Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 12:48 am

I'm not sure you really want our thoughts on this. It's what you think that matters most. Look at what you just told us:

Angel2Kalen wrote:
but I would really like it too if when I came home after a long day at work when he is off, that he wouldn't sit at his computer waiting for me to cook him a meal, or complain that cleaning isn't being done when he has the time to help.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
for example recently I brought up to him that he should try to watch his wording when he is talking to his daughters of his previous marriage because he tends to use insulting terms and I can see in their faces that it hurt their feelings.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
but that was when he said I was lecturing him.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
but then he told me to shut up.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
but its when I feel I'm not being heard by him that I tried this and the AS Partners forum, to see if I am handling in a good way or maybe there is a better way that I haven't thought of.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
but if I say its best that he doesn't sometimes he still does, then he spends the next 2 hours complaining to me that he spent money, sometimes blaming me that I didn't talk him out of it.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
Last night he chewed me out

Angel2Kalen wrote:
he tends to get irritated

I'm just getting warmed up...

And, look, I'm not quoting anything out of context to make a point here. You need to be aware of what you're saying. The language you're using where I'm quoting you is important.

You go on to mention previous relationships:

Angel2Kalen wrote:
I have 2 children of my own too from a previous marriage, and I love them with all my heart, so everything cant revolve around only him. I don't believe he feels that the world should revolve around him, but sometimes his actions seems like he wants it to.

The issue I have here, which isn't something you can change NOW, is that unless your spouse died your marriage fell apart due to some unresolvable issue. From what I've seen, divorce is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. It's suicide for relationships. What concerns me is the possibility that you haven't effectively dealt with the issues that broke up your previous relationship. So what expectation do you have that THIS relationship will be any different? And if he had children from a previous relationship, what happened in his former relationship that he is no longer with the mother of his children? And, btw, I'm posing these questions based on certain assumptions, so I'll apologize in advance if those assumptions are incorrect--that is, that the relationships ended in divorce or that children were born outside of a marriage. If a relationship ended because of a death in the family, then I'm sorry. But if the relationship ended for another reason, it's the other reasons that ended the relationships that absolutely must be dealt with if one is to expect THIS relationship to work out positively.

OK…moving on...

Angel2Kalen wrote:
The 2 things that bother me most are him not helping and his reactions to things especially when he tells me to shut up or curses at me.

8O

Angel2Kalen wrote:
he looks at the aspergers almost as a 'get out of jail free' card. That having aspergers is a good enough excuse to act the way he does and that if someone doesn't accept that then its their fault for not being understanding,

Angel2Kalen wrote:
Thankfully he isn't trying to rush into marriage, he proposed but we have not done any planning, so it is giving me a chance to sort through all of this before anything is completely final. Maybe I will talk to him about putting things on hold until things smooth out.

End the engagement NOW. Stop waiting and END IT. You can't do this right now. Maybe you can later. Right now you need the freedom to see someone else if you want to. I'm not saying you WILL see anyone else, but you need to have the latitude to do so. You're not in a good position for fidelity in a relationship, and you seriously need to ask yourself if this is a good relationship for you. Read your own words. It's all there.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
I look forward to more thoughts on this.

*sigh* I don't believe you. I really don't.

Honestly, you seem like a very sweet person. You want to give this guy a chance. You obviously love him. But you are SO UNHAPPY. I'm not known for being an overly sensitive person. But just reading your latest post I'm not sure you really want to hear good news. It's almost like you're asking us permission to get out of this relationship, not advice for how to cope or "deal with it." At the very least dial this thing back. Take it down a few notches. Give yourself the freedom to exit the relationship quietly and explore other possibilities.

Yes, you love this guy. But, y'know? Alcoholics love alcohol. Just because you have love doesn't mean it's a healthy relationship.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 5:41 pm

Angel2Kalen wrote:
Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I haven't checked back since a few days after I made the post originally, I've been keeping myself busy and have gotten my fiancé to read a book dealing with NT/AS relationships with me that has activities to do together. I've read the book aloud to him as he plays his game, he has told me he can focus on both if he is doing something small in the game and has proved it because as I read the book I will stop and ask him his opinion and he will give it. It has helped me understand him a little bit more, plus I am reading a book by myself about how to cope with a relationship with someone with AS. I'm still doing the 2 jobs, full time college, he is back to work now, he works 4 days a week but it is full time hours. The days that he is off he likes to sleep late and play the game. I don't mind if he does play the game and sleep late, but I would really like it too if when I came home after a long day at work when he is off, that he wouldn't sit at his computer waiting for me to cook him a meal, or complain that cleaning isn't being done when he has the time to help.

