Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2015, 3:04 am

You're having a conversation and you notice something about the other person. Let's say, you see they have a tattoo of a Chinese character, so you comment on it (politely).

You: "Oh hey, I didn't notice before, you have the Chinese character for ___ on your arm"
Other person: "Actually it's Japanese".

There are many other ways or situations where something like this could happen. The point is, the other person's response comes across as "you're an idiot" when it's probably not meant that way. I don't have an issue with this if the other person is right. It's an opportunity to learn. The problem is when the other person is, in fact, wrong (or at least wrong about the way they corrected you).

You: "Indeed, but you know the character for ___ originated in China and is now the same in both Japanese and Chinese. Even the word in Japanese for this type of character, 'kanji' literally means 'Chinese character'."

Perhaps that's a long-winded response, but it feels more equitable than "oh, that's cool", and besides, I don't like to be corrected when I know I'm right.
Does anyone else find this sort of situation annoying/demeaning/unpleasant?

Echolalia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2015, 3:33 am

carthago wrote:
You're having a conversation and you notice something about the other person.

The problem is when the other person is, in fact, wrong (or at least wrong about the way they corrected you).

Does anyone else find this sort of situation annoying/demeaning/unpleasant?

No. I'm not pedantic and I couldn't care less if the other person is an idiot or is under some misapprehension. They frequently are so I choose not to get outraged by it. Otherwise I would never get to enjoy my day.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2015, 4:58 am

It's hard to express without the whole context of the situation. It's one thing if they're saying it in a way to interest you, but I find just as often that there's a defensiveness about their tone, like it's clearly not intended to make conversation, just to try to one-up you.

Echolalia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2015, 5:53 am

carthago wrote:
It's hard to express without the whole context of the situation. It's one thing if they're saying it in a way to interest you, but I find just as often that there's a defensiveness about their tone, like it's clearly not intended to make conversation, just to try to one-up you.

Oh yeah, I get that. But thats just humaity, consumed by petty me thoughts and taking chips off each other. I tune that out mostly because what they want is a reaction. My failure to react appropriately in those situations by feeling scorned by the other person, is very frustrating to them. :mrgreen:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse.