Page 5 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Have you explored/researched the broad autism phenotype thoroughly?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 14 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 30

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:01 pm

Is not dressing oneself as a 5-year-old really low-functioning though?
I didn't think so, as I didn't dress myself when I was 5 either, and that doesn't seem like an abnormality to me.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm

I've looked up the BAP a lot, but there isn't much on it. I actually find it to be pretty fascinating and I see it in a lot of people I know. I tend to think that I am on the "autistic side" of BAP. If I have AS, it's not "full-blown".

I also like how they have divided it up into three: the narrow autism phenotype, medium autism phenotype, and broad autism phenotype. I just wish there were more studies on it or more research, more written about it and they seem to only acknowledge it in parents and siblings, not children of those with AS, as well. I suppose that probably has to do with lack of acknowledgement of the adults with AS and the problems with how to diagnose and classify adults.

A five-year-old should be able to dress themselves, yes, but I don't think that alone would constitute "low-functioning"; it would have to be lots of things in tandem. Also, I read that difficulty dressing oneself can actually be caused by sensory processing disorder too. Sorry, I know you meant this for KraftieKortie. Just butting in with my two-cents worth.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

I'm not sure if I could even take OFF my own clothes.

But I don't remember wearing a diaper. I was toilet trained at 2 1/2, through (according to my mother) my mother sitting me on the toilet, and telling me, in essence, this is what you do when you have to go to the bathroom.

I was low-functioning in the sense that I used to scream any time I entered a store. If I went in the store, I threw everything off the shelves. My parents couldn't take me anywhere like a restaurant--I would have probably thrown all the plates, silverware, etc on the floor. I had no restraint, apparently.

When I was about 3, one doctor described me as a "vegetable," diagnosed me with autism, and recommended I be institutionalized.

I wasn't able to write AT ALL until age 6. Later on, in my age 5 year, I used to "pretend" to write by scribbling. I was able to perform all the motions of writing, without being able to write--very weird. Also, when I was 6, my father wrote out my name and told me to write it. I wrote it.

You should read "Elijah's Cup." That kid was similar to me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm

I didn't act out much, as I was the aloof kind of autistic child who kept to myself and had no observable reaction to most things, such as people speaking to me in front of my face or propane eggsplosions at the street market.

My father was a super independent child who took himself to the big city hospital to seek medical help for a goiter that he developed when he was three and crawled up the steps of the hospital.

My mother was a normal child, pampered and protected by four older brothers, but she didn't grow up into a completely normal female, eggsacly. Some of these brothers are kind of like my father, but not as socially offensive.

When I was three, the preschool teachers told my parents I was freak of nature, but my parents considered me only kind of weird due to their BAPness. I am super glad I grew up with BAP parents instead of NT parents, many things automatically fit me, because they fit my parents too. In fact, I think that some of my autistic traits were positively reinforced, esp. by my father's autistic traits, whereas NT parents would have tried to decrease them. I wonder if my parents are capable of producing normal children, ackshuly, but I have no way to know, since I am the only one. I also wonder what kind of children I might produce.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 10:47 pm

I am starting to think that criteria for ASD is way too broad.

There are also reports or stories that some lose their ASD diagnosis as they get older, just because they got improved, even though some forget that ASD is a developmental disorder ( especially milder forms of ASD ) and a developmental disorder is something you have for the rest of your life.

Even my brother's friend said he was diagnosed with Autism, but he thinks it is stupid, because from his perspective, it never caused him any distress in daily life, but his doctors thought otherwise.

Developmental disorders comprise a group of psychiatric conditions originating in childhood that involve serious impairment in different areas. There are several ways of using this term.

[1]

The most narrow concept is used in the category "Specific Disorders of Psychological Development" in the ICD-10.

[1]

These disorders comprise developmental language disorder, learning disorders, motor disorders, and autism spectrum disorders.

[2]

In broader definitions ADHD is included, and the term used is neurodevelopmental disorders.

[1]

Yet others include antisocial behavior and schizophrenia that begins in childhood and continues through life.