I think that I know what book you're talking about and I've heard other people say that they've found it helpful. With regards to him helping on days when he's not working, I'll re-iterate what I said before that maybe you can talk to him beforehand about what you want him to help with. Additionally, you can use one of those whiteboards that some people put in the kitchen to use to write shopping lists etc, you can use it to leave him notes on what you would like to help with on days when you're not at home and he isn't working. I'd suggest discussing this idea with him when you both are able to.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
He never likes to feel that he is being 'lectured' as he puts it, and I try not to make it like a lecture, for example recently I brought up to him that he should try to watch his wording when he is talking to his daughters of his previous marriage because he tends to use insulting terms and I can see in their faces that it hurt their feelings. I brought this up to him after they had left because I knew he had a chance of getting more upset and I didn't want his daughters to see that. I knew I was getting through to him a bit because when I talk to him I watch his responses and he got quiet and seemed a bit sad hearing he may have hurt them. So I tried to explain to him what feelings other have when he says things so that he had a clear understanding but that was when he said I was lecturing him. I didn't mean it that way and I tried to tell him that is not how I intended it but then he told me to shut up.

When discussing something like that with him, I think that it would probably be best to talk specifically about what was said and how it made them feel but while trying not to sound like you're criticising him. I don't know specifically the context of what was said but it sounds to me like he didn't intend to upset his daughters nor did he even realise that he had upset them. I wouldn't put it in a way that saying certain things to other people may upset them. He probably already knows that but sometimes we upset people without meaning to. If it's an issue that he uses words that sound insulting, then just tell him that he probably shouldn't use those particular words and just point out to him that his daughters seemed upset it.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
Since there was so many responses to my original post I hope I remember everything that seemed to need to be answered. Someone had brought up about me possibly just complaining about him, I always try to talk to him first about problems that I have, but its when I feel I'm not being heard by him that I tried this and the AS Partners forum, to see if I am handling in a good way or maybe there is a better way that I haven't thought of.

The problem with asking these kinds of questions on the ASPartners forum is that I don't think that the main purpose of that particular forum is to help people with strategies on how to make AS/NT relationships work. If anything, the relationships of most people on that forum have already failed, so you're not going to get a lot of responses on there that give advice and suggestions on how to work through AS-related issues, regardless of what you ask there. There are other forums on the Delphi site that you may find useful and are more aligned to what you're looking for but it just isn't that one. For example, these 2 Delphi forums are dedicated to specifically what you're looking for and they are hosted by a man with aspergers:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/asworks

http://forums.delphiforums.com/asandpartners

Angel2Kalen wrote:
He has a hard time explaining himself, and a good amount of the time he will wind up talking about something completely different...like the game...which is frustrating because it can be a serious conversation but nothing gets accomplished.

Sometimes, it's easier for those of us with aspergers to explain ourselves in writing rather than face-to-face conversation because it's not immediate and we have time to put our thoughts together and think about what we'd like to say. Maybe what you could do is ask him to write down his thoughts and then you can talk about it with him at a later time but that's just a suggestion.

I don't have any any suggestions about the budget thing but maybe other people have some ideas.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
I don't want to just give up on him, because from knowing what I do about him he seems to feel like he has just been abandoned by others, so I try not to do that to him, but as others have said in replies I have to think about my needs sometimes too. I have 2 children of my own too from a previous marriage, and I love them with all my heart, so everything cant revolve around only him. I don't believe he feels that the world should revolve around him, but sometimes his actions seems like he wants it to.

Of course. For NT's a relationship with someone with aspergers can be a bit more challenging than someone without but at some point you will have to think about yourself too.

Angel2Kalen wrote:
The 2 things that bother me most are him not helping and his reactions to things especially when he tells me to shut up or curses at me. I think deep down he isn't just an a-hole, but I do think he looks at the aspergers almost as a 'get out of jail free' card. That having aspergers is a good enough excuse to act the way he does and that if someone doesn't accept that then its their fault for not being understanding, that he shouldn't have to put forth a big effort to change anything about himself even if it could help him out in the end.

No Aspergers is not a "get out of jail free" card. With regards to the helping, I can only say what I've said before about talking to him about what you want help with and organising that with him. In addition to what I've said about what to do about the days he's off work though, you can also try and make an agreement with him about what you would like him to help when he gets back home from work. Rather than just say "help me if I look like I need help", try make an agreement with him that you'd like him to help with the dishes whatever when he get's back home from work before he goes onto the computer to play his game or whatever else he does usually. Sometimes we need clear guidelines on what's expected of us but a lot of aspies also have rigid routines about what they do every day. So if, for for example, his usual routine is to go straight onto the computer when he get's home from work, then try and make an agreement with him to help you with whatever you want help with, like helping with the dishes or whatever, before he does that.

With regards to his reactions, if he's reacting to something that you've said, then it could be that on his part, he's becoming defensive to perceived criticism. If that's the case, then maybe the NVC (non-violent communication) that JPS mentioned in previous posts on this thread might help. However, even if that were case, then I'm not sure that it would be an excuse for cursing though, just talk to him about that and tell him how it makes you feel.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 3:10 am

AngelRho wrote:
I'm not sure you really want our thoughts on this. It's what you think that matters most. Look at what you just told us:

What do you mean? We can still give our thoughts on what she's asking but it's ultimately up to her what she wants to do with that information.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 6:51 am

Angel2Kalen wrote:
I think deep down he isn't just an a-hole, but I do think he looks at the aspergers almost as a 'get out of jail free' card. That having aspergers is a good enough excuse to act the way he does and that if someone doesn't accept that then its their fault for not being understanding, that he shouldn't have to put forth a big effort to change anything about himself even if it could help him out in the end..

I wish more asperger's diagnosed folks would admit this about themselves..

My question for you, how did his parents handle his asperger's related outbursts and meltdowns during his adolescent years? Did they coddle him and cater to his behavior? Was it okay for him to yell at his parents and play video games 15 hours a day instead of homework? I personally feel that it translates into adulthood..

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 7:14 am

Jono wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

What do you mean? We can still give our thoughts on what she's asking but it's ultimately up to her what she wants to do with that information.

Well, you noticed I went ahead and shared my opinion anyway, right? lol

Yeah, I mean, it IS up to her. I wonder if she really just wants validation or some kind word as to how she can either fix her partner or if there's some silver bullet that will help her cope with the situation in a more positive way. I honestly believe this relationship can be salvaged. But I don't think her partner wants to salvage it. Look at the language I snipped from her most recent post. He's abusing her. Even worse, he's abusive to his own kids, or so it seems. She's trying to understand him. He doesn't seem to care. I'm not saying I'm perfect, that I never yelled at my wife out of emotional distress or that I never hurt my kids' feelings. But if I felt my wife was pushing my buttons until I acted out or if my kids were exceptionally out of control, we'd all get together for a come-to-Jesus meeting and actually FIX what was going on. Sure, it would mean I'd have to make changes myself, and I'm willing to do that. But at the same time everyone else is going to work on themselves, too, and we're going to pull together to make living together a positive experience for the duration.

She's doing all the work in this relationship. He's not even IN this relationship. He's got his head stuck in a game. She could parade around naked right in front of him and he'd tell her to get out of his way. When she tries to communicate her needs to him, he tells her to shut up. If she took her kids and moved out, he wouldn't even notice because he'd be too busy playing his game.

I think she wants to know how to change him, which she can't do. I don't think she wants us to tell her to break up with him. But there's no future here. www.moveon.com #splitsville

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 10:00 am

886 wrote:
Angel2Kalen wrote:
I think deep down he isn't just an a-hole, but I do think he looks at the aspergers almost as a 'get out of jail free' card. That having aspergers is a good enough excuse to act the way he does and that if someone doesn't accept that then its their fault for not being understanding, that he shouldn't have to put forth a big effort to change anything about himself even if it could help him out in the end..

I wish more asperger's diagnosed folks would admit this about themselves..

My question for you, how did his parents handle his asperger's related outbursts and meltdowns during his adolescent years? Did they coddle him and cater to his behavior? Was it okay for him to yell at his parents and play video games 15 hours a day instead of homework? I personally feel that it translates into adulthood..

First of all, I don't think that there's anything she described which sounded like meltdowns to me. If anything, there's defensiveness. Secondly, as a gamer I also spend a lot of time gaming. Even NT's can spend lot's of time on a hobby and I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that as long as it doesn't take over the rest of your life. A lot of aspies can spend quite of time on their special interest as a de-stressor in order to calm down after a stressful day for example. That being said, it doesn't mean that she can't get him to help around the house a bit more or spend more time with her. I've already provided some of my own ideas on how to do that but you can take that as you will.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 4:37 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Jono wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Well, you noticed I went ahead and shared my opinion anyway, right? lol

Yeah, I mean, it IS up to her. I wonder if she really just wants validation or some kind word as to how she can either fix her partner or if there's some silver bullet that will help her cope with the situation in a more positive way. I honestly believe this relationship can be salvaged. But I don't think her partner wants to salvage it. Look at the language I snipped from her most recent post. He's abusing her. Even worse, he's abusive to his own kids, or so it seems. She's trying to understand him. He doesn't seem to care. I'm not saying I'm perfect, that I never yelled at my wife out of emotional distress or that I never hurt my kids' feelings. But if I felt my wife was pushing my buttons until I acted out or if my kids were exceptionally out of control, we'd all get together for a come-to-Jesus meeting and actually FIX what was going on. Sure, it would mean I'd have to make changes myself, and I'm willing to do that. But at the same time everyone else is going to work on themselves, too, and we're going to pull together to make living together a positive experience for the duration.

She's doing all the work in this relationship. He's not even IN this relationship. He's got his head stuck in a game. She could parade around naked right in front of him and he'd tell her to get out of his way. When she tries to communicate her needs to him, he tells her to shut up. If she took her kids and moved out, he wouldn't even notice because he'd be too busy playing his game.

I think she wants to know how to change him, which she can't do. I don't think she wants us to tell her to break up with him. But there's no future here. www.moveon.com #splitsville

I disagree with all your points and I think that you are misinterpreting the situation. Yes, there are some problems being described here but all relationships have their ups and downs. Also, as far as I've seen there's no evidence he's intentionally hurting anyone. With regards to him not wanting to salvage her relationship, I disagree with that because she even said in her response that some of the things she's tried as a result of we've said here has already started to help, like her reading a book with him on AS/NT relationships and he is responding to that.

There is no evidence that he intentionally tried to upset his daughters. If you look at her wording, she said that she only asked him to watch wording, that's all. This is not a case of "pushing his buttons" or his kids "being out of control", she actually never said anything that suggested anything like that in her post. It may simply be a case, for example, of him simply talking to his kids about something and using wording that unintentionally upset them. She said nothing about him being cross with the kids or anything like that.

Also, with regards her trying to communicate with him, the way I read it is that she's simply frustrated that sometimes her communication is unsuccessful, like sometimes he says that it feels like she's "lecturing" him and he doesn't like that. Also, she actually did say in her post (and I can quote where she says this and even highlight it in bold if you want me to), that there are other times where he actually does listen to her and try to accommodate her needs. So I think that to say that he doesn't care is actually wrong. Edit: Just to point out, I do not believe that saying things like "shut up" is acceptable either but my suggestion to her on that one was to talk to later and tell him how this makes her feel.

I don't think that she wants to change him, I think that she just wants advice on strategies on how to communicate better with him (as well as perhaps how to deal with other idiosyncratic behaviours), that's all. In fact, she even says this inner last post as well. As an aspie yourself, who's been married for however many years, surely you must know that an NT spouse or partner must often do a bit more talking than if they were in relationships with NT's to communicate due to us missing a lot of non-verbal cues? I mean, how does your wife communicate with you? I think that that's all she wants to know.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm

I've only read the OP, just disclosing that first.

I would say this is not a guy you should wish to remain with for your own long-term mental health if he's not willing to work on this. Using AS as an excuse is BS and I'm here to tell you that I believe that in a lot of situations where people put the blame on it they are aware that they've not been doing as they should. I am AS and have a very very recent ex who is AS and I cut things off when he started using it as an excuse for things that were a constant issue with no effort to work on it. Things that would be nothing short of unacceptable if I were to do them to him and use the same excuse. By the end of it all, the only thing I wanted to say was "Spare me, chump."

Being selfish and entirely self-centered is not going to cut it in a relationship and after you've been made aware of being that way, you need to change yourself/constantly work on it. I'm not a considerate person by nature and I have the tendency to be oblivious to others needs, but I know that I am this way, so I consciously put effort into not being that way while in a relationship. We all have strengths and weaknesses, that does not mean we should accept our weakness just as they are and say "Oh well, everybody else can deal with it."

For the first 7 months of our relationship, I was always so understanding about his weaknesses. I was willing to work with him and accept it when he inevitably fell short sometimes, but my patience eventually started running thin when he was no longer willing and continued to expect me to uphold my side to the relationship. I would have continued to have been loving and understanding if he had just put any visible effort into it. I wasn't breaking up with him because of his AS, I broke up with him because he wasn't up to challenge of bettering himself like I was willing to do for him and not all of these issues are *just* because he has AS. Many NTs are self-centered people with major areas of weaknesses, too.

I realize that I've just gotten out of a bad situation and I might be projecting a bit, but this might be useful for you. Who knows?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 5:56 pm

Angel2Kalen wrote:
Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I haven't checked back since a few days after I made the post originally, I've been keeping myself busy and have gotten my fiancé to read a book dealing with NT/AS relationships with me that has activities to do together. I've read the book aloud to him as he plays his game, he has told me he can focus on both if he is doing something small in the game and has proved it because as I read the book I will stop and ask him his opinion and he will give it. It has helped me understand him a little bit more, plus I am reading a book by myself about how to cope with a relationship with someone with AS. I'm still doing the 2 jobs, full time college, he is back to work now, he works 4 days a week but it is full time hours. The days that he is off he likes to sleep late and play the game. I don't mind if he does play the game and sleep late, but I would really like it too if when I came home after a long day at work when he is off, that he wouldn't sit at his computer waiting for me to cook him a meal, or complain that cleaning isn't being done when he has the time to help.

I am hoping to find a better way to communicate with him and I'm glad that so many here have different thoughts and with ideas on how to deal with things. I try to generally talk to him when he isn't wrapped up in something big in his game, like he will do dungeon hunts, and those are the times I leave him alone because I know that will just make him irritated. When he is doing things like crafting in the game is when he will hear me and is more open to conversation. He never likes to feel that he is being 'lectured' as he puts it, and I try not to make it like a lecture, for example recently I brought up to him that he should try to watch his wording when he is talking to his daughters of his previous marriage because he tends to use insulting terms and I can see in their faces that it hurt their feelings. I brought this up to him after they had left because I knew he had a chance of getting more upset and I didn't want his daughters to see that. I knew I was getting through to him a bit because when I talk to him I watch his responses and he got quiet and seemed a bit sad hearing he may have hurt them. So I tried to explain to him what feelings other have when he says things so that he had a clear understanding but that was when he said I was lecturing him. I didn't mean it that way and I tried to tell him that is not how I intended it but then he told me to shut up.

