If there was an Autistic state would you migrate there?

Page 11 of 17 [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next

Would you move to a state for ASD people?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 28 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 48 ]
Maybe (state why) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 88

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 1:36 pm

thomas81 wrote:
By your same logic I could just as easilly argue against the existance of states based on religious lines. Where do you establish what is and isn't a good reason to start a country?

I would argue againt it. Especially in this day and age.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

We could look out a little further for a place to colonize...

After all, things like Mars One are starting to happen... Link

I don't like the idea of using reality TV as a way to colonize mars.... but once a colony is set up, there will probably be expanding colony missions. And recent technologies, especially those made by Reaction Engines Ltd, will exponentially cheapen costs and allow two way transportation to and from mars...

Smart saving and rigorous fund raising and it might be possible to set up a small colony sometime a few decades from now.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 1:58 pm

Protogenoi wrote:

I don't like the idea of using reality TV as a way to colonize mars.... but once a colony is set up, there will probably be expanding colony missions. And recent technologies, especially those made by Reaction Engines Ltd, will exponentially cheapen costs and allow two way transportation to and from mars...

Smart saving and rigorous fund raising and it might be possible to set up a small colony sometime a few decades from now.

I really hate Mars One. They are ominously vague on the mission specifics which makes me concerned not only about the motives and mission objectives but also the health and well being of the crew. I suspect it will be the Hindenburg disaster of this century. Even then, such super projects like this aren't going to be inclusive of the 'everyman'. The Mars One settlement, even if it is established will probably be inhabited by athletic supermen 'lucky'(?) enough to be selected or superwealthy billionaires in search of 'Galt's Gulch' as someone referenced earlier in the thread.

My deviant art profile

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

Protogenoi wrote:

The costs would be absurd. How much do you propose that we all save? A hundred billion? A trillion?

Upon rereading the comment, you didn't seem to mean funding the first colony. So it might just take a billion.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

Quote:
I would go with that. :D

Me too! Then we can tell the Croats to hand Siga over to Aspies, and the nice bits of the Dalmatian coast too!

Quote:
The Croats, on the other hand, were allied with Germany and were only to happy to kill any and all American soldiers, often pilots who crashed in the country, and would wipe out entire villages of Serbs who helped American soldiers escape alive. And don't forget the horrific Croats concentration camps.

My country deliberately starved 50 million Indians to death in the 19th century, and committed many atrocities when keeping hold of our colonies. We even bombed Zadar in WW2. I witnessed an Indian person get racially abused last week.

Every country has done sh***y things in the past.

Perhaps we should name our capital "Pavelicgrad", and ban the reading of books in public to make the locals happy :-p

I shall see if it's ripe for settlement in April! After all, Jeremiah Heaton went to an even more backward place and managed to found a country!

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 4:14 pm

I'm still not clear why you need sovereignty. Is it so you can extort (though you'll probably hide behind the euphemism "tax") wealth from people to fund your city state? Why would anyone live there, then?

But hey, I'm an anarchist, I don't think there are any valid grounds for founding a state. Well, except in cases of a clear and present threat to human survival that can't be dealt with any other way.

I still vote for setting up an Autist phyle, with communes and enclaves all around the world. Come up with a few good business ideas to employ the members, split the shares 50-50 between the employee-owners and the phyle, get enough money to fund the support needed. Run schools, sheltered housing, those sorts of things.

Maybe even establish a commune in Siga, later...

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 4:32 pm

o0iella wrote:
My country deliberately starved 50 million Indians to death in the 19th century, and committed many atrocities when keeping hold of our colonies. We even bombed Zadar in WW2. I witnessed an Indian person get racially abused last week.

50 million Indians in the 19th century? Where country are you in?

While our treatment of the Indians was reprehensible, there were far few then 50 million Indians in the US in the 19th century and quite possibly not that many in any one century ever.

I'd be surprised if we starved 50,000 Indians to death in the 19th century. If I understand correctly, their primary mortality was due to diseases, not starvation.

As far as bombing Zadar, you do realize, don't you, that it was in enemy hands at the time?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm

What country are *you* in, Eric?

