Neologism, word playing, idiosyncratic humour

Page 8 of 35 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 35  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 6:21 pm

^^^ I like that too :thumright: I like to tell people who ask me if I'm psychic, "yes, I have ASP." :alien:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 6:30 pm

Most of the words of my made up language Mythavean come from word playing and my witty sense of humor.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 3:16 am

TIOW - total incapacity of work.
"Nonkanism" - shortening of "nonkanformism" from my previous post in this topic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 4:08 am

when I have trouble remembering something, I tell folks I suffer from CRS. :?

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 7:16 am

Panosy - shortening of "pathological nonconformism syndrome" (abbreviation: PNS)
Monosy - shortening of "morbid nonconformism syndrome" (abbreviation: MNS)

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 7:37 am

Sychno, sychono - shortening of Polish phrase "syndrom chorobliwego nonkonformizmu" (SCN, SChN) ("morbid nonconformism syndrome")
Sypano - shortening of Polish phrase "syndrom patologicznego nonokonformizmu" (SPN) ("pathological nonconformism syndrome")
Synopa - shortening of Polish phrase "syndrom nonkonformizmu patologicznego" (SNP)
Zenopa - shorthening of Polish phrase "zespół nonkonformizmu patologicznego" (ZNP)
Zepano - shortening of Polish phrase "zespół patologicznego nonkonformizmu" (ZPN)

KSC - Kannerotypal spectrum condition ("Kannerotypal" - associated with Kanner's syndrome or conditions related to it or significantly similar to it)

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 8:16 am

Kanspecon - shortening of "kannerotypal spectrum condition".
Kanspedis - shortening of "kannerotypal spectrum disorder".

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 3:43 pm

Vollana-Coremos - a non-existent place name.
Smid - shortening of phrase "smart idiot" (used by "my mentality" to describe me)

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 5:31 am

Augerotwook - blend of auger and twook.
Auger can look as a blend of autism and Asperger. It was also a word which could have meaning like "nerd" or "geek" according to this page: http://mentalfloss.com/article/19524/geek-vs-nerd-vs-dork-whats-difference
Twook - bend of twerp or twit and kook.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 8:31 am

^An augury is a sign or omen about what will happen in the future, and an augur is one who interprets said signs and omens.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 11:08 am

"Castabium", "viltermoni", "ongavasten" - another neologisms which look logically to me, but were not found by a search engine. "Neologisming" might be a form of expressing myself for me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 6:36 pm

Yes, "auger" (also spelled "augur") is not only already taken- it already has two meanings: (1)someone who divines the future (reads entrails or whatever),or an omen itself. Or (2) it can have the unrelated meaning of a big digging tool with a spiraling blade on a shaft (basically a cross between a drill and a post hole digger).

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 4:34 pm

When I was a kid, I loved playing with words. I would build chains between them, connected by anagrams, homophones, synonyms, etc. and often try to find meaning in the results. For instance, if you rearrange the word "chapel", you get the imaginary world "pleach", which sounds like "preach", especially if pronounced with an Asian sort of accent, and "preach" is something that could be done in a chapel. I got so good at anagrams from this, that now I can sometimes unscramble all six of the six-letter words in the Jumble (a scrambled word puzzle that appears in many US newspapers) in under a minute.

I also liked to incorporate other languages, which in my case were either Swiss German (because my mom speaks that) or later Spanish when I learned it in school. As an example, the word for "bone" in Swiss German sounds kind of like the word "knock" in English, and the word for "bean" sounds kind of like the English word "bone", so we have a chain knock --> bone --> bean that weaves back and forth between the languages.

I also had strong emotional connections to words, not in the sense of them reminding me of a concept with emotional significance, but the sounds of the words themselves. Sometimes they can create excitement, like in nca14's case, and I would find something like "caderci" like that too (and many Italian words--Italian sounds kind of like someone hopping and skipping along to me). Sometimes they can also convey anger/frustration, especially if they have several short vowels and hard consonants. Sometimes as a kid I would take names of things that I hated and try to anagram them to an imaginary word that sounded "angry".

I do this kind of wordplay less now as an adult--when I do it's less "cerebral" and more "from the gut", like a word to express my mood state at the time. Like lately I've had this near-constant tension in my brain due to health issues, and sometimes when I've been drinking I start to let go of it. One day I found that it felt relieving to say "JER-ky-jer-ky-jerky" under my breath over and over while exhaling, so I wrote it on the back of the page of math equations I was working on. Also one day I invented the word "Hägeflot", which has an "aggressive" ending of a short vowel and a T, but the beginning is very soft and drawn-out, and to me it expressed the feeling of being calm but on the verge of wanting to lash out in frustration. I imagine it being some kind of Scandinavian word.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 5:38 pm

"Plivelsitas", "erraborone", "ulpibati" - another triad of meaningless neologisms.

I named my condition as being "smart idiot". Shortening of it gives word "smid". It is similar to word "smith". Slavic surnames related to occupation of smith are for example "Kováč", "Kovač". "Smid" can look as a "deformation" of "smith". Due to "deforming" of "kováč" I formed words: "kovoc", "kovots", "kowoc", "kowots", "kuvoc", "kuvots", "kuwoc", "kuwots". These "neologisms" mean for me my condition - being a "smart idiot" (Polish: "sprytny idiota").

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 8:56 pm

Retrologism, the use of old forms presented again. Moudiwarp = mole

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 4:18 pm

"Samosibit", "gernamave", "telloteve", "ilmanagiv", "ultobedos" - another meaningless neologisms.