Since there was so many responses to my original post I hope I remember everything that seemed to need to be answered. Someone had brought up about me possibly just complaining about him, I always try to talk to him first about problems that I have, but its when I feel I'm not being heard by him that I tried this and the AS Partners forum, to see if I am handling in a good way or maybe there is a better way that I haven't thought of. He has a hard time explaining himself, and a good amount of the time he will wind up talking about something completely different...like the game...which is frustrating because it can be a serious conversation but nothing gets accomplished. He says he wants us both to be involved in decision making but when it comes to something like the budget he focuses on things that is stuff we cant control, like how much money I will make 3 months from now. He is salaried so his never changes, mine is hourly so it does. When we go to the store he will get 'tempted' to buy something and if he REALLY wants it he will ask if he should buy it, but if I say its best that he doesn't sometimes he still does, then he spends the next 2 hours complaining to me that he spent money, sometimes blaming me that I didn't talk him out of it. Last night he chewed me out because I didn't pick up the last pack of chicken at the store before someone else did. He had started talking to me about something else, and he tends to get irritated if I don't give my full attention to him when he talks so I put my focus to him before grabbing the chicken because I didn't see it as urgent because there wasn't someone else there at that moment.

I don't want to just give up on him, because from knowing what I do about him he seems to feel like he has just been abandoned by others, so I try not to do that to him, but as others have said in replies I have to think about my needs sometimes too. I have 2 children of my own too from a previous marriage, and I love them with all my heart, so everything cant revolve around only him. I don't believe he feels that the world should revolve around him, but sometimes his actions seems like he wants it to.

The 2 things that bother me most are him not helping and his reactions to things especially when he tells me to shut up or curses at me. I think deep down he isn't just an a-hole, but I do think he looks at the aspergers almost as a 'get out of jail free' card. That having aspergers is a good enough excuse to act the way he does and that if someone doesn't accept that then its their fault for not being understanding, that he shouldn't have to put forth a big effort to change anything about himself even if it could help him out in the end.

Thankfully he isn't trying to rush into marriage, he proposed but we have not done any planning, so it is giving me a chance to sort through all of this before anything is completely final. Maybe I will talk to him about putting things on hold until things smooth out.

I look forward to more thoughts on this.

Reading all this didn't sound any better, it just looks like it's bordering on abuse. Look up relationship abuse and see if any of it describes your partner and if he ticks even a single box. Many women think abuse means beating you up and hitting you and slamming you into walls and furniture and throwing and breaking things but it's not always the case. There is emotional abuse and mental abuse. You may find excuses for your partner to justify a box he ticked for it but that is pretty common in partners of abusive partners. It took me a while to accept my ex was abusive and I was also making excuses for him like "he just had AS so he was honest" "he had PTSD so it made him at that way" "he was just paranoid so he had to know what I was talking about to my parents" "he worried too much what people thought so he didn't like me talking to my parents because he was worried what I would say about him and them thinking wrong of him." "He had AS so he didn't understand."

Also some aspies take it literal when they learn about AS so they think it gives them the free pass to act the way they do and think they are not responsible for their behavior and think they ca just stop being normal and go back to the way they were as children. I suspect min did this too but yet he was unhappy about it and I should have just told him then "If you want to be normal so much, start acting like it, stop doing (inserts his behavior here)" He was always saying how he wanted to be normal but he didn't do anything about it. If someone wants to be normal, start working at it than feeling sorry for themselves.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:20 am

@Jono: If you'll excuse the hyperbole here, let me put it this way--

If I intentionally kill someone and there's no justification for it, it's murder. If I "accidentally" kill someone, it's manslaughter. Depending on circumstances, I might escape punishment for the latter. But regardless of whether I commit murder, manslaughter, involuntary homicide, or whatever, they guy is still DEAD.

Same thing with the aspie fiancé here. Doesn't matter if he means it or not. She is being abused.

I've said it before and it bears repeating: I DO think this relationship CAN be salvaged. The problem is this guy doesn't WANT to salvage it. If he cared, he'd have done something about it. The plain FACT is the OP (read what I quoted earlier) clearly stated there were previous relationships involving children that ended due to undisclosed issues. I don't know what those issues were, but I'm highly suspicious that the problems of the past are catching up with them both in this new relationship because they weren't dealt with after the former marriages were dissolved. And I know that the OP is falling back into those same patterns of behavior because she wouldn't have ended up with this guy and tried to make a life with him if she hadn't. Clearly this guy hasn't dealt with any issues that destroyed his previous relationship. I don't think he believes he did anything wrong in the first place, so why change now? This relationship CAN be saved IF both parties act quickly to turn it around.

