Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm

Has anyone here been prescribed anxiety medication for autism? If so, what kind? My psychiatrist has given me certain medications for anxiety but he won't prescribe anything addictive saying it's only for temporary situations. Another thread suggested, I think... that benzodiazepines helped with autistic anxiety, but they're addictive so I'll never be prescribed them. :( Do they work?

I'm on gabapentin and even depo-provera for anxiety and it helps to a point but not when I feel a panic attack or shutdown coming on.

SickPuppy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm

I was on Lorazepam, one of those addictive meds. I'd say it helped more than other medications they have tried to give me in the past, but I suppose anything is better than an anti-depressant. Definitely something you wouldn't wanna take everyday, I was real careful with that. When I did take it I wanted to just stay home and lay down so it was kind of counterproductive. "I can take this and have less anxiety and stay home and sleep or I can not take it and have anxiety and go out and do what I need to do for the day". If you're like me your anxiety isn't much of an issue if you're staying home, so it was like why am I even taking this. I've also been on Gabapentin but for the reason of physical pain. Anything more than the smallest dosage just made me feel like I was high and unable to function well. I've also heard some pretty bad things about that medication, like you shouldn't be taking it for long periods of time, especially if you aren't taking it for its main purpose: seizures. It's an anti-convulsant but they try to market it for all sorts of things. Lyrica is a similar medication to Gabapentin, I had better results with that but it also comes with the same issues as I previously stated about Gabapentin and probably shouldn't be used for long periods of time. I don't understand why they would give you Depo-Provera to help with anxiety as it can cause anxiety and panic attacks more than it is going to help with it. Wish I could give you a solution but I've yet to find something that is going to work for me, that I can take on a daily basis, that isn't going to be counterproductive to my problems.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm

SickPuppy wrote:
I was on Lorazepam, one of those addictive meds. I'd say it helped more than other medications they have tried to give me in the past, but I suppose anything is better than an anti-depressant. Definitely something you wouldn't wanna take everyday, I was real careful with that. When I did take it I wanted to just stay home and lay down so it was kind of counterproductive. "I can take this and have less anxiety and stay home and sleep or I can not take it and have anxiety and go out and do what I need to do for the day". If you're like me your anxiety isn't much of an issue if you're staying home, so it was like why am I even taking this. I've also been on Gabapentin but for the reason of physical pain. Anything more than the smallest dosage just made me feel like I was high and unable to function well. I've also heard some pretty bad things about that medication, like you shouldn't be taking it for long periods of time, especially if you aren't taking it for its main purpose: seizures. It's an anti-convulsant but they try to market it for all sorts of things. Lyrica is a similar medication to Gabapentin, I had better results with that but it also comes with the same issues as I previously stated about Gabapentin and probably shouldn't be used for long periods of time. I don't understand why they would give you Depo-Provera to help with anxiety as it can cause anxiety and panic attacks more than it is going to help with it. Wish I could give you a solution but I've yet to find something that is going to work for me, that I can take on a daily basis, that isn't going to be counterproductive to my problems.

Yeah, gabapentin made me a zombie when I was on a higher dosage, so my psychiatrist cut it in half. I'm looking for a medication that will allow me to get out into the world and function.

As for the depo-provera, I had no idea it causes anxiety and panic attacks. I was prescribed it by my regular doctor to help with the anxiety I suffered each month as a natural result of my estrogen cycle. My anxiety would shoot through the roof and my medications would become inaffective for 2 weeks out of every month, so I started getting depo-provera injections, which helped immensely. (An added side-effect is no more period for the 3 months the depo-provera is working.)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Dec 2014, 1:20 am

I take Gabapentin for OCD & it's a big help but it doesn't help with the anxiety much. I take Buspar for anxiety which helps alot & it's the only med specially for anxiety that isn't a benzo.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition