Page 19 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:57 pm

tomato wrote:
@aghogday

Did you not experience any benefits at all during that period when you had little emotion?

On this particular experience, anhedonia is often associated with depression, but almost has a life of its own. I had it for a long while, with and without depression. I still get it occasionally, and on some level it's almost always with me now.

For those who don't know, anhedonia is the inability to get joy from things, even from the things you would ordinarily love (hobbies, family, beauty, sex, comedy, a good read, music, thinking.. whatever). According to what I've read, it's usually an indicator of depression, but I've noticed it at times when I wouldn't call myself depressed.

Sorry if that's OT, but as for the science of psychology, sometimes it helps to discover that what you're experiencing has a name and reading about it makes some sense of the experience. I think that's a big part of why any science is good - it helps us make sense of our world.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:40 pm

I have been thinking a lot about emotional detachment, lack of emotion etc. over the last few weeks especially. I have noticed that when for example one person feels a threat of some kind it is because he fears losing something, which is the other side of the coin of loving something. If you don't love anything you also don't fear losing anything. I have seen this in myself compared to many people. This is most probably one of the main reasons why women aren't attracted to me. But it feels to me like it has benefits to live in this kind of dissociated state. I see often when I read about politics for example how most people seem to be much more restricted by their fears and desires. Yes, you'll most likely never see me producing much of anything, but I'd argue that you can't be both seeker and fighter simultaneously. Once you choose Coca-Cola, Pepsi is no longer an option. If you remain in a state of considering both equally you never buy either.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

Narrator wrote:
tomato wrote:
@aghogday

Did you not experience any benefits at all during that period when you had little emotion?

On this particular experience, anhedonia is often associated with depression, but almost has a life of its own. I had it for a long while, with and without depression. I still get it occasionally, and on some level it's almost always with me now.

For those who don't know, anhedonia is the inability to get joy from things, even from the things you would ordinarily love (hobbies, family, beauty, sex, comedy, a good read, music, thinking.. whatever). According to what I've read, it's usually an indicator of depression, but I've noticed it at times when I wouldn't call myself depressed.

Sorry if that's OT, but as for the science of psychology, sometimes it helps to discover that what you're experiencing has a name and reading about it makes some sense of the experience. I think that's a big part of why any science is good - it helps us make sense of our world.

I agree, and HELL NO, IT IS NOT OFF TOPIC. :)

Yes, I was diagnosed with Anhedonia AND ALEXITHMIA from the get go for five years total, ALONG WITH THE WORST PAIN KNOWN TO HUMANKIND, in medical literature, per the type two trigeminal neuralgia, with no relief except for 1 tear when a beloved cat died and then eventual recovery back to the highly joyous 'EMPATH' OF A Human BEING I was innately born as, again.

I'll take full blown chronic depression that I also had when young after my first love left, over Anhedonia, any now of now.

No, I wasn't truly depressed, in the emotional sense of that, and was still running on empty as fast as I could go.

And NO, there was no FEELING CONNECTION TO GOD, at all, for me, per the exquisite SENSORY AND EMOTIONAL connections to Mother Nature True that I experienced more fully than most humans likely, as my form of Autism is FULL BLOWN EVERYTHING FROM SENSES TO EMOTIONS TO PHYSICAL STRENGTH and yeah, Standard I.Q that is only a drop of my full experience of life when WELL AS NOW. :)

And yes, science is starting to get a handle on the full experience, potential, lack of, and death of human emotions and empathy that commonly occurs among SOME HUMAN beings.

But this science of the emotional side of humans is still truly in its infancy, and potentially the most important new frontier of science to help eliminate the worst of human death in life, per suffering hearts and souls, as metaphor for the emotional essence of human beings that fires life anew, IN CREATIVE, PRODUCTIVE, AND ORGANIZED 'ORCHESTRATIVE' ACTION, IN EXECUTIVE COGNITIVE FUNCTION, each now of now.

People who ignore the importance of human emotions, in everything humans do, are truly ignoring the biggest '800LB Gorilla that is ever alive in any human room'.

AND the cutting edge of science now, suggests that physical intelligence AND THE FREE ART IN PRACTICE OF HUMAN MOVEMENT THROUGH FULL RANGE OF MOVEMENT is what drives the potential for experiencing and regulating emotions to enhance all areas of life, including sensory integration.

The ACTIVE PROCESS starts WITH MOVEMENT PER Cerebellum PART OF BRAIN and flows down through the vagal nerve from brain to gut, by 'inspiration' of human neurochemcials, and neurohormones, YES, FREE AT PLAY FOR EVEN the potential of human bliss in NOW.

EASTERN PHILOSOPHIES have known and EXPRESSED these truths of the ART of physical movement, THROUGH METAPHORS like Kundalini Serpent that in Metaphor is a healthy WELL functioning vagal nerve, AND THE POWER of CHI, KI, or QI, which is HUMAN EMOTION AT THE HIGHEST BALANCE OF POWERING HUMAN LIFE, AS A POWERFUL AND HEALING FORCE of HUMAN NOWS in bliss of peace.

Most of the misery of human beings, today, is simply from sitting still and not using mind and body in balance.

Yes, SO-CALLED SECRETS OF HUMAN HEALTH, and "spirituality", ARE NOW in PLAIN view, for all to see, for those with 'eyes and ears', to 'see', this most elemental of Mother Nature inspired human nature truth.

AND TO BE HONEST, TRULY, IT'S JUST COMMON SENSE.

AND sad, as THIS SHOWS JUST HOW POWERFUL CULTURE CAN BE, AS A BRAINWASHING FORCE, to inflict misery on one's greatest gift of human health well being, going along with all of the instructions to BE STILL and STAGNANT IN WAYS OF POTENTIAL PHYSICAL INTELLIGENCE, to the detriment of this greatest gift of ALL, PER MOTHER NATURE TRUE AKA God2. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:55 pm

tomato wrote:
I have been thinking a lot about emotional detachment, lack of emotion etc. over the last few weeks especially. I have noticed that when for example one person feels a threat of some kind it is because he fears losing something, which is the other side of the coin of loving something. If you don't love anything you also don't fear losing anything. I have seen this in myself compared to many people. This is most probably one of the main reasons why women aren't attracted to me. But it feels to me like it has benefits to live in this kind of dissociated state. I see often when I read about politics for example how most people seem to be much more restricted by their fears and desires. Yes, you'll most likely never see me producing much of anything, but I'd argue that you can't be both seeker and fighter simultaneously. Once you choose Coca-Cola, Pepsi is no longer an option. If you remain in a state of considering both equally you never buy either.

TRUE FOR SOME folks but I for one am living proof and documented evidence that it is DEFINITELY NOT TRUE FOR ALL FOLKS.

I AM A FIGHTER AND SEEKER, AND PROVE IT EVERYDAY, IN REAL LIFE, TOO. :)

AND I for one create and produce A MEGA AMOUNT OF 'STUFF' THAT SOME FOLKS LOVE and some folks hate but HELL that ain't nothing new, through total recorded human history, FOR SURE, AS most EVERY HISTORY BOOK SHOWS.

IT IS why I am never deterred, as I know and live the history of creative and productive folks, in many ways now.

Different strokes for different folks, is a Universal law of Both Mother Nature and Human Nature as ONE and same as GOD.

The haters are a species as well as the lovers in black and white metaphor too, and to be clear, NONE OF THIS IS DIRECTED AT ANYONE SPECIFIC IN THIS DISCUSSION. :)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:56 pm

Narrator wrote:
tomato wrote:
@aghogday

When I quit coffee, I got some temporary anhedonia but without depression. When it wore off, I regained my desire to look stuff up and found out that decreased dopamine will give you anhedonia. Quitting coffee gave me temporarily decreased dopamine (until my brain re-regulated). Perhaps anhedonia that isn't coupled with depression (always) and comes and goes might be from some sort of dopamine disregulation.

There's this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181880/

Quote:
There is considerable evidence that dopamine has a core role in the brain reward system.66 Indeed, dopamine is released in animal models of behaviors that involve the brain reward system such as food intake or expectation, sex, and drug self-administration. More precisely, dopamine release from the nucleus accumbens, during exposure to a novel food, is modulated by various characteristics of the stimulus and motivational state.67

I experienced anhedonia (for about 2 months) after quitting caffeine because my brain had rejiggered itself to need caffeine to give me sufficient dopamine to get excited about things. So I wasn't depressed but also not thrilled by stuff. Does coffee ever help when that (lack of) feeling hits?

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:03 pm

As i said before, I also think about the distinction between emotion and emotional attachment.

This makes me think of how I once listened to a symphonic track while under the influence of cannabis and it was probably the richest music experience I've had. The second time I tried it didn't feel the same way. I guess that might be emotion. I quit using cannabis later so I haven't had a chance to try again. I have been looking for ways to achieve that increased appreciation or depth of perception of music without using drugs. I found this today in a customer review when checking out a book:

Quote:
my experience of listening to music intensified like 100 times

That was this book. They recommended this book to begin with so I ordered a copy of that. I have been looking into this kind of thing before in the mix of all kinds of things that I've been researching over the last year and a half. I think I also might have had a kundalini awakening one time.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:07 pm

aghogday wrote:
And yes, science is starting to get a handle on the full experience, potential, lack of, and death of human emotions and empathy that commonly occurs among SOME HUMAN beings.

