand words.

Sorry, my system could not copy and paste the link itself directly to WP.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

Here's a link to the article mentioned.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm

I've gotten "why don't you just be happy" before. :roll:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

You might be interested in this:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... re/5864512

The podcast features an interview with Susannah Cahalan, a journalist who has chronicled her experience of mental illness as a result of the very rare condition named anti-NMDA receptor auto immune encephalitis.

A part of the interview that stood out for me was:

Quote:
If you go through the DSM, which is how you diagnose psychiatric conditions, I had all the different categories of having schizoaffective disorder. The only difference between me and someone who has schizoaffective disorder was I was cured, that's the only difference. And so I really started thinking about mental illness as a very biological disease.

Of course there are tonnes of studies out there, we don't understand fully mental illness and psychiatric conditions and how they overlap with neurological ones, and of course there's grey area and of course environment and culture and all these things do play a role. But I started really thinking about the fact that there really is no difference between me and someone who has a psychiatric condition except for the fact that I was cured. And that changes for me?I mean, it expands my mind in the way we think about how we treat and how we stigmatise and how we look at psychiatric conditions. They don't necessarily get the same disease qualification as, say, if you get cancer.

For whatever reason in our society we attribute some kind of blame on the person who suffers from a mental illness as opposed to someone who has a neurological one or an 'organic' one. It's very misguided and it's untrue.

The "All in the Mind" website hosts a transcript of the interview here: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... transcript

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm

Thank you very much for posting that extraordinary article. I would like to make it compulsory reading for all "mental health professionals" and before they were allowed to practice, they would have to demonstrate that they could recite it word for word from memory.

What is so very disturbing in it is that her "physical" medical history was not taken until after she was "treated" for a mental illness she did not have and had never had.

This case really encapsulates the tunnel vision of psychiatry, they have their mental illness hammers, so everyone that comes into their orbit looks like a nail. You could sum it up in this sentence: "If you are sent to where they work, that alone means you must be mentally ill".

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2014, 11:28 pm

At the risk of offending somebody, I personally do not see how they are comparable.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 11:33 pm

No offence taken. They are both forms of unwellness. I take a different view from you in that I firmly believe: what affects the body affects the mind, and what affects the mind affects the body. For me, the division into "mental" or "physical" is spurious.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 11:38 pm

calstar2 wrote:
At the risk of offending somebody, I personally do not see how they are comparable.

A problem with mental illnesses is that many are idiopathic, a fancy way of saying the cause cannot be determined.
Despite this people often regard the symptoms as somehow the result of the will of the mentally ill or disabled person.

In some cases. the cause of the illness is very clearly some physical problem, just as much not the disabled person's "fault" as a physical injury with a purely physical cause, and yet the mental disorder or disability is stigmatized.

This is the point of comparison.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 11:50 pm

Did anyone see the film "The Madness of King George" about George the third of England? His "mental illness" was a physical condition called Porphyria, which affects different parts of the body and may manifest as unusual and atypical behaviour. It seems to me that people sometimes tend to minimise the fact that the brain is part of the body, and they discuss "mental illness" as if it was something completely separate from physical illness. Both lay people and medical people do this.

There are many illnesses that have physical and mental effects simultaneously. (Possibly all).

Treating porphyria with pyschiatric drugs makes it worse. There have been cases where patients have been treated for many years as "schizophrenic" because the psychiatric doctors completely ignored the protocol of differential diagnoses and failed to bother with adequate history taking.

It's pretty appalling really.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:21 am

Those cartoons are awesome.

There are lots of biological causes of mental illness that most people probably don't think about, like vitamin deficiency, heavy metal poisoning, or parasitic infection. I wonder how many people never get diagnosed properly because it is looked at as a "mental" problem rather than physical.

House MD had some great episodes about misdiagnosed mental illness. two in particular made a big impression on me. One where a woman had been diagnosed schizophrenic, but it turned out she actually had Wilson's disease (caused by too much copper in the body) and a vitamin K deficiency.

The other was the one where a woman had passed out in the bathtub with her baby, and the baby almost drowned. Then in the hospital, before they figured out what was wrong with her, she started hearing voices and smothered her baby. It turned out she had Celiac disease and a severe nutritional deficiency.

Personally, if I were a doctor or a psychiatrist, I would make sure someone got a full physical work up to check for things like that, before I wrote a script for any kind of psych drugs. I bet some people go their entire lives taking medication for the wrong thing when there is really something else making them sick.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:32 am

calstar2 wrote:

Mental illness is physical illness. The brain is a biological physical organ. The chemicals and whatnot interacting is what determines our experience. And these can be managed with medications if necessary.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:37 am

http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/coping/misdiagnosis.html

Dianthus, I think you will find the above article elaborates on what you had to say (with which I agree).

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2014, 12:45 am

androbot01 wrote:
Mental illness is physical illness. The brain is a biological physical organ. The chemicals and whatnot interacting is what determines our experience. And these can be managed with medications if necessary.

However... mental illness isn't usually seen on the outside as something broken... except obviously how the person acts. I mean, someone with sever autism or down syndrome will be very obvious (disregard the fact that people with down syndrome are shorter and stuff). Someone with depression will be seen as... well... someone with depression. Since it's literally all in their head... and people are used to being able to control their heads, they don't really see mental illness as a conventional injury or 'physical' problem (and it's not). I guess my bottom line is that no one thinks that people are in control of their bleeding, bone healing, cancer, etc. People are used to controlling their thoughts and actions and so they assume that everyone else can too 100%.

BlueOrchid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2014, 1:12 am

Good one :idea: :) Not that these are EXACTLY the same, but still both mental and physical illnesses are to some extent out of the "sufferer's" control

Here's another, not the same type (comparing one to another), but sort of the same topic:

"Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible" | Frank Zappa

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 1:18 am

Like!

You might like the blog "Hyperbole and a Half" if you don't already know it. Looking at what you shared brought it instantly to mind for me.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 2:58 am

I think there's a real short shrift given to mental illnesses - even when they're obviously biological in nature. For example, in the UK if you have cancer and are incapacitated by it you will get some follow up help at home through the NHS, but if you have dementia you probably won't.

On the other hand, some of the stuff about depression "Lying in bed obviously hasn't helped you..." may make sense - sometimes you need to short circuit the chemical depression by introducing new chemicals by getting up and moving around and smiling and exercising and yes, even thinking happy thoughts. As someone who has had lifelong issues with depression this is one of the ways I now manage my depression (though it's not entirely effective on its own, but the other treatments don't work without this). For physical ailments, too, sometimes getting up and working to get better is also helpful! (not always!).