Neologism, word playing, idiosyncratic humour

Page 6 of 35 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 4:24 pm

when somebody asks you how things are with you, and you're having a tough go of it, you can tell 'em, "things are just peaches and scream." :)

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:31 pm

Today I haven't found the word "aspielogy" in Google.

Aucorology - study of aucory, (hypotetical) branch of sciene about aucory.

Aukien - word constructed like "Aspien" (for me "Aspien" means female Aspie, I wound this word in Internet) meaning a female with aucory. The word might in some way be similar to the phrase "a queen".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:47 pm

I'm the only person I know who says "'puter."

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 4:36 am

Velbecotus (plural Velbecoti) - latinised word from Polish "we łbie kot". "We łbie" - colloquial phrase meaning "in head", "kot" - "cat". Both "Velbecotus" and "Velbecoti" were not found by Google when this post was written. Other variants (in Polish "w" is pronounced like English "v"): Welbecotus - Welbecoti, Velbekotus - Velbekoti, Welbekotus - Welbekoti.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 5:02 am

i am what I am
not a potato nor yam
more like honeyed ham
:mrgreen:

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

Surmulgana, tumbulec, revotomana, uferolati - next "meaningless" neologisms.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 1:48 pm

what does "revotomana" mean? it's gotta mean something. :scratch: my favorite is a "redundant" word [a word not assigned any meaning, made out of "left over" letters not assigned to an actual recognized word], it is "volvap" which happens to be "Pavlov" spelled backwards. :mrgreen:

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 9:37 am

Revotomana - this word has no meaning. I may imagine it as a name of a city in a fictional word. I may imagine a map with this city and other cities, such as Senvigalasta which are inhabited by the tribe named Cunnegaviti.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 11:08 am

The existing word "ideology" is pronounced at least two different ways.

I (and most other people I hear uttering the word in real life) pronounce it EYE-DEE-ology.

But newscasters usually say eh-DEE-ology ( starting with the I sounding like the I in "it").

That way of saying it has always struck me as an 'accidental neologism'.

The way I say it -it sounds like its derived from the word "idea". And the word means "a system of ideas" ( like a political ideology like communism, or democracy, or whatever).

But the way folks on news shows say it -it sounds like its derived from the word "idiot". So it always sounded to me like they are talking about "the intense academic study of idiots, and of idiocy".

So I propose that that media pronunciation of the word SHOULD be reserved for only that separate new meaning. But you would have to change the spelling to "idiology".

Idiology 101 should be the entry level course, and it should be a major in college!

" I got my PhD in 'idiology'. So now I am the world's foremost authority on idiocy!"

The concept could be taken different ways-it could "the study of how to BE an idiot", or just "the academic study of idiots (like the Monty Python documentary on "village idiots")", or it could be a practical guide to avoid idiocy (There would be books with titles like "Idiology for Idiots").

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2015, 5:52 pm

mebbe it could be "idiotacacalogy" :mrgreen:

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 8:47 pm

Yeah, I've done this alot over the years. One example is that I combine the words "gross" (as used for something that is icky) and the word "disgusting".

Grosgusting!

That is like, so totally grosgust'! (Shortened usage)

I am the only one who's been using it in real life.

The best context is for when the words gross and disgusting are just not enough. :wink:

I did not realize there may be an ASD connection, though. That is super skweet!

I often add "K's" and "R's" in bertween letters theyk don't belong. The sprell checker droesn't like that, though. I literally talk like that to everyone. It feels good, though I know that's not really a good reason. :P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 9:05 pm

there must be a word for the phenomenon of people adding letters to words or names. I knew somebody back in the day who kept referring to comedian jerry sTeinfeld.

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2015, 9:07 am

Maybe the part of your brain in charge of language has been activated or excited because you're in a country with people who speak languages different from your default one. The tendency to be playful with words could be a manifestation of the extra mental pliability needed to facilitate the adoption of the new language, like dough that has to become soft before molding into a new shape.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 9:20 am

Dr.Pepper wrote:
Maybe the part of your brain in charge of language has been activated or excited because you're in a country with people who speak languages different from your default one. The tendency to be playful with words could be a manifestation of the extra mental pliability needed to facilitate the adoption of the new language, like dough that has to become soft before molding into a new shape.

Haha, nice theory, but I live in the US, and everyone around me speaks English. English is my native language. I have not learned other languages.
I am attracted to dialects like British, Asian, German, Yankee, and so forth. I like to mimic them a lot. I also watch Dr. Who, and other shows where people speak in different dialects.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 2:59 pm

I read this the other day and thought it was wonderful. Through the ages the Scottish have had 421 words for snow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34323967

Here's a few:

feefle - to swirl
flindrikin - a slight snow shower
snaw-pouther - fine driving snow
spitters - small drops or flakes of wind-driven rain or snow
unbrak - the beginning of a thaw

Beat that Kate Bush.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:20 pm

I made up the word 'confuzzled' from confused and the fizzle spell from Dragon Quest. I often feel like Shakespeare when I make up new words. I have a smart and quirky sense of humor, but sometimes I have to explain my jokes to other people.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII