Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

doesnotcompute
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2014, 6:22 am

I actually had a 3 page note that I took for the first visit for the same reason.
I've also come to the realization in recent years that professionals in their respective fields don't necessarily seem to be able to do some aspects of their jobs as well as, say, an Aspie who decides to educate oneself on a topic. I have started looking into this and which medications would suit my particular situation the best (hence the SSRI question). I'll give this some more time and if it doesn't pan out I'll go to him with my suggestions.
Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2014, 7:50 am

B19 wrote:
Clonazepam banished my anxiety like a wave of a magic wand, with no adverse side effects. This was so remarkable at the time that I was compelled to research everything I could find about it. The most relevant thing I found was a number of studies which told me 1) that a significant proportion of ASD people tend to be deficient in the neurotransmitter GABA from birth and 2) Clonazepam raises levels of GABA in the brain. Certainly worked for me. I stayed on the same dose and made sure that I didn't increase it, and took breaks now and then. For me it was 100% positive, though people are different, one size never fits all. It increased my motivation, zapped my anxiety, and enabled me to achieve goals that I kept procrastinating over.

Yes. I can all share that testimony; that Klonopin seemed to made my anxiety disappear. But for some reason, I still face trauma, confusion, anger, and extreme fear when dealing with my father.
I actually called the abuse hotline on him last night and had a meltdown as I spoke to my bro about why my father made me so mad. I hope my father is in no trouble with the law. Not just for my sake, but his as well. And he has a very sweet dog he needs to continue to care for.

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2015, 3:57 pm

Clonazepam for me is a magic drug - but I only take it as I needed it. 2mg / day seems pretty high. Only you will know if this drug is helpful. If it helps you to sleep - use it to help you to sleep - but there a better drugs to promote sleep. Clonazepam would not be ideal given it has a long half life. This relates to the time it takes to clear from your body. Half life for Clonazepam is up to 36 hours - meaning 72 hours full clearance from the body. Taking it four hourly creates a build up effect - you don't want this.
Take it only when you feel it can be of benefit.
Effexor really helped myself and my son - taken every day - keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Brains are so complicated - it was foolish for your doctor to state this medication would sort out all your problems.

If you are able to work - without using Clonazepam - you are better not to use clonazepam - if it doesn't work for you.

Clonazepam does slow me up and it can make me more groggy - but my slight grogginess is better than my disabling anxiety. The most I would take in one day would be .5mg.

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2015, 4:15 pm

doesnotcompute wrote:
Anybody have experience with SSRIs for anxiety? The mechanism by which these are supposed to work seems more in line with something that would be much more appropriate/helpful than benzos.

SNRI's were better for me - SNRI's work on dopamine as well as serotonin. Also make sure you have steady blood sugar levels. A way to ensure this is to eat protein with every meal.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jan 2015, 2:10 am

I took it several times a day for a over a year & I felt like it didn't have any effect after awhile because I had built up a tolerance; It's meant to be taken occasionally, not daily. I was off it for a few years & was prescribed it for occasional use because I feel claustrophobic like when riding crowded buses. It does help me feel less anxious & less panicky & it helps me sleep if I take it at night but it sometimes kind of make me a tad hyper at 1st if I'm up & when the hyperness wears off I get kind of tired & out of it for abit.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition