Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DanicaBananica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2015, 7:11 pm

Just looking for some suggestions that could help me in some social situations .... :) TY

http://www.oneworldhealing.net

Echolalia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm

DanicaBananica wrote:
Just looking for some suggestions that could help me in some social situations .... :) TY

Hard to know what you are looking for with such limited information. What's worked for me is this.

- When at work, focus on work, but also engage in expected social cues like greeting everyone else in the morning with eye contact and a smile. Asking how someone's weekend was, let them ramble on about uninteresting stuff while I appear interested. Ensure I say goodbye to people before I leave.
- Be happy with my own company, I'm spending a lot of time that way so may as well enjoy it.
- Be comfortable leaving a group huddle in order to attend to something etc and not feel precious about being left out.
- Be comfortable entering a group huddle, asking what the convo's about (if it's an open conversation), smile, nod and agree with the general consensus then politely move on and do something else.
- Make mental notes about innane aspects of the people I interact with often. This helps when you see them again and say...'Oh hey, and how is your special interest tag going?' Makes for continuity with other people and mirrors what they do with you.
- If you don't remember someone just act like you do, until something triggers about this person, or someone else walks past and uses their name. Never confess you don't remember them.
- When I get overwhelmed I 'find something important to do' elsewhere where I can be alone for a few minutes and get my stuff together again.
- Make time everyday for solitude and engaging in my special interests. But no matter how excited I get about my special interests I never talk about them unless they are immediately relevant to the conversation and even then I limit what I share to a very large degree.
- If all else fails ask the person you are with about their spouse/pet/children/house/hobbies/what they think of a current news item.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:34 pm

plenty of alone time and thinking before i speak.