I admire the OP for loving this guy in spite of all the wrong he's done her. I admire her for trying to understand him, trying to adjust, and for trying to accommodate him. But she's alone here. He's making a minimal effort if at all just to make her "shut up." But, aspie or not, when is it EVER acceptable to curse someone or tell her to shut up? I've never cursed my wife--or any woman I was in a relationship with, for that matter, even if I felt she had it coming--and I've NEVER told a woman to "shut up." Well…ok…there was that one time, and I was talking dirty to her, which led to…never mind, TMI, and not important… This guy is just keeping her around so he won't be alone on a Friday night. That's all it is. She's just another toy or decoration he can play with or admire when he feels like it. If this relationship is going to get fixed, HE'S the one who is going to fix it. She's already done all she can, and I feel like she's gone above and beyond the call of duty. He's barely taken the first step.

As far as my own relationship goes… I never changed because my wife told me I had to. It was more out of necessity. If I were still teaching in school and still had summers off and no kids to take care of, I'd probably still spend every spare hour playing video games. She gave me a ton of crap about that back in the day, and I stopped doing a lot of things partly out of respect for her, and partly because circumstances changed and the kids needed someone to take care of them more than I needed to teach piano lessons. Daycare expenses were killing us and I was barely breaking even, and that was when I DID have a ton of students and bringing in an extra $1k-$2k a year. So I chose to keep my youngest with me all day rather than daycare, and I replaced video games with writing music and trying to produce an album. I haven't been all that successful YET, but for me it's been all about at least DOING something with my days and having something to show for it. It's all about making the effort, which can eventually translate into something marketable and make sacrificing my whole teaching career worth it. I might be the stereotypical "basement dweller" type. But I don't have to be satisfied with that. Plenty of housewives work from home, have blogs, and make money through social media. I'm a lowly electronic musician who quite possibly is past his prime. But if all those stay-at-home moms can do it, what's my excuse?

Story time: Just played a luncheon gig for a group of senior adults. Played solo handbells. Opted NOT to get a babysitter for my 2yo, which ordinarily would have been a big mistake. It's just I know these people, so when my son was being a goofball, the crowd erupted in laughter. I just smiled and played it off, didn't say a word. They seemed to enjoy my performance. What amazes a lot of people is how well-behaved he is most of the time.

Story #2: He's been sitting with me for the last several funeral services I've played. During the last one I did, a young woman asked HER mother if my boy was just going to sit there at the piano with me the whole time. She replied, "just watch." He's only 2 and barely makes a sound. Young moms want my secret. It's simple: Consistent discipline starting at 1 year. There's really no secret. I expect a lot from kids. I refuse to bribe. Good behavior IS its own reward. Most parents freak out over a fussy baby. We never did that. What you see are the results of that parenting approach. Of course, parents like to argue with me over that, so I normally just shrug and say, "I suppose I'm just blessed with awesome kids," which is true, too.

I'm rambling somewhat, I know. The point is how we've dealt with MY issues and how it's helped our relationship survive for 15 years (married 9). I've been heavily resistant to change and only accepted MASSIVE changes to my work and lifestyle because I had no real choice. I fought it the whole way. I only accepted things the way they are when life beat me down so far there was nowhere left to go. I could see that keeping a private teaching studio in the private school was actually a hardship on us because what I made from teaching wasn't enough to offset daycare. I was willing to fight to keep that gig partly to discourage my competitors and partly for long-term career investment, but when my 2yo was born, it was like the final nail in the coffin. I threw myself into writing/producing music at that point and the results are just beginning to show.

I'm not sure how my relationship experience is going to help the OP, however. Their relationship is different. He actually DOES have a full-time "job-job," and she's STILL carrying him. Unlike my relationship in which my wife seems to prefer carrying me (at least for the time being), both people involved seem to want to stand on their own two feet. What worked for us isn't going to work for them. They have to figure that out. I reached a point at which I had to stop being stubborn, accept the cards I was dealt, and make the most of it. I don't feel like the OP must accept the cards she's been dealt. Her fiancé likes his cards and doesn't want to give them up. In the context of a card game, two people working together is called a "hustle." They have to win TOGETHER. He's still playing a zero-sum game with her. He doesn't want to split the winnings. He wants to keep it all for himself. That's not a team. And he's certainly not going to make it work cursing his fiancé and telling her to shut up.

There's no relationship here. What's going to work best for her IF he doesn't make some changes is to end it. Otherwise, she's going to have to accept this forever. I'm begging her not to torture herself like that.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:39 am

League_Girl wrote:
Reading all this didn't sound any better, it just looks like it's bordering on abuse. Look up relationship abuse and see if any of it describes your partner and if he ticks even a single box. Many women think abuse means beating you up and hitting you and slamming you into walls and furniture and throwing and breaking things but it's not always the case. There is emotional abuse and mental abuse. You may find excuses for your partner to justify a box he ticked for it but that is pretty common in partners of abusive partners. It took me a while to accept my ex was abusive and I was also making excuses for him like "he just had AS so he was honest" "he had PTSD so it made him at that way" "he was just paranoid so he had to know what I was talking about to my parents" "he worried too much what people thought so he didn't like me talking to my parents because he was worried what I would say about him and them thinking wrong of him." "He had AS so he didn't understand."