Science ain't getting no handle in the slightest.
Emotions are no more than neurochemical variables really in line with mechanistic thinking.
Not all the variables are known and that is why medical science is only really in tune with some of humanity.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

Janissy wrote:
Narrator wrote:
tomato wrote:
@aghogday

When I quit coffee, I got some temporary anhedonia but without depression. When it wore off, I regained my desire to look stuff up and found out that decreased dopamine will give you anhedonia. Quitting coffee gave me temporarily decreased dopamine (until my brain re-regulated). Perhaps anhedonia that isn't coupled with depression (always) and comes and goes might be from some sort of dopamine disregulation.

There's this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181880/

Quote:
There is considerable evidence that dopamine has a core role in the brain reward system.66 Indeed, dopamine is released in animal models of behaviors that involve the brain reward system such as food intake or expectation, sex, and drug self-administration. More precisely, dopamine release from the nucleus accumbens, during exposure to a novel food, is modulated by various characteristics of the stimulus and motivational state.67

I experienced anhedonia (for about 2 months) after quitting caffeine because my brain had rejiggered itself to need caffeine to give me sufficient dopamine to get excited about things. So I wasn't depressed but also not thrilled by stuff. Does coffee ever help when that (lack of) feeling hits?

Yes, it can be related to dopamine issues, and anything that stimulates the CNS, including coffee, can be a potential short term fix but for me ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WORKED, AND THE ATTENDING psychiatrist was even wanting to put a stimulating device in my chest to stimulate my vagal nerve, so I could feel something, anything, of emotions.

HE SAID I was his worst case ever, and he was an experienced Air Force Psychiatrist, with some of the worse cases of PTSD, combat fatigue, and Anhedonia, under his clinical belt.

And chronic NEGATIVE stress will kill human beings, PER ALL bodily systems, as science now shows, including obviously, the ability to feel any emotion at all.

If nothing else, physical movement burns off the stress related hormones that when not burned off ARE left in the blood stream, as a result of A CHRONIC state of HUMAN 'fight or flight MODE', so yeah, exercise can and will save lives per ultimate human effect and AFFECT of KILLING STRESS.

AND AGAIN, truly that should COME AS basic human common sense but NO, for many folks it is not, as they have little mind and body balance, per potential human physical intelligence that is ALL MAMMALS greatest of POTENTIAL intelligences for survival AND BASICALLY A GOOD LIFE PER BASIC ANIMAL HOMEOSTASIS THAT MOST HEALTHY MIND AND BODY BALANCED MAMMALS ENJOY A MAJOR PORTION OF their life.

HUMANS ARE A NOTABLE EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE, SADLY ENOugH, as a direct result of the negative driving force of cultural illusions, particularly the one that 'says' sit still most of the day.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

tomato wrote:
As i said before, I also think about the distinction between emotion and emotional attachment.

This makes me think of how I once listened to a symphonic track while under the influence of cannabis and it was probably the richest music experience I've had. The second time I tried it didn't feel the same way. I guess that might be emotion. I quit using cannabis later so I haven't had a chance to try again. I have been looking for ways to achieve that increased appreciation or depth of perception of music without using drugs. I found this today in a customer review when checking out a book:

Quote:

That was this book. They recommended this book to begin with so I ordered a copy of that. I have been looking into this kind of thing before in the mix of all kinds of things that I've been researching over the last year and a half. I think I also might have had a kundalini awakening one time.

NOOOOOOOOOO

Not Mantak Chia 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Read his books couple of decades ago, the microcosmic orbit iirc. Seriously, there is better.
Then you might as well delve into Taoism proper after which you can decide whether you still want to spend money on Mantak Chia books...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

guzzle wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Emotions are no more than neurochemical variables really in line with mechanistic thinking.
Not all the variables are known and that is why medical science is only really in tune with some of humanity.

Actually science is making some progress, and one can start with a book called the 'Body Keeps Score', easily found by a Google search, if one desires to learn more.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

guzzle wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOO

Read his books couple of decades ago, the microcosmic orbit iirc. Seriously, there is better.
Then you might as well delve into Taoism proper after which you can decide whether you still want to spend money on Mantak Chia books...

What is better then? I have one book on Qigong but I wasn't impressed by the book.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

tomato wrote:

Quote:

Well, if you haven't tried it, you might start free style dance in moving your body freely in three-dimensional space, as science is now starting to show this both increases the ability to feel emotion, as well as the potential to regulate emotion along with sensory integration.

