Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2014, 6:40 am

I have always loved that series of novels. I am beginning to wonder, though, if it was a reflection of JRR Tolkien's medievalist worldview? Still, he did create much of the whole trend towards Fantasy Fiction that has gone, unabated, to this very day.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 6:56 am

I love Lord of The Rings, I did read all the books and have seen all the movies. I think a lot of it does kind of reflect J.R.R Tolkien s views on things. However I think a lot of it can be somewhat applicable to life, it is a very good series for sure. I mean there are things about it that lack the entire picture of how real life would work, but a lot of value in it to it does address things like friendship, not abandoning friends, conflicts between people and various things that do relate to real life, part of why I like it.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2014, 7:00 am

I have, since I was very young, desired to write an entire series of either Fantasy or Science Fiction. That would really be very neat to be able to do.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:05 am

TwinRuler wrote:
I have always loved that series of novels. I am beginning to wonder, though, if it was a reflection of JRR Tolkien's medievalist worldview? Still, he did create much of the whole trend towards Fantasy Fiction that has gone, unabated, to this very day.

Actually, Tolkien based a lot of his writings on Middle Earth on known mythology, including Norse, Celtic, Slavic, Persian and Greek mythology.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:15 pm

You might also like The "Sword of Shannara" series ... as it is very similar to the ring series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Shannara

Supposedly the second book in the series, "The elfstones of Shannara" is going to be made for TV" following the successful "Game of Thrones".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm

Jono wrote:
TwinRuler wrote:

Actually, Tolkien based a lot of his writings on Middle Earth on known mythology, including Norse, Celtic, Slavic, Persian and Greek mythology.

That to, my brother got a copy of one of his books that is written in Norwegian...I cannot remember which one it is, but it was an old copy we found.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm

I remember back when those books were considered to be a total nerd-stereotype. And then the movies started coming out in the early 2000s, and everybody pretended like the stereotype never happened more or less. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 12:11 am

Venger wrote:
I remember back when those books were considered to be a total nerd-stereotype. And then the movies started coming out in the early 2000s, and everybody pretended like the stereotype never happened more or less. :roll:

I read the books when I was around 10 I think, and also read them again when they released the new movies since movie changes some details and leaves some out and didn't want to be missing any important plot points. I also had seen the older animated versions of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings series with my siblings before the live action movies came out. Guess me and my siblings liked it before it was cool... 8) god I should have never heard that meme. lol

But yeah most of the time I doubt people at school even saw me as cool enough to be considered a nerd I was even too lame for that it seems.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 2:33 am

Moved from Politics, Philosophy, and Religion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 2:50 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

I remember reading that trilogy, it was certainly pretty good...if one likes Lord of The Rings they would certainly be likely to enjoy that. Might have to pick it up again though as my memory on what all went on is a little fuzzy as I read it a long time ago.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 1:52 am

I've never read the books, but I've seen the Appendices documentaries related to the films...and it amazed me how much detail Tolkien put into his work. I'd go nuts even trying to map that all out, let alone create it all from scratch. I love the movies, and am eager to see how "The Hobbit" finally ends next month.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 1:56 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I've never read the books, but I've seen the Appendices documentaries related to the films...and it amazed me how much detail Tolkien put into his work. I'd go nuts even trying to map that all out, let alone create it all from scratch. I love the movies, and am eager to see how "The Hobbit" finally ends next month.

Well you could always go get the animated version and find out early :twisted:

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 2:15 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nah, I'm good. There's not even three weeks left until "Battle of the Five Armies" opens, and I don't like being spoiled very much.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 2:20 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Nah, I'm good. There's not even three weeks left until "Battle of the Five Armies" opens, and I don't like being spoiled very much.

hell yeah, than wait for it, it should be enjoyable.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 4:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jono wrote:
TwinRuler wrote:

That to, my brother got a copy of one of his books that is written in Norwegian...I cannot remember which one it is, but it was an old copy we found.

Tolkien himself didn't always like the translations. He was a linguistic expert and the names of places and such were taken from his constructed languages (usually based on ancient Dermanic languages or Old English.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 5:16 pm

TwinRuler wrote:

I would guess yes, but what exactly do you mean by Tolkein's medievalist worldview?
I think, if I were to make a bit of a generalization, self-styled traditionalists might be more drawn towards fantasy writing, whereas self-styled progressives might be drawn more towards science fiction writing.