Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm

I don't mean as in First Person Shooter or something like Contra or Metal Slug (both are good games) which is a different genre, but i'm talking about games that's usually a Side scrolling or vertical shoot em up game usually in a space ship or a plane like Gradius, R-Type, Raiden, Giga Wings, or Striker 1943. I enjoyed this genre since i was i kid. When i go to arcade and i see a game like Striker 1943 series on the arcade machine, i quickly go on it and play it. Oh What a fun childhood i had. Nowadays unfortunately, its popularity is low in America but i don't know about Japan. Maybe it's still popular there but who knows. There are still Shoot em up games today but it's less of them as of right now.

How many of you here played vertical/Side scrolling Shoot em up games? What is you favorite? :)

Here is what it's looks like if you never seen it before

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 6:39 pm

Uridium and Sanxion immediately springs to mind as some of the ones I used to play on the C64. The only contemporary game in the genre I've played is Project Root.

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2014, 10:06 pm

Ahh cool! I may check it out.

Darius is another good Shoot em up game. Basically side scrolling shoot em up but fighting mostly robotic Fishes lol.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 10:28 pm

Ahhhh... yes, this genre. Of everyone at the forum here, I'm likely the one most familiar with it. Though, my tastes in this one might be a bit different from yours.

A couple of examples:

Now granted that first example is a little... extreme, but still, those are a couple of favorites of mine. Not that I dont play other types of shmups, but those are ones I actually have videos of.

This genre is actually alot more popular and common than you'd think.... the problem though is that it's not in the places it used to be. Way back when, you'd find these on consoles all the time. Now? No. Aside from a big pile of Japan-only games found on the 360, nearly all games in this genre hit PC only these days. And there's actually alot of them. Both of the bullet-hell type (as in the videos) or the "traditional" sort. I can think of TONS of these games just on Steam alone. The idea that there are few of these being made these days is incorrect, actually....

Now that's not to say that there's NONE on consoles, but they are few and far between, and almost all of them are downloadable games, not games that you get a physical copy of (except for those imports from Japan). It's just so much easier to simply make them on PC now. Oh, and on iOS: There's ALOT of them on iOS, and I dare say that may actually be the perfect platform for this genre... there's no such thing as a more accurate form of control for these, than that.

But yeah, I've played this genre absolutely to death, as the videos there might hint at, haha. Giga Wing was the game that got me into it, and the original Mushihime-sama (not found in the US normally, though a version of it did hit iOS) was the one that sealed the deal. And then about a bazillion others came after that, haha.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 11:23 pm

It's not my favorite genre, but I liked Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley for NES, R-Type and Centipede for Gameboy, and Space Invaders.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:38 am

I could never finish this game. I think of this whenever I hear "bullet hell".

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2014, 2:41 am

Misery wrote:
Ahhhh... yes, this genre. Of everyone at the forum here, I'm likely the one most familiar with it. Though, my tastes in this one might be a bit different from yours.

A couple of examples:

Now granted that first example is a little... extreme, but still, those are a couple of favorites of mine. Not that I dont play other types of shmups, but those are ones I actually have videos of.

This genre is actually alot more popular and common than you'd think.... the problem though is that it's not in the places it used to be. Way back when, you'd find these on consoles all the time. Now? No. Aside from a big pile of Japan-only games found on the 360, nearly all games in this genre hit PC only these days. And there's actually alot of them. Both of the bullet-hell type (as in the videos) or the "traditional" sort. I can think of TONS of these games just on Steam alone. The idea that there are few of these being made these days is incorrect, actually....

Now that's not to say that there's NONE on consoles, but they are few and far between, and almost all of them are downloadable games, not games that you get a physical copy of (except for those imports from Japan). It's just so much easier to simply make them on PC now. Oh, and on iOS: There's ALOT of them on iOS, and I dare say that may actually be the perfect platform for this genre... there's no such thing as a more accurate form of control for these, than that.

But yeah, I've played this genre absolutely to death, as the videos there might hint at, haha. Giga Wing was the game that got me into it, and the original Mushihime-sama (not found in the US normally, though a version of it did hit iOS) was the one that sealed the deal. And then about a bazillion others came after that, haha.

You got a point about that. I enjoyed these type of game. It was part of my childhood. However, when i mentioned people to this genre nowadays (i mean the America not Japan), their be like "what the hell are you talking about? *giving you a strange looks*". They need to be opened about games like these you mentioned or what i posted instead of being spoiled, close minded to modern FPS shooters *cough* *cough* COD & BF *cough* *cough*.

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

I just recently discovered a new vertical shoot em up on Steam called, Kamui. Its looked really interesting! Check this game play video out if interested:

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

I just recently discovered a new vertical shoot em up on Steam called, Kamui. Its looked really interesting! Check this game play video out if interested:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:14 pm

Yeah, Steam has alot of good ones.

Some that I can recommend:

Crimzon Clover
eXceed (and it's two sequels)
QP Shooting: Dangerous!
Jamestown
GundeadliGne (yes that's spelled properly)
Gundemonium

And there's tons of others. Look at the "shoot em up" tag on Steam to find about a bazillion of them.

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2014, 12:27 am

Misery wrote:
Yeah, Steam has alot of good ones.

Some that I can recommend:

Crimzon Clover
eXceed (and it's two sequels)
QP Shooting: Dangerous!
Jamestown
GundeadliGne (yes that's spelled properly)
Gundemonium

And there's tons of others. Look at the "shoot em up" tag on Steam to find about a bazillion of them.

Oh thanks for the tip! :D