Neologism, word playing, idiosyncratic humour

Page 10 of 35 [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 35  Next

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 12:02 pm

Prugavtas - modification of Polish word "pręgowiec" (chipmunk). The word looks somewhat Lithuanian-like. Other modification of that Polish word is "prugavets", which looks Russian-like.

Squirell - a "modification" of the word "squirrel". "Squirell" is found in Google now. "Squirell" is a misspelling of "squirrel".

Gergenovit, virralasco, blinapas, ilogorivo - some "meaningless" neologisms.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 12:34 pm

Sciuratoli, sciurattoli - modifications of "scoiattoli", which means "squirrels" in Italian.

"Scuraittoli" was not found in Google. There were two results for "scuriattoli" today.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:26 pm

Skojatół - Polish neologism based on Italian word "scoiattolo" which means squirrel.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 11:57 am

Myszowodór - Polish word for fictional chemical compound containing mouse and hydrogen (mouse hydride or hydrogen mouside, hydrogen muride, hydrogen myside, murane, mysane).
Wiewiórkowodór - Polish word for fictional chemical compound containing squirrel and hydrogen (squirrel hydride or hydrogen squirrelide, hydrogen sciuride, sciurane).

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

Bobrowodór - Polish word for fictional chemical compound containing beaver and hydrogen (beaver hydride or hydrogen beaveride, hydrogen castoride, castorane).

Jeżozwierzowodór - Polish word for fictional chemical compound containing porcupine and hydrogen (porcupine hydride or hydrogen porcupinide, hydrogen hystrixide, hydrogen hystricide, hystrixane, hystricane).

Kotowodór - Polish word for fictional chemical compound containing cat and hydrogen (cat hydride, hydrogen catide, hydrogen felide, felane)

Psowodór - Polish word for fictional chemical compound containing dog and hydrogen (dog hydride, hydrogen dogide, hydrogen canide, canane)

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 11:32 am

кицать - "transferring" of Polish word kicać to Cyrillic script, meaning "to hop, to jump (to describe a hare or a rabbit).

кицадло - "transferring" of Polish word kicadło to Cyrillic script, which may be humorous word for a rabbit or a hare.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 1:01 am

nca14 wrote:
Some offensive word may be funny for me. For example Polish word "cymbał" (literally something such as "hammered dulcimer", but it means mainly an insult meaning "twit", "noodle", "noddy" or worse). The word "cymbał" is "associated" in my mind with word "cymbałki" ("glockenspiel", "concert bells", "orchestral bells"), which makes the word "cymbał" funny. The offensive phrase "Ty cymbale!" might appear to mean "You orchestral bell!" It looks funny.

I may start laughing when people use words with more than one meaning, or homophones because, unlike most NT people, I don't automatically have the 'correct' word meaning for the context, and need to sort through all possible meanings of words (unless I have memorised the common meaning of the specific phrase etc.) to find the most logical given the circumstances. This means I get many strange meanings before I find the right one.

For example, if somebody says, 'Keep an eye out for signs,' (as in 'look for signs so we know where to go') I think:
1. Eye: Eye (body part) OR Eye (pretend eye) OR 'i' (letter)
2. Signs: Signs (notices or visual directors) OR Signs (visible indicators) OR Sines (Sine waves)

Then I see combinations of the different meanings, which can be funny - imagine a letter 'i' being converged on by many sine waves!

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 11:13 am

Sciuronaut - it might be blend of "sciurus" and "astronaut".

Some fictional chemical compounds: mouse perchlorate, rat dioxide, squirrel (II) nitrate, porcupine suboxide, hamster trifluoride, cat disulfide, didog trioxide, fox (III) sulfate, wolf tetrabromide, coyote hydride, weasel (IV) nitride, stoat (II) iodide, polecat phosphate, mink (III) oxide.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 1:06 pm

Keezadloh, Keetsadloh, keetzadloh, keezadlow, keetzadwoh, keetsadwoh; keezadlo, keetzadlo, keetsadlo, keezadwo, keetzadwo, keetsadwo - modifications (Anglicisations) of the word "kicadło" which is a humorous Polish word for rabbit or hare.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:51 am

Altkottitz, Altkotzitz - "germanizations" of Polish phrase "stara kocica" (alt - old) which means "old she-cat".
I might imagine a locality, village named "Altkottitz".

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

アルコリキャ (arukorikya) - Japanisation (in katakana) of word "aucorigia".
ポリミキシャ (porimikisha) - a Japanisation (in katakana) of word "polymixia".
アウゲル (augeru) - a Japanisation (in katakana) of word "auger".
ノンカンイヅム (nonkanidzumu) - a Japanisation (katakana) of words "noncanism" and "nonkanism".

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 1:25 pm

アウコリギャ (aukorigya) - Japanisation of "aucorigia".
アウコリギャ の うた (aukorigya no uta) - song of aucorigia.
アウコリア (aukoria) - Japanisation on "aucoria".

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 11:46 am

Garoriku (ガロリク), garuriku (ガルリク) - Japanisations of the word "garlic"
Japanese word for garlic is ニンニク (ninniku).

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 11:09 am

Amicology (from Latin amicus - friend) - science or study of friends and friendships.

Alliology (from Latin Allium) - science or study of the plants from genus Allium (like onion and garlic).

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 12:17 pm

Ninnicyna - Polish name of fictional substance associated with garlic, name comes from Japanese word ninniku (ニンニク) which means garlic. English name could be "ninnicin".

Svistaks - "Latvianisation" of Polish word świstak which means marmot.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 10:03 am

öniön, øniøn - parodies(?) of the word "onion"

Shålløt - a parody(?) of the word "shallot".
Cæbuulå - a parody(?) of Polish word cebula, which means onion.