There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO DOUBT that it works for me every now of every now.

If I stayed on this frigging computer all the time, I would lose my emotions again.

And with that said, I am leaving now to do martial arts and ballet like dance along with extreme strength training to build my emotional intelligence and sensory integration even STRONGER. :)

THE BOTTOM LINE IS, it works for me, and millions of others, as shown through the history of humankind by written individual reports aka anecdotal evidence.

To wait for science, is truly insanity for me.

I go my own way, and illustrate the amazing results on my own way. :)

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:26 pm

Janissy wrote:
Does coffee ever help when that (lack of) feeling hits?

The dopamine/serotonin thing is part of what some anti-depressants are supposed to help with, but they don't really do more than level me out.

As for the coffee thing... I'm no good without a morning coffee.. lol.

But I think you're onto something there.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm

aghogday wrote:
guzzle wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Actually science is making some progress, and one can start with a book called the 'Body Keeps Score', easily found by a Google search, if one desires to learn more.

The Body Remembers

I got my own story that started in 1968. Beyond the scope of this topic really. But i only stopped asking questions some 5 years ago. Only diagnosis they can be sure on with me is early childhood traumatisation and for the rest I have actually managed to get kicked out of the funny farm at one point in my life without being permanently labelled :)

The body remembers. Attachment is a biological process that has it's base in the limbic system I know. I don't actually, but my body does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbic_resonance

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:16 pm

tomato wrote:
guzzle wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOO

What is better then? I have one book on Qigong but I wasn't impressed by the book.

I ended up in Qigong through my interest in spiritual taoism. That whole episode of my life ended with a mega psychotic episode because I didn't do the qigong right.
Anyway, this was the book

After that I sort of kept meeting the right people that taught me what needed to be taught at the time. There are some good vids on you tube too but ultimately the only way to really learn is of a teacher.
Have done lots of reading over the years too and will share some more links you might find interesting. To really understand what you are doing if you do qigong it will undoubtedly help to understand the chinese medical model :mrgreen:

Web That Has No Weaver
Ling Shu
Dragon Rises Red Bird Flies

Got one really old book but good book somewhere upstairs that covers animal forms, will dig it out tomorrow and post the link.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 5:47 am

guzzle wrote:

I ended up in Qigong through my interest in spiritual taoism. That whole episode of my life ended with a mega psychotic episode because I didn't do the qigong right.
Anyway, this was the book

After that I sort of kept meeting the right people that taught me what needed to be taught at the time. There are some good vids on you tube too but ultimately the only way to really learn is of a teacher.
Have done lots of reading over the years too and will share some more links you might find interesting. To really understand what you are doing if you do qigong it will undoubtedly help to understand the chinese medical model :mrgreen:

Web That Has No Weaver
Ling Shu
Dragon Rises Red Bird Flies

Got one really old book but good book somewhere upstairs that covers animal forms, will dig it out tomorrow and post the link.
Thanks.

Quote:
That whole episode of my life ended with a mega psychotic episode
I'm sold.

@aghogday Not sure why you brought up haters and lovers. Yes, you said you didn't address any particular person. But just to make sure, I'm certainly not a hater, even though I'm very skeptical, and I guess there's a fine line between skepticism or cynicism and hate. Which is a philosophical subject I've been thinking about.

As for all this stuff about emotion, funnily I stumbled across a blog post yesterday when I wasn't even browsing on that subject:

http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/energy-depletion-in-a-human-being/

I found this part especially interesting and relevant to me:

Quote:
In this twilight zone, the individual is unwilling to consider solutions that could restore his vitality. He’s already opted for a lower level of life.
That's kind of how I feel. Might be some kind of Stockholm syndrome, you begin to sympathize with something that wasn't really benefiting you. Even sympathy for the devil perhaps.

As I said, I have been interested in these things, am interested in these things, but I remain skeptical. There are those who say that the spiritual world and the physical world are one and the same and those who say they are separate. I don't know which is true. Why all the Catholic sex abuse for example? If I could strive for something beyond corporeality then that would probably be of greater interest to me than this Dionysus or Isis cult that appears to be in question here.

Quote:
Dionysus

The god of wine and of an orgiastic religion celebrating the power and fertility of nature.

If I could walk around in some partial out of body experience I think I'd prefer that actually to having a strong degree of interconnection with the physical world, but I don't know for sure. I guess Osiris is more my flavor right now:

Quote:
Osiris
[...]
He was also associated with the epithet Khenti-Amentiu, which means "Foremost of the Westerners" - a reference to his kingship in the land of the dead. As ruler of the dead, Osiris was also sometimes called "king of the living", since the Ancient Egyptians considered the blessed dead "the living ones"