looking for cool stocking-stuffer fidgets/toys

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:52 pm

I think I may have learned about Office Playground here... in any event, I've been getting stocking stuffers from them for a few years, and this year my son specifically mentioned how much he likes that part of Christmas. The trouble is, they don't have anything new and I've already bought pretty much everything I think he'd like.

Anyone know another good source for fidgets and small toys? I plan to order something from stimtastic, which seems very cool (Aspie owned and operated: http://www.stimtastic.co), but they don't have a large selection.

He likes stuff with moving parts (tangles, klixx), smooth more than rough, slinkies, those toy balls that are a little like balloons you can squeeze

zette
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

The game Zombie Dice is super fun and would fit in a stocking. Both my 9 yo and 5 yo kids love it.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

Ooo, that has potential. He was a Plants vs. Zombies zombie for Halloween. :skull:

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

This company always has a million things that I want to buy :lol: : http://www.specialneedstoys.com/can/
Many things that would fit in a stocking.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 7:50 pm

I was looking at websites and remembered you saying your child likes slinkies and smoothe things. I found these that are smooth, plastic springs called Spridgets at http://www.autismshop.com/games-playthi ... idget.html
I can imagine that pulling one of these through my fingers to feel the bumps would be nice for me. But I don't know what your son does with Slinkies; I imagine the motion and the sound is what he is after with a metal Slinky. These Spridgets may not be something he'd get anything out of.

Something I have is a cat toy from Walmart. A friend of mine had one when i was staying at her place while visiting out of town so I discovered it quite by accident. It is a stick with brown feathers and an elastic cord of brown and beige twisted around each other. On the end of the cord is a squeaky mouse which sounds more like an overly happy bird. I came home from church there seriously overstimulated and overwhelmed and picked it up. It was awesome. I hold the stick part in my right hand and shake it, and the mouse held still in the left hand. The spiraled cord makes stripes in the air while the mouse squeaks. Gets visual, sound, and motion, while rocking foot to foot or pacing in circles. A cat toy! Should have known. So I found one and bought it the other day. I do share it with my cats; I hope they are grateful. My kids like to use it with the cats too.

Another thing is those silicone (I don't think they are latex; they don't feel, taste, or smell like latex) pencil grips you can find pretty much anywhere office supplies are sold. They make quiet, soft, sticking sounds when you unpinch them or pull and unpinch them. They bounce nicely. Mine are transparent, different colors with glitter in them with different textures on the outside which make for tactile and visual comfort. They are nice to chew on sometimes. Only thing is, they are not attached to any cords and wouldn't be strong enough to stay attached to a cord so you have to be careful of chewing them and not forget what you are doing: choking hazard there I would say. You could also string them onto a cord and chew them that way or swing them like a jump rope. I swipe them together for the sound and vibration too.

Edited for typos.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

The Spridgets look interesting, though I think I'll try to find them from another source, since that store seems to support vaccination fear-mongering. :(

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 10:01 pm

I just ordered a bunch of stocking stuffer fidgets from: https://www.therapyshoppe.com/

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 2:23 am

Fitzi wrote:
I just ordered a bunch of stocking stuffer fidgets from: https://www.therapyshoppe.com/

I'm liking that zipper jewelry!

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 1:50 pm

willaful wrote:

I'm liking that zipper jewelry!

I love that too! I got my kid the springy chew bracelet, and one of the chew tube necklace things, to see if it may stop him from blurting out in class. I also got him that large, rubber band thing you attach to chair legs to help him focus and stay in his seat. So simple, yet so genius. Plus, a got a bunch of pocket sized fidgets. I really wanted to get so much more, though.

RocketMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Dec 2014, 10:00 pm

Thanks for mentioning Office Playground - I hadn't run across that site yet! They have a lot of the visual "toys" I was looking for, like the sand sculptures and oil/water waves.

My guy is a preschooler, so the stuff I am putting in his stocking is probably not what you are after. I am adding some Chewlery , stress balls (but the ones used for therapy, not the foam ones, since he bites them), theraputty, and some magnetic Tegu blocks - http://amzn.com/B004WMCZGY

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:46 pm

Well, I'm not sure if my son is that into the zipper bracelets, but I am loving them. Best stim toy ever! He's been more into this super stretchy rope thing I found at Amazon

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

I LOVE Stimtastic.com! :) The owner and operator is Cynthia Kim of the MusingsOfAnAspie blog.

As for stim and fidget toys, I like Tangles, Klixx (or "Wacky Tracks") as they're sometimes called, and I also have a few stones I like to hold and manipulate.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 2:36 pm

I ordered one of the spinning rings for myself, am really looking forward to it.

zzzsmokeyzzz

20 Apr 2017, 4:35 pm

This site has great fidget and sensory toys https://happyhands.toys/