Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In order for there to be an impetus to study something scientifically, an "opinion," or "hypothesis" must be present. An hypothesis is merely a more formalized "opinion."

I don't believe autistics are "extreme males," based upon the "extreme male brain" theory. I don't believe people with autism have more of a tendency to be confused about the sexuality than the general population.

Actually hypothesis is not an opinion. An opinion is based in subjectivity, example "Iyogurt is gross." Where as a hypothesis requires objectivity, example "If genes play a role in autism, then genes that express sexuality may affect the expression of the autistic genes creating distinct characteristics seen only in those that fit sexual subgroups."

One can be tested and defined, the other can not.

None of the questions above define or test anything. They gather opinions. Which is as devilkisses put it trying to label.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 8:37 pm

As well there are numerous studies on the subject of sexuality and autism, I don't see how opinions about it (especially ones that seek to create a your weirder than me opinion feed) is helpful or productive.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start ... s_sdt=0,11

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 8:40 pm

An hypothesis is a formalized opinion, as far as I'm concerned.

What's the use of opinions? Plenty.

People have to dwell in both the formal and informal in order to get a true impression of life.

If one relies solely upon "logic," an erroneous view of the world will be obtained--not all "truth" is derived from logical progression.

We have to have research studies. We have to have anecdote. We can't just have one or the other.

In economics, Macrocosmic results frequently do not reflect Microcosmic realities.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 8:58 pm

I am Christian, but I prefer to respect other people's decisions. I have a few friends who are homosexual.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I am Christian, but I prefer to respect other people's decisions. I have a few friends who are homosexual.

It's not a decision, sexual orientation is not a choice,

On topic, gender dysphoria seems common in those with autism (at least from my experience in the past)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm

I've known MANY NT's with gender confusion.

You noticed (especially in Love and Dating), that there are many heterosexual Aspie/autistics here.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 9:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
An hypothesis is a formalized opinion, as far as I'm concerned.

What's the use of opinions? Plenty.

People have to dwell in both the formal and informal in order to get a true impression of life.

If one relies solely upon "logic," an erroneous view of the world will be obtained--not all "truth" is derived from logical progression.

We have to have research studies. We have to have anecdote. We can't just have one or the other.

In economics, Macrocosmic results do not reflect Microcosmic realities.

You're certainly entitled to think that way if that's where you are at. Have a good day/night! :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:37 pm

At least you're amiable.

But why don't you believe in the value of anecdote?

I guess it's because it leaves room for doubt--whereas research studies lessen the doubt somewhat (though it doesn't completely eliminate it).

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 18 Nov 2014, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

kicker wrote:

I have some questions that yours automatically made me want to know.

Norny wrote:
1. Do you feel that your presentation of autism more accurately matches that typically observed in the opposite sex?

How are you defining the difference in autism between males and females? maybe women spin counterclockwise as opposed the men spinning clockwise? :scratch:

That depends on the person, how they view the differences in presentation. There seems to be a general idea that females are better able to hide their autism, and more readily adapt to social situations.

I do understand that this is erroneous on my behalf. I would suggest that if a person does not see a difference that they should specify themselves, but I know that I probably would have responded the same way had I not a preconceived idea of a difference. Next time I will be precise.

kicker wrote:
Norny wrote:
- If yes, how do you feel you differ (if at all) from autistic heterosexuals of your given sex, strictly in terms of your autism?

So how would you take that into account, when personalities differ from person to person, autism differs from person to person (hence the spectrum), and life experiences are different? Just trying to understand the qualifications.

This is true, I was again relying on a shared perception of the general difference between the presentation of male and female autism.

kicker wrote:
Norny wrote:
- If no, do you perceive your homosexuality to alter the presentation of your autism in any specific way?

Do you have a working theory that there are distinct differences between a homosexual's presentation of autism compared to a heterosexual presentation of autism that clearly can be linked to strictly sexual orientation influence?

Nope, but on the basis of a general difference between male and female presentation, I assumed the possibility that homosexuals (having a brain that more closely resembles the opposite gender) may deviate from the norm of their given sex and present as the other.

kicker wrote:
Norny wrote:
To autistic heterosexuals/alternative:

1. What are your opinions concerning the role of sexual identity in a person's autistic presentation?

Wouldn't it have been better to leave opinion out of scientific inquest? That's what this is isn't it? Then again, with no clear definitions as to what makes a heterosexual female autistic different than a heterosexual male autistic in autism traits; the overly bias nature of the questions geared to putting one group of people on the spot; and illiciting the opinions of the opposite group of something they have no first hand knowledge about, makes me wonder...What is the actual intent in your questions?

This isn't so much a scientific inquest as it is to gather the experience/observations of autistic individuals. I am in no position to undertake a scientific study, which would be the only accurate means of obtaining a reasonable conclusion.

There was no intent other than to gather all posters' thoughts on the subject.

kicker wrote:
As well there are numerous studies on the subject of sexuality and autism, I don't see how opinions about it (especially ones that seek to create a your weirder than me opinion feed) is helpful or productive.

I have read many studies and there are some that describe differences between male/female presentation, but none directly explore the role of sexuality, where it has been determined in various studies that homosexual brains tend to be structured more similarly to heterosexual brains of the opposite sex.

I'm not sure what you mean by the sentence in brackets, nor this sentence as a whole. I apologize if I have offended/bothered you, but I can't entail any specific type of thread being arbitrarily more productive, or helpful than this one. It's as if you're suggesting that I should not post questions when relevant studies may exist, which to me doesn't achieve anything in itself.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

something_ wrote:
I would say I am mainly straight, but I think I would be open to same sex experiences but I would find a smaller proportion of men attractive than women, but I have always feigned asexuality so I can pass off my lack of experience as a choice. When it comes to gender, when I was very young I wouldn't say I was effeminate but I was not very boyish, I liked butterflies, soft animal toys, I would ask for the female action figures because even back then I knew boys were not supposed to like dolls but I wanted one, think I felt like I wanted to be a girl because boys liked things big, loud, exciting where as girls preferred cute, quiet and calm (massive gender stereotype there but that is how I perceived it), would have liked girls clothes etc. As a teenager I did wonder if I was gay for awhile, I really worried about it which seems weird as I had always been attracted to women don't really know what that was about. I seem to relate a lot to books, music and films etc created by gay people, and gay rights is a massive issue for me (the very idea that some people would try and prevent others happiness based on their own preferences and beliefs is completely intolerable to be), I guess maybe it is relating to feeling different. sorry for mixing sexuality/gender in this post.

I'm glad to know that you're against homosexual discrimination.

No need to be sorry for the post. 8)

friedmacguffins wrote:
In other words, do more autistic people tend be biologically male or female? Masculine or feminine?

There is a commonly referred to general difference between female and male presentations of autism, which is all I was really exploring.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm wondering if one's "autistic presentation" might depend upon what "gender" a person identifies with, rather than homo/heterosexuality per se.

I would just classify that as a person's unique self, rather than autistic presentation. The brain similarities between straight women and homosexual men, and straight men and homosexual women have made me wonder if presentation, as a result of neurology, would change. I suspect that it would.

I can relate this to the (disagreeable) idea of the low/high functioning labels. 'Low functioning' only serves to describe an IQ lower than 70, and high functioning is the opposite. The IQ would be determined not by personal identification, but by brain structure.

DevilKisses wrote:
1. What are your opinions concerning the role of sexual identity in a person's autistic presentation?
Like I said before I'm very skeptical. I don't really think female aspies are that different than males aspies. I think people are just using that as an excuse to label more people.

I have had my doubts here before too, and still do. I can't really decide whether or not to accept a different presentation. That's not why I made this thread (as most people agree that the presentation is different), but it has recently crossed my mind. I read a post recently where somebody described the difference between ASD and BAP as being fluid, but I'm not too sure what to think of that as of yet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

What I meant, in this sense, is the hypothesis that somebody who "identifies" as a female (despite being born male), and is autistic, might exhibit characteristics which seem to be found within female autistics.

Conversely, a person born female, yet identifies as male, might exhibit the characteristics of a male autistic person.

Of course, this idea was arrived at on a impulse--without any direct stimulus (other than the thread's title) which was related to the idea--out of "left field" (an American baseball term)

But, then again, much progress has been achieved through ideas taken out of "left field"

I am not an adherent to this notion at all; I just thought of it a half an hour ago. I just "put it out there," basically.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 10:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
At least you're amiable.

But why don't you believe in the value of anecdote?

There was no reason not to be.

It's not that I don't believe that anecdotal information can't be beneficial, it just shouldn't be relied upon for truth.

People whether willingly or unknowingly are subjective. You can have 20 people witness an accident and have 20 different recalls of the events. Worse yet people who are asked about themselves give a skewed version. Someone may think they are more masculine then they are to others or more feminine. yet they will tell you what they think even if it isn't so.

So collecting any sort of data or idea from that is useless as it will only skew you further from the truth.

An example I'm sure you've been called heartless, I know I have. Were they accurate in their opinion of you/me? No, yet they saw it, they formed an opinion about it. If someone came along and asked them to give an anecdote about you or me don't you think the person asking will then be biased into thinking you/I am heartless? If they relied on the anecdotal evidence then they would believe you/I am heartless.

Where as my way, without relying on anecdotal evidence I wouldn't just stop at asking someone about you, I would want to go up and say hi.

Does that make sense?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:25 pm

It makes sense. I agree with the above post.

Obviously, though, even when consummate methodology (double-blind, peer-reviewed, etc.) is employed, bias sometimes also rears its ugly head.

Frequently, when "counterintuitive" results are obtained, I question the findings--though, just as frequently, I adhere to the findings despite the fact that they are counterintuitive.

I believe in the Scientific Method. I don't believe in sole reliance on it, though, in my everyday life.

If I took a course in neuropathology, however, I'd have to rely on the Scientific Method and previous findings (like precedence in law)--otherwise, I would lack credibility.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm

@normy

I wasn't offened so no need to be sorry. :D

I wasn't saying you shouldn't post, I was saying I don't see the value in collecting opinions on something so broad. As well I think there will be people who have strong opinions of homosexuality on both sides of it that may alienate some people or even cause tempers to flair. I'm a pessimist by nature. I also tend to be a pacifist, I'd rather everyone get along.

I am going to venture a guess and say that you do, which is ok, if it helps you, great! :D