Also some aspies take it literal when they learn about AS so they think it gives them the free pass to act the way they do and think they are not responsible for their behavior and think they ca just stop being normal and go back to the way they were as children. I suspect min did this too but yet he was unhappy about it and I should have just told him then "If you want to be normal so much, start acting like it, stop doing (inserts his behavior here)" He was always saying how he wanted to be normal but he didn't do anything about it. If someone wants to be normal, start working at it than feeling sorry for themselves.

Oh boy. I don't agree with everything people have said in the new responses so far but there's one thing that I do agree with League_Girl on. Nobody needs to accept mistreatment from anyone regardless whether they have AS or not. The part where I think that this may be an issue is in this paragraph here and where I've bolded the relevant part:

Angel2Kalen wrote:

There is a way to avoid the situation that League_Girl describes. What I will say about that is that you should argue with him and tell him in no uncertain terms that while you're trying to be understanding and that you're trying hard to communicate with him in a way that doesn't upset him and that he doesn't misinterpret you, you not accept AS as an excuse for telling you to "shut up". Also tell him how much it hurts you. It sounds harsh and it may upset him but if it's truly the case that he cares about your feelings and if he values the relationship, he will stop that behaviour. So, when you feel that he's just using Asperger's as an excuse and a "get out of jail free" card, just tell him that are trying to be understanding but you will not accept it as an excuse for that type of of behaviour because it's still ultimately not a "get out of jail free" card.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:58 am

AngelRho wrote:

If I intentionally kill someone and there's no justification for it, it's murder. If I "accidentally" kill someone, it's manslaughter. Depending on circumstances, I might escape punishment for the latter. But regardless of whether I commit murder, manslaughter, involuntary homicide, or whatever, they guy is still DEAD.

No, no, you misunderstand what I meant. I agree with you to an extent and please see my latest response to League_Girl, I've never said that anything is all of a sudden acceptable just because it's unintentional. What I can say however moral responsibility does not come in two binary boxes, meaning a responsible/not responsible dichotomy because there also exist degrees of culpability and in order determine those degrees of culpability, intention is still important. Taking your example of murder vs manslaughter (also called culpable homicide in South Africa), yes, it's correct that a person responsible in both circumstances, yes, it's correct that the consequences are the same in both circumstances. However, it's still also the the case that the person committing manslaughter is still less culpable than the person committing murder due to the lack of intention and in fact, this is the reason why manslaughter is considered a lesser crime than murder and why people convicted of manslaughter get a lesser sentence.

That's my opinion though.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 11:27 am

Jono wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

No, no, you misunderstand what I meant. I agree with you to an extent and please see my latest response to League_Girl, I've never said that anything is all of a sudden acceptable just because it's unintentional. What I can say however moral responsibility does not come in two binary boxes, meaning a responsible/not responsible dichotomy because there also exist degrees of culpability and in order determine those degrees of culpability, intention is still important. Taking your example of murder vs manslaughter (also called culpable homicide in South Africa), yes, it's correct that a person responsible in both circumstances, yes, it's correct that the consequences are the same in both circumstances. However, it's still also the the case that the person committing manslaughter is still less culpable than the person committing murder due to the lack of intention and in fact, this is the reason why manslaughter is considered a lesser crime than murder and why people convicted of manslaughter get a lesser sentence.

OK…but now I'M not being very clear…

It doesn't matter what the degree of culpability is. What matters is that you can't bring a dead person back. Dead is still dead.

Doesn't matter WHY he abuses his fiancée. What matters is that she is being abused. Intentional or not, I'm not seeing any signs that this is going to change over the long-term. Which is why they CANNOT be married. Not right now, and it's somewhat encouraging that there are no plans as of yet to make a marriage happen. I don't think she needs to give up on the relationship. But she DOES need to change the context of the relationship. They need to live in separate houses/apartments. They need to restrict seeing each other to once or twice a week. They just need to be bf/gf for a while. Stay in a committed relationship, dial down the level of commitment. And if either of them become interested in seeing other people, they can have "the talk" later. Or they can just break up now. I mean, whatever… But they're both going to be miserable with each other if this continues. And I haven't even touched their respective skeletons in the closet--however, I'm going to stop right there as I'm risking well-poisoning.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 3:02 am

AngelRho wrote:
Jono wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

OK…but now I'M not being very clear…

It doesn't matter what the degree of culpability is. What matters is that you can't bring a dead person back. Dead is still dead.

Doesn't matter WHY he abuses his fiancée. What matters is that she is being abused. Intentional or not, I'm not seeing any signs that this is going to change over the long-term. Which is why they CANNOT be married. Not right now, and it's somewhat encouraging that there are no plans as of yet to make a marriage happen. I don't think she needs to give up on the relationship. But she DOES need to change the context of the relationship. They need to live in separate houses/apartments. They need to restrict seeing each other to once or twice a week. They just need to be bf/gf for a while. Stay in a committed relationship, dial down the level of commitment. And if either of them become interested in seeing other people, they can have "the talk" later. Or they can just break up now. I mean, whatever… But they're both going to be miserable with each other if this continues. And I haven't even touched their respective skeletons in the closet--however, I'm going to stop right there as I'm risking well-poisoning.

:roll: Oh Wonderful. Did you read my reply to League_Girl? Do you think I'm saying that she must just accept his behaviour? I've said no such thing. What I said was that she must first make it clear that she won't accept Asperger's an excuse for everything he does and in the event that he doesn't stop doing that even after knowing the effect that it has on her, then there's no reason to stay accept the behaviour.

Angel2Kalen
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2014, 4:01 pm

This morning I wrote a note to my fiancé bringing up what bothered me last night and this morning, it was the same type of usual troubles, cursing and communication. I wanted to be sure that I was able to let him know I felt because I had to go to work and he was still mostly asleep. I had brought up about him possibly taking anger management classes to see if that would help, he said his last wife had him take anger management classes and they didn't help because they didn't touch on any of his triggers. We talked a little bit about it and we gave each of our feelings about what had happened.

I read the other posts and it is true that I want him to put more effort into trying to work with me to make the relationship better. From what I understand from him his past relationship had no tolerance for trying to work with someone with AS so he spent a majority of his time staying away from her, closed up in his room playing games. He didn't eat with the family he just shut himself away to avoid problems or arguments. My previous relationship was a mentally and/or emotionally abusive one that truly didn't care about anything I said or felt. I was bit by one of our dogs and even after a week went by and my arm had swollen and turned purple he told me to not go to the ER because he didn't want the dog to get into trouble. We got divorced finally because he toyed with my emotions one too many times with saying that he originally brought up about us splitting up just to see how I'd react.

My AS fiancé will listen to me, and I think with effort I will get through to him and hopefully help him understand that some things shouldn't be said, or in a certain way. He says he raises his voice only because I do, if I do I don't realize it, and I try hard to control my tone no only not to yell but also because he can have sensitive hearing.

I appreciate the responses to my post because I like finding out good ways to deal with the situation, I'm not beyond leaving but I would rather stay with him and work with him and only leave if there seems to be absolutely nothing else that can be done.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 7:03 pm

Angel2Kalen wrote:
This morning I wrote a note to my fiancé bringing up what bothered me last night and this morning, it was the same type of usual troubles, cursing and communication. I wanted to be sure that I was able to let him know I felt because I had to go to work and he was still mostly asleep. I had brought up about him possibly taking anger management classes to see if that would help, he said his last wife had him take anger management classes and they didn't help because they didn't touch on any of his triggers. We talked a little bit about it and we gave each of our feelings about what had happened.

I read the other posts and it is true that I want him to put more effort into trying to work with me to make the relationship better. From what I understand from him his past relationship had no tolerance for trying to work with someone with AS so he spent a majority of his time staying away from her, closed up in his room playing games. He didn't eat with the family he just shut himself away to avoid problems or arguments. My previous relationship was a mentally and/or emotionally abusive one that truly didn't care about anything I said or felt. I was bit by one of our dogs and even after a week went by and my arm had swollen and turned purple he told me to not go to the ER because he didn't want the dog to get into trouble. We got divorced finally because he toyed with my emotions one too many times with saying that he originally brought up about us splitting up just to see how I'd react.

My AS fiancé will listen to me, and I think with effort I will get through to him and hopefully help him understand that some things shouldn't be said, or in a certain way. He says he raises his voice only because I do, if I do I don't realize it, and I try hard to control my tone no only not to yell but also because he can have sensitive hearing.

I appreciate the responses to my post because I like finding out good ways to deal with the situation, I'm not beyond leaving but I would rather stay with him and work with him and only leave if there seems to be absolutely nothing else that can be done.

Thanks for the information. I think that I'm now starting to understand what's going on. I wasn't trying to suggest that you immediately leave him, just that you first try and get him to understand how some of things he does makes you feel. From what you've just posted, I think that there may be more going on here than just your fiancé's ASD though. For example, you've said that your previous relationship was emotionally and mentally abusive and from the description of that incident with the dog, it sounds like your previous relationship was far worse than any of the issues with your current one with your fiancé. Do you think that you may developed PTSD from the abuse in your previous relationship?

With regards to anger management courses for your fiancé, I know that Tony Attwood who's expert in Asperger syndrome says that there are some anger management courses that cater specifically to people with Asperger's which take all those things into account:

http://www.aspergerfoundation.org.uk/infosheets/a_angermanagement.pdf

Here's a link to Tony Attwood's website:

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au

More than that, I'm not sure what other information to give you on this particular point.

I'm just wondering, have you considered that both you may need see a therapist? Maybe you as well as him because I'm not sure if you're still affected by that abuse that you've experienced in your previous relationship.

It sounds to me like you can still work through the problems that you currently have in this relationship and that despite everything, your fiancé still tries to be understanding. Good luck.