Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm

To autistic homosexuals:

1. Do you feel that your presentation of autism more accurately matches that typically observed in the opposite sex?

- If yes, how do you feel you differ (if at all) from autistic heterosexuals of your given sex, strictly in terms of your autism?
- If no, do you perceive your homosexuality to alter the presentation of your autism in any specific way?

To autistic heterosexuals/alternative:

1. What are your opinions concerning the role of sexual identity in a person's autistic presentation?

----------------------------------------------

That is all.

EDIT - The assumption is that there is a general difference between how female and male autism is presented. It is frequently mentioned (and agreed upon) that autistic females are generally more able to adapt to social situations in which males will be more rigid. It also seems to be a common occurrence that female special interests are less restricted/narrow than their male counterparts. Based on various anecdotes, 'crying meltdowns' are more prevalent amongst autistic females.

Studies have revealed homosexual brains to be structured similarly to heterosexual brains of the opposite sex, hence the questions.

Last edited by Norny on 18 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm

I don't know how autism is expressed in the different sexes, but gays do have a concept of gender, when saying they are more femme, butch, or neutral. So, hopefully, my 'call-it-what-it-is' approach will not seem overly offensive.

In traditional terms, sensitive men might appear more passive. Aloof or stern women may seem more masculine.

I have also noticed that Aspies have some sexual quirks, not strictly limited to gender, or species, or living things. I believe there's a mix of utilitarianism and emotional distance, in that equation, but haven't come up with a sound line of logic, to explain it, yet.

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm

I would say I am mainly straight, but I think I would be open to same sex experiences but I would find a smaller proportion of men attractive than women, but I have always feigned asexuality so I can pass off my lack of experience as a choice. When it comes to gender, when I was very young I wouldn't say I was effeminate but I was not very boyish, I liked butterflies, soft animal toys, I would ask for the female action figures because even back then I knew boys were not supposed to like dolls but I wanted one, think I felt like I wanted to be a girl because boys liked things big, loud, exciting where as girls preferred cute, quiet and calm (massive gender stereotype there but that is how I perceived it), would have liked girls clothes etc. As a teenager I did wonder if I was gay for awhile, I really worried about it which seems weird as I had always been attracted to women don't really know what that was about. I seem to relate a lot to books, music and films etc created by gay people, and gay rights is a massive issue for me (the very idea that some people would try and prevent others happiness based on their own preferences and beliefs is completely intolerable to be), I guess maybe it is relating to feeling different. sorry for mixing sexuality/gender in this post.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

I'm wondering if one's "autistic presentation" might depend upon what "gender" a person identifies with, rather than homo/heterosexuality per se.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 6:07 pm

In other words, do more autistic people tend be biologically male or female? Masculine or feminine?

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 6:24 pm

Norny wrote:
To autistic homosexuals:

1. Do you feel that your presentation of autism more accurately matches that typically observed in the opposite sex?

- If yes, how do you feel you differ (if at all) from autistic heterosexuals of your given sex, strictly in terms of your autism?
- If no, do you perceive your homosexuality to alter the presentation of your autism in any specific way?

1. What are your opinions concerning the role of sexual identity in a person's autistic presentation?

----------------------------------------------

That is all.

I have some questions that yours automatically made me want to know.

1 Do you feel that your presentation of autism more accurately matches that typically observed in the opposite sex?

How are you defining the difference in autism between males and females? maybe women spin counterclockwise as opposed the men spinning clockwise? :scratch:

-If yes, how do you feel you differ (if at all) from autistic heterosexuals of your given sex, strictly in terms of your autism?

So how would you take that into account, when personalities differ from person to person, autism differs from person to person (hence the spectrum), and life experiences are different? Just trying to understand the qualifications.

-If no, do you perceive your homosexuality to alter the presentation of your autism in any specific way?

Do you have a working theory that there are distinct differences between a homosexual's presentation of autism compared to a heterosexual presentation of autism that clearly can be linked to strictly sexual orientation influence?

What are your opinions concerning the role of sexual identity in a person's autistic presentation?

Wouldn't it have been better to leave opinion out of scientific inquest? That's what this is isn't it? Then again, with no clear definitions as to what makes a heterosexual female autistic different than a heterosexual male autistic in autism traits; the overly bias nature of the questions geared to putting one group of people on the spot; and illiciting the opinions of the opposite group of something they have no first hand knowledge about, makes me wonder...What is the actual intent in your questions?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm

I'm on the Autistic Spectrum. I am male. I identify as male. I like women.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 6:38 pm

To autistic homosexuals:

I'm not really autistic, but I'll answer anyways. I don't think I'm like any autistic males or even females. I do have some "female aspie" traits, but I'm skeptical of the concept of autism looking that different in girls.

I do have some weird interests. Apparently that's more common in males. Apparently female aspies usually have more normal special interests.
No

Like I said before I'm very skeptical. I don't really think female aspies are that different than males aspies. I think people are just using that as an excuse to label more people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:30 pm

In order for there to be an impetus to study something scientifically, an "opinion," or "hypothesis" must be present. An hypothesis is merely a more formalized "opinion."

I don't believe autistics are "extreme males," based upon the "extreme male brain" theory. I don't believe people with autism have more of a tendency to be confused about the sexuality than the general population.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In order for there to be an impetus to study something scientifically, an "opinion," or "hypothesis" must be present. An hypothesis is merely a more formalized "opinion."

I don't believe autistics are "extreme males," based upon the "extreme male brain" theory. I don't believe people with autism have more of a tendency to be confused about the sexuality than the general population.

I think autistic people are more likely to be honest about their sexual preferences. I think that's why a higher percent of autistics report being gay or bisexual.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

That's possible.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I can't answer the questions, because I think I'm too thick to really get them, but the last sentence of this paragraph leapt out at me.

I'm female and consider myself mainly heterosexual. But I have definitely struggled with gender dysphoria in the past and spent the first few years of my internet life passing myself as a guy (I don't do it anymore, anywhere, and won't ever again). I stongly wanted to be a male. But I'm not interested in sexual reassignment surgery or trying to pass myself off as a man in real life - besides, I'm so short I would look like a midget male. I have largely come to terms with being a female, but if reincarnation existed and I could choose what sex to come back as, it would definitely be a male.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 8:13 pm

Of course, people with autism suffer from gender dysphoria.

I'm just not sure if it's more prevalent among autistic people than it is around "normal" people.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

I'm so dumb.

I somehow didn't see the "don't" in the sentence of yours that I referenced. Soz for the misunderstanding :-/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 8:25 pm

That's all right.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Actually hypothesis is not an opinion. An opinion is based in subjectivity, example "Iyogurt is gross." Where as a hypothesis requires objectivity, example "If genes play a role in autism, then genes that express sexuality may affect the expression of the autistic genes creating distinct characteristics seen only in those that fit sexual subgroups."

One can be tested and defined, the other can not.

None of the questions above define or test anything. They gather opinions. Which is as devilkisses put it trying to label.