Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 11:22 am

Dillogic wrote:
Australia

Most of the government functions/processes I go through are now online. It's much easier.

Now, if it's just as easy to get onto them with the phone, as the burden is split between online and land line (so the traffic isn't as bad for the latter, so they can save some money by laying off certain positions), then there's no "attack" going on.

I was able to apply for my current Social Security Disability Income online as well (in the USA). Didn't have to walk into the office once to get approved. Had to fill out a bunch of forms mailed to me, though.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
The hospital jacks their prices way up to get the most money they can from the government when they treat people without insurance. This has a HUGE distorting effect on prices--causing prices to rise everywhere.

This is why we need universal insurance and government regulation of prices...

Market forces just won't work here.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote: "If the government were to decree when we should sow and when we should reap, we would soon all want for bread"

How many of our policy makers have any training in science and modern medicine. Not many, I would bet.

ruveyn

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
The hospital jacks their prices way up to get the most money they can from the government when they treat people without insurance. This has a HUGE distorting effect on prices--causing prices to rise everywhere.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote: "If the government were to decree when we should sow and when we should reap, we would soon all want for bread"

How many of our policy makers have any training in science and modern medicine. Not many, I would bet.

ruveyn

Well, that sort of system works pretty well in Japan. If they can do it, so can we.

Adequate training is simply a matter of adequate training. Stupidity and ignorance persist only if we allow it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Australia

Most of the government functions/processes I go through are now online. It's much easier.

Now, if it's just as easy to get onto them with the phone, as the burden is split between online and land line (so the traffic isn't as bad for the latter, so they can save some money by laying off certain positions), then there's no "attack" going on.

I suspect down under is more humane in this respect than what is proposed for USA.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

ruveyn

I believe the next probable Secretary of Defense is a trained physicist.