[1]

However, these two latter conditions are not as stable as the other developmental disorders, and there is not the same evidence of a shared genetic liability.

[1]

Developmental disorders are present from early life. Most improve as the child grows older, but some entail impairments that continue throughout life. There is a strong genetic component; more males are afflicted than females.

[1]

This is just an example, but it’s not accurate.

Females should get the same treatments and therapies just like men gets.

Should we change the criteria for Autism Spectrum disorder? In order to have diagnosis of ASD you need to have traits of part of ASD for four months, after 12 months of age and if traits are gone after more four months you are developmentally delayed.

In order to qualify for diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder, symptoms must be present for four months right before the age of one.

Autism can be diagnosed at age through 0-3 years of age, but moderate to milder form of Autism can be diagnosed at the age of 4+

According to Wikipedia a chronic condition is a health condition or disease that is persistent or otherwise long-lasting in its effects or a disease that comes with time. The term chronic is often applied when the course of the disease lasts for more than three months.

Even if symptoms of Autism is gone, you are still considered to have history of developmental delay, because the traits of ASD lasted for more than three months

Symptoms of ASD for four months before the age of one:

1. Not respond to their name by 12 months of age
2. Not point at objects to show interest (point at an airplane flying over) by 14 months
3. Not play “pretend” games (pretend to “feed” a doll) by 18 months
4. Avoid eye contact and want to be alone
5. Have trouble understanding other people’s feelings or talking about their own feelings
6. Have delayed speech and language skills
7. Repeat words or phrases over and over (echolalia)
8. Give unrelated answers to questions
9. Get upset by minor changes
10. Have obsessive interests
11. Flap their hands, rock their body, or spin in circles
12. Have unusual reactions to the way things sound, smell, taste, look, or feel
13. Does not respond to name by 12 months of age
14. Avoids eye-contact
15. Prefers to play alone
16. Does not share interests with others
17. Only interacts to achieve a desired goal
18. Has flat or inappropriate facial expressions
19. Does not understand personal space boundaries
20. Avoids or resists physical contact
21. Is not comforted by others during distress
22. Delayed speech and language skills
23. Repeats words or phrases over and over (echolalia)
24. Reverses pronouns (e.g., says “you” instead of “I”)
25. Gives unrelated answers to questions
26. Does not point or respond to pointing
27. Uses few or no gestures (e.g., does not wave goodbye)
28. Talks in a flat, robot-like, or sing-song voice
29. Does not pretend in play (e.g., does not pretend to “feed” a doll)
30. Does not understand jokes, sarcasm, or teasing
31. Lines up toys or other objects
32. Plays with toys the same way every time
33. Likes parts of objects (e.g., wheels)
34. Is very organized
35. Gets upset by minor changes
36. Has obsessive interests
37. Has to follow certain routines
38. Flaps hands, rocks body, or spins self in circles
39. Hyperactivity (very active)
40. Impulsivity (acting without thinking)
41. Short attention span
42. Aggression
43. Causing self injury
44. Temper tantrums
45. Unusual eating and sleeping habits
46. Unusual mood or emotional reactions
47. Lack of fear or more fear than expected
48. Unusual reactions to the way things sound, smell, taste, look, or feel

It’s to make it even more broad and most with Broad Autism Phenotype should have some form of ASD diagnosis, because Autism is a spectrum developmental disorder from very severe to very mild.

The reason why I said this, is because the term broad autism phenotype describes an even wider range of individuals who exhibit problems with personality, language, and social-behavioral characteristics at a level that is considered to be higher than average but lower than is diagnosable with autism.

Even if you slightly had some problems with personality, language, and social-behavioral characteristics from early to late childhood, early to late adolescence and adulthood, I would still consider you to have history of developmental delay, regardless if it is diagnosed or not and also, because the DSM changed all subgroups of Autisms into a spectrum disorder, from very severe to very mild.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:28 am

As far as I can gather... In certain order;

-A personality type that resonates with autistic forms of introversion/asociality, likely with a lot of prominent neurotic traits that came along with it.
An allistic that's seemingly fits so well with the autistic circumstances... Thus declaring themselves "half NT/AS".