Indians are people *from India*...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm

This hare-brained idea is based largely on the assumption that if ASD folks had their own country ASD folks would treat other ASD folks with more sympathy than NT folks treat ASD folks. But as far as mental wiring and thought process ASD differ from each other as much, or more, than they differ from NTs. ASD folks would be just as lacking in understanding of each other as NTs are in lacking understand of ASD folks. So the odds are that we would treat each other no better than NTs treat us.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 5:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
This hare-brained idea is based largely on the assumption that if ASD folks had their own country ASD folks would treat other ASD folks with more sympathy than NT folks treat ASD folks. But as far as mental wiring and thought process ASD differ from each other as much, or more, than they differ from NTs. ASD folks would be just as lacking in understanding of each other as NTs are in lacking understand of ASD folks. So the odds are that we would treat each other no better than NTs treat us.

People on WP sometimes treat one another so abhorrently that one has to wonder why we even need to have NT's when we do that to our own kind!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

Magneto wrote:
What country are *you* in, Eric?

Indians are people *from India*...

Ahhhh. It makes sense, then. I was thinking American Indians.

And during World War II, there were many Gurkhas serving to fight the Axis powers. I know one fellow who died a few years ago who spent World War II in the military stationed in India. He expressed a good deal of admiration for the fighting abilities of the Gurkhas who he knew.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 12:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

People on WP sometimes treat one another so abhorrently that one has to wonder why we even need to have NT's when we do that to our own kind!

AMEN

i for One love SO-CALLED NT'S

THEY ARE SO COOL!

LOVING
AND
KIND!

i embrace them.. sometimes literally as such...
ON THE real highways of LIFE. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 12:33 pm

o0iella wrote:

Every country has done sh***y things in the past.

Indeed, but Croatia is suffering from collective self-induced amnesia....and even today some ustachi songs can be heard performed by some singers, and one of the most popular singers here is Marko Perković Thompson, who even got banned from performing in some countries since he was performing songs that are celebrating ustachi war criminals. On his concerts there are even people wearing ustachi symbols on their caps - caps with the "U" symbol.

"Evo zore evo dana" performed even nowadays, and very popular apparently:

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

Upon further reading, I realised I'd actually had in mind a new song, written by Thompson and also quite popular nowadays:

"Jasenovac i Gradiška Stara"

translation taken from here: http://www.juliagorin.com/wordpress/?p=911

Jasenovac and Stara Gradiška,
That’s the house of Maks’s butchers.
There was a slaughterhouse in Čapljina,
Neretva carried away many Serbs (from there).

O Neretva, flow downhill,
And carry the Serbs into the blue Adriatic.
Through Imotski trucks rush,
Driving the black uniforms of Jure Francetić.

I am Ustasha and so was my father,
Father left the craft to his son…
Whoever said that Black Legion is not coming back,
May his father f**k him.

Lady Sinjska, if you can, take away Stipe and bring back our Franjo.
O Racan, may a dog f**k your mother, and the ones who voted for you.
Shining star above Metković,
Send our greetings to Ante Pavelić.

Taken from wiki:

Quote:
"Jasenovac i Gradiška Stara" (Jasenovac and Stara Gradiška) is a Croatian song promoting the Ustaše, the World War II fascist Nazi puppet government.[1][better source needed] The lyrics celebrate the World War II persecution of Serbs in Herzegovina.[2]

In 2003, Matija Babić criticized the Croatian band Thompson for performing such a song, and he also criticized Croatian Radiotelevision, Croatia Records and the rest of the media for continuing to cover Thompson as a mainstream artist.[2]

In 2007, Efraim Zuroff, while reporting in the Jerusalem Post on a Thompson performance at Maksimir Stadium, said that Perković gained notoriety for having performed the song which was overtly fascist, and criticized Thompson concerts as an occasion for a display of extremist nationalists.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasenovac_ ... A1ka_Stara

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 1:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Thats BS though because in an ASD state there would be more common denominators between us. Its not even necessarilly that there would be greater empathy but the greater commonality in interest would mean we would forge greater strides to taking beneficial goals, specifically i am thinking of tackling the amount of ASD people out of employment.

My deviant art profile

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 1:43 am

thomas81 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Thats BS though because in an ASD state there would be more common denominators between us. Its not even necessarilly that there would be greater empathy but the greater commonality in interest would mean we would forge greater strides to taking beneficial goals, specifically i am thinking of tackling the amount of ASD people out of employment.

I gotta tell you, if the battles I, a liberal, have had with conservative/libertarians here on WP - Aspie or not - are any indication, we'd be at each other's throats as soon as anyone else.