Neologism, word playing, idiosyncratic humour

Page 1 of 34 [ 542 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 6:14 am

Do you like form neologisms, play with words or have idiosyncratic sense of humour? I have quite a lot of tendencies to it. Some words may be my "obsessions", "stereotypies". Such as the word "Aspijka" which is rare Polish term for a female with AS (or similar conditions also for me). It has masculine form (Aspijczyk) which is not so "cute" to me.

Single words can soemtimes be "excitating" for me, such as Aulerci or Cadurci (names of ancent Gallic tribes) or Passarge (German name of the river Pasłęka in northern Poland). It looks strange. Such a "stereotypies" might lead even to stimming. Why such a curious phenomenon is present in me?

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:07 am

Word playing and idiosyncratic use of words may lead to stimming or be present in it. I am alone now and I say some "funny" words quite loudly, with excitation, some agitation, running, walking, sometimes there is clapping...

I like to "create" new names for "Aspiedom" and similar conditions. Such as:

- general developmental difference/disorder
- pervasive developmental idiosyncracy (pedeid - two first letter of three words)
- developmental idiosyncracy disorder/syndrome (DID, DIS, deiddi/deidsy)
- aucorigia (autocontrast and originality), shortening: acoria, acory, ACR
- AS - acory syndrome (acory is broader term than Asperger's, acory is not epomymic name)
- ASPI - aucorigia syndrome possessing individual ("new" etymology of "Aspie" :) )

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 8:17 am

Some Polish "neologisms":

Aspijkarz - masculine word to denote someone who has strong interest in Aspijkas (augmentative: Aspijarz), feminine counterparts: Aspijkarka, Aspijkara
Aspijkowość - the quality of being an Aspijka
Mruczenica, miauczyca, miauczara - female cat
Mruczeniec, miauczyk, miauczak - male cat

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 11:05 am

Yep...I enjoy creating new words/enriching old ones.

I tried to create my own language when I was 13. I couldn't concentrate enough--so I didn't succeed.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

Anyone who has served a 12 year sentence in school has probably used some of the time to entertain themselves as best they can while chained to a desk. Mental exercises with language gymnastics can provide one type of diversion.

Neutrogena - The guy who thought up this name was brilliant. In 1,000 years it will still be "new".

Truman Capote - A garbled message intercepted by the Germans in WWII.

Excoriate - Sounds like it means disembowel. (in a way, it might)

Teamwork - A free ride except for the guy who does the work.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 12:59 pm

I'm forever bending, mangling, and creatively expanding the English language. It's a big part of who I am.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 6:09 am

I sometimes "create" words who have no meaning. It is just a play. It is rather random "mating" of letters or syllabes. Now it will be just improvisation: mentafola, karbodino, manutolava, dewabinos, kilpole, binnoda, illingon, erroteno, geratumi, ullovaci, oplodania, hilloxico, sasadivon, lonopolon, micellinotelo.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 12:14 pm

Some offensive word may be funny for me. For example Polish word "cymbał" (literally something such as "hammered dulcimer", but it means mainly an insult meaning "twit", "noodle", "noddy" or worse). The word "cymbał" is "associated" in my mind with word "cymbałki" ("glockenspiel", "concert bells", "orchestral bells"), which makes the word "cymbał" funny. The offensive phrase "Ty cymbale!" might appear to mean "You orchestral bell!" It looks funny.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 3:17 pm

I recently started using the term "flat-minds" to refer to neurotypical people, based on the hypothesis that the greater neural synaptic density associated with autism spectrum disorders manifests (or can manifest under the right conditions) as additional cognitive capacity suitable for analytic thought of more dimensions (i.e. variables) than neurotypical minds are capable of.

I like the label because it reverses the typical discourse on autism by describing the neurotypical in terms of what they lack.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 4:07 pm

I do not want to offend anyone, but the abbreviation NT might have other meaning: "nerdy twit". This definition fits to me :(

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 6:15 am

Other offensive Polish word which may be funny to me is "palant". Literally it means "stick-ball" (a game somewhat similar to baseball) or stickball bat. But it is mainly used as an insult meaning something like "stupid". It is interesting why the word "palant" started to mean it. If someone says "ty palancie!", it would be funny if someone other would think that it means "you stick-ball!". The phrase "you stick-ball" appears to be nonsense :)

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 1:49 pm

I do word play but not intentionally. For instance if I need a ink pen I might say inky instead.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

I do this mostly with obscenities. :rambo:

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2014, 9:23 pm

I don't make words, but if you use latin words and pair them with other latin or english words then you can 'discover' words... except for the part where these words already exist... but they might be used rarely.

examples of latin roots include

neo = new

pheno = display, show new

pseudo = false

hom = man

cide = kill

idio = self

path = feel

cracy = rule

theo = god or religion

dem = people

et cetera

French, English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Romanian are just a few of the latin-root (or romance) languages.

Here's an article on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 3:54 pm

Twikoobord (weird looking word :) ) - formed by blending twit, kook, bozo and nerd

Kootwauen - formed by blending kook, twit (or twerp), autisticity and NT (en-tee); describes very bizarre condition, such as twikoobord

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

"Aspijeczka" - also very cute word, dimunitive of "Aspijka" (female with AS or similar conditions). "Aspijeczuńka" is even more dimunitive (even to exaggeration :) ) and does not looks so nice for me.

Nelt - blend of "nerd" and "dolt".

Dord - blend of "dolt" and "nerd". I may use them to describe my not so normal mentality :) I do not want to make this word insults. The word "dolt" may be funny... In Polish it means "głupek" (stupid person, "głupek" is even somewhat offensive word).