-NTs with autistic social and sensory processing traits, that includes disabling traits.
It seems contradictory if an autistic is also allistic on basis of social behaviors and desires. It's like the reverse of the above.

-Basically 'very mild' type of autism; or with more or less positive traits than negatives.
This seems to be a favored explanation, yet it crosses with several issues due to defining what 'mild autism' even meant.

-A type of autism that doesn't disable the autistic in spite of developmental delays, numerous and severe traits.
Yet that may defeat the purpose of BAP in terms of severity or expressed traits.

-Autistics with lack of expressed autistic traits for a diagnosis, whether or not it disables the autistics' functioning.
This seems to be more favored amongst the attempts of defining BAP.

BAP doesn't resonate with me as a whole.
As much as I fancy and aim being a non-disabled autistic, and actually not a full-blown bookish introvert type...

BAP isn't within my personal range of autism, in the same way LFA doesn't.
My range always seem to lie between Aspergers and HFA.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:39 am

Norny wrote:
What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?

That's how I like my snare to sound. BAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBRRRTBAPBAPBAPBAPBAP

Wait, what was the topic? :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 4:03 am

Norny wrote:

What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?

An Australian saying "bop." Also, phenotype is not in my vocabulary.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 4:42 am

Norny wrote:
The broad autism phenotype appears largely unexplored by this forum. This can not only be seen directly through potentially relevant posts, but also by the fact that BAP is never suggested as a potential solution for a person's differences and/or struggles that they experience in their lives.

It is often claimed that there is a 'fine line' between autistic and NT, but BAP is consistently neglected in favour of the ASD or NT dichotomy. I believe this is creating false interpretation of what it actually means to be autistic, to have many autistic traits (BAP), to be an NT with autistic traits, or to be an NT without autistic traits - I would expect very little of this website's membership to consist of these individuals.

----------------------------------------------
Here's two questions to keep it simple:

. What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?
. Is there any relevant material that you have read, that may be useful for others here?

I can see how those who are in this catagory can be frustrated because they feel neither here or there. Having traits which they struggle with (Some could be difficult traits causing them issues) and yet they are not in a position to be recognized so they can have help (If it is needed. No doubt it varies from person to person).

There is one positive thing. One can see, feel and understand what it is like to live in both worlds which is such a privelidge position to be in... I mean... Supposing one is a BAP and happened to get a job in assessing people for the autism spectrum. Would they not be the most ideal candidates as they will have a greater depth of understanding from both perspectives rather then one or the other perspective?

You ask what I think of the term "BAP". Here it means a soft bread roll and they are nice too! So when I first saw the word used on this site I was thinking "What are they talking about?" Haha!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 1:57 pm

After conducting online searches (via search-results with the term 'Broad Autism Phenotype' (BAP) in the titles of reports), BAP reports contain clinical terms, and professional jargon - hence challenging to digest, and define.

Here is a basic link On the 'Broad Autism Phenotype'
https://oxfordmedicine.com/view/10.1093 ... hapter-027

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 3:06 am

Norny wrote:
The broad autism phenotype appears largely unexplored by this forum. This can not only be seen directly through potentially relevant posts, but also by the fact that BAP is never suggested as a potential solution for a person's differences and/or struggles that they experience in their lives.

It is often claimed that there is a 'fine line' between autistic and NT, but BAP is consistently neglected in favour of the ASD or NT dichotomy. I believe this is creating false interpretation of what it actually means to be autistic, to have many autistic traits (BAP), to be an NT with- autistic traits, or to be an NT without autistic traits - I would expect very little of this website's membership to consist of these individuals.

Here's two questions to keep it simple:

. What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?
. Is there any relevant material that you have read, that may be useful for others here?

I wouldn't say thoroughly by any means but I'll do my best.
When I think of the Broader Autism Phenotype I thnik of the tendency of family members of autistic peoplet o show some mild autistic traits like maybe some mild sensory issues or social difficulties. Without them being extreme enough to cause much trouble in their lives. I can't rlealy help you on the secnod one. P.S. I realize the OP probably isn't on the forum anymore.