Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2017, 1:07 pm

Ceallaigh wrote:
I realize this is an older post but anyone who's MADE a weighted blanket: What do you think about sewing pennies between layers of fabric, maybe one heavy like denim? I'd sew each one into its own space, and it would probably NOT go in the washing machine. MaybeI'd make a cover that's washable. Thanks!

I would think they might collect in the corners of the spaces. I read about someone that made one with light chain. You could actually stitch that in place. Something like this maybe:
chain

I just bought one filled with glass beads. I'm on my third night. I've NEVER slept so well. I did not expect this much difference.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2017, 1:55 pm

I've never heard of weighted blankets before, but I'm glad I have! I've always thought about how it would be nice to have some weight on me at night. (I hope that makes sense)

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

Ok, I've slept under my weighted blanket for two nights now. IT'S AMAZING!! ! I took a cheap cotton, king-sized sheet, made half like a duvét cover and the other half for my 'blanket'. I stitched in like a big pillowcase only adding channels stitched every 2" or so. I bought #4 copper coated lead shot (for reloading ammunition) and filled just over 1/2 teaspoon to each section and then stitched the row and repeated until I was out of 'fill'. I didn't add any fiber/poly fill or any sort of batting. I get hot sometimes and I didn't want to be too hot under my blanket. So, I sleep with the blanket on me and the regular covers on top of that. It's working out great! I've been able to go to sleep a LOT faster and I feel more calm under it. The 'fill' may gather in the corners of the little sections but I don't notice it, so it works great. .....I bet the chain idea would work with a crocheted blanket......

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2017, 2:25 pm

Ceallaigh wrote:
Ok, I've slept under my weighted blanket for two nights now. IT'S AMAZING!! ! I took a cheap cotton, king-sized sheet, made half like a duvét cover and the other half for my 'blanket'. I stitched in like a big pillowcase only adding channels stitched every 2" or so. I bought #4 copper coated lead shot (for reloading ammunition) and filled just over 1/2 teaspoon to each section and then stitched the row and repeated until I was out of 'fill'. I didn't add any fiber/poly fill or any sort of batting. I get hot sometimes and I didn't want to be too hot under my blanket. So, I sleep with the blanket on me and the regular covers on top of that. It's working out great! I've been able to go to sleep a LOT faster and I feel more calm under it. The 'fill' may gather in the corners of the little sections but I don't notice it, so it works great. .....I bet the chain idea would work with a crocheted blanket......

Nice. I like your handle by the way. My RL name is Caoimhín in Gaelic.

Foreveranaspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

I think insurance companies may cover it you'd have to research it, I saw something awhile back regarding this but I forget where I found it

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 11:35 pm

I have several weighted blankets. 60"x80" on my queen size bed 22 lbs with plastic beads. 42"x72" 20lb. with glass beads (texture is like fine sand). 42"x72" 18lb. with glass beads. 41"x58" 13lb. with glass beads.

I recommend glass beads over plastic beads. More feeling of weight and pressure. You can get any size and weight up to 25lb. at http://www.sensorygoods.com . My queen size blanket was from Cozy Calm, which is now defunct.

I like them quite a lot.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:14 am

This past summer, I could only use a light insulation at night, but, having heard of weighted blankets, I added a very open-weave bedspread I had around, folded to triple-thick over my single. It made a very noticeable difference, and I will keep using it.
If I were thinking to add metal as weight, some ways to conserve on the sewing might be to just glue pennies on, perhaps to a separate layer. Washers can be attached with one thread through the hole, and "fender washers" have just a small hole. Coins or washers can be stacked, too. I'd also consider using finishing nails as rows of permanent pins.
If I didn't mind sewing pockets, I'd probably fill them loosely with washed sand for a very cozy cover. Concrete aggregates would be a convenient source.

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2018, 8:16 am

Definitely buying one now
They seem pricey though. Do they also increase temperature?

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 9:34 am

Goldilocks wrote:
Definitely buying one now
They seem pricey though. Do they also increase temperature?

The one i have stays cool for a bit and warms up slowly, i use a normal blanket on top of it to not get too cold! When it gets warm it stays warm for a while, which is nice!

Mine has polypellets in it (no stuffing).

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2018, 10:11 am

I have one. Sometimes it feels too light, sometimes too heavy, sometimes just right.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2018, 8:30 pm

Yes love mine, just got a new one for this past Christmas and upped the weight to the full 10% of my body weight plus 2lbs. I can sleep soundly thru the night, where as before, that only happened during the winter months when I had heavy blankets on the bed. Now I only have the weighted blanket and a light comforter on top, mostly to protect the expensive weighted one from our dogs and thier toe nails. I also love it when one of them sleeps on top of me. AD

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2018, 10:43 pm

I use a weighted blanket and vest all the time, it is life changing personally. I recommend sensory goods. They are the most cost effective I've found. Also I bought a sewing machine, and am making them out of rice, I want to give them away, and see if other people want to make them too. They aren't just helpful for autism either, people with PTSD, general anxiety, and many others have said it has helped them. I am trying to find the most cost effective way to make them. Because even the cheaper places for an adult blanket charge close to 200 $. And I think something as helpful as this should be available for anyone who needs it. Anyone have any suggestions on fabric, or any ideas? Or want one, it will be a bit before I get it down, but I will mail it to people for free when I get the material. I know poly pellets are machine washable but duvets or pockets to remove the weighted portion allow you to use rice, which is way cheaper. The laundering is the main concern I have found, I am not dead set on rice, but poly pellets are expensive