Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm

So, a position has opened up in the library where I worked before. From 2008-2010, full time. This was just prior to my mid-life autistic breakdown which resulted in my current status as a disability pension recipient.
I have mixed feelings. I am feeling a lot better now, with new medications that I am taking. But other jobs which I have attempted in the past three years have ended in failure. Cashier, dog walker, doughnut shop clerk. The thing is I know I can do this job at the library, but I am scared that I will freak out, going from 0 - 35 hrs so quickly.
Now of course I may not get the job. It is an external posting, and although it is a contract position, it pays well. So there will be competition. I think I am at least qualified enough to get an interview and possibly be successful. The possibility of this major life change is stuck in my mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:12 pm

I really, truly wish you luck on this!

The job is suited to you.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:14 pm

I think I could do it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:52 pm

:D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 2:48 am

Take it. If you like the job the hours will go by fast and smoothly. If not you are under no obligation to keep it. It is 100% guarantee it will be a failure if you don't take it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 11:11 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Take it. If you like the job the hours will go by fast and smoothly. If not you are under no obligation to keep it. It is 100% guarantee it will be a failure if you don't take it.

:D I agree!

Best of luck. I'd love to work in a library... it'd have to be better than the insane level of noise in this stoopid cube farm. :razz:

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

There is no harm in trying, and you can always quit if you sense a freakout is imminent.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 5:47 pm

Thanks all for the encouragement!

If the situation occurs I will take your advice.

However I have yet to hear from them and fear I have misjudged the situation. Maybe they have the same misgivings about me as I do myself. I was not exactly captain stability when I was there before.

However I've been invited to submit a story to a children's publisher, so that could lead to something. If that worked out it would be better because I could work from home.