Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

alphabeticalninja
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

Lately, I've been worried about taking a foreign language class for my school. My reasoning behind this being that ever since I was younger, there have been times when people speak to me and I can't quite understand them due to too much sensory stuff going on, me being in the middle of something while they're talking etc.
One thing I'm worried about is if it occurs during my Spanish class where we can't request that something be repeated. Since I've yet to find ways to deal with it in places where I can ask people to repeat what they've said, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to deal with it in my foreign language class.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 5:40 pm

Usually, when you take a foreign language at an introductory/basic level, one doesn't really have to go "too fast." The pace is usually quite slow.

Also: you don't have to be proficient in speaking the language at that point. You just learn some basic words, a little verb conjugation, how to ask a question, how to order something in a restaurant, etc. You'll be asking "How are you doing?" "What time is it?" Basic stuff like that.

RoyalBlood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2014, 9:56 pm

I have a issue where at times things said sound like gibberish or just a blast of non descript sound. But I have studied and understand several languages, I don't speak them well but I can watch television in multiple languages. I think with Spanish there are so many resources for you from computer programs(many free) to audio tapes, tospanish language television of shows you probably saw in english, plus you can watch almost any dvd with spanish subtitles. Trust me you are going to really well, even better than others.

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2014, 7:36 am

Why can't you ask them to repeat what they've said? I take French classes at uni and we are always allowed to ask someone/the teacher to repeat themselves or ask them to please speak slower or whatever to enable us to understand. Sometimes things need repeating a couple of times, or said in a different way for you to understand and that's just part of learning a language and the same for everyone. Of course I understand that it can be harder if you have audio sensory issues!