Page 6 of 6 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Have you explored/researched the broad autism phenotype thoroughly?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 10 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 23

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:01 pm

Is not dressing oneself as a 5-year-old really low-functioning though?
I didn't think so, as I didn't dress myself when I was 5 either, and that doesn't seem like an abnormality to me.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm

I've looked up the BAP a lot, but there isn't much on it. I actually find it to be pretty fascinating and I see it in a lot of people I know. I tend to think that I am on the "autistic side" of BAP. If I have AS, it's not "full-blown".

I also like how they have divided it up into three: the narrow autism phenotype, medium autism phenotype, and broad autism phenotype. I just wish there were more studies on it or more research, more written about it and they seem to only acknowledge it in parents and siblings, not children of those with AS, as well. I suppose that probably has to do with lack of acknowledgement of the adults with AS and the problems with how to diagnose and classify adults.

A five-year-old should be able to dress themselves, yes, but I don't think that alone would constitute "low-functioning"; it would have to be lots of things in tandem. Also, I read that difficulty dressing oneself can actually be caused by sensory processing disorder too. Sorry, I know you meant this for KraftieKortie. Just butting in with my two-cents worth.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

I'm not sure if I could even take OFF my own clothes.

But I don't remember wearing a diaper. I was toilet trained at 2 1/2, through (according to my mother) my mother sitting me on the toilet, and telling me, in essence, this is what you do when you have to go to the bathroom.

I was low-functioning in the sense that I used to scream any time I entered a store. If I went in the store, I threw everything off the shelves. My parents couldn't take me anywhere like a restaurant--I would have probably thrown all the plates, silverware, etc on the floor. I had no restraint, apparently.

When I was about 3, one doctor described me as a "vegetable," diagnosed me with autism, and recommended I be institutionalized.

I wasn't able to write AT ALL until age 6. Later on, in my age 5 year, I used to "pretend" to write by scribbling. I was able to perform all the motions of writing, without being able to write--very weird. Also, when I was 6, my father wrote out my name and told me to write it. I wrote it.

You should read "Elijah's Cup." That kid was similar to me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm

I didn't act out much, as I was the aloof kind of autistic child who kept to myself and had no observable reaction to most things, such as people speaking to me in front of my face or propane eggsplosions at the street market.

My father was a super independent child who took himself to the big city hospital to seek medical help for a goiter that he developed when he was three and crawled up the steps of the hospital.

My mother was a normal child, pampered and protected by four older brothers, but she didn't grow up into a completely normal female, eggsacly. Some of these brothers are kind of like my father, but not as socially offensive.

When I was three, the preschool teachers told my parents I was freak of nature, but my parents considered me only kind of weird due to their BAPness. I am super glad I grew up with BAP parents instead of NT parents, many things automatically fit me, because they fit my parents too. In fact, I think that some of my autistic traits were positively reinforced, esp. by my father's autistic traits, whereas NT parents would have tried to decrease them. I wonder if my parents are capable of producing normal children, ackshuly, but I have no way to know, since I am the only one. I also wonder what kind of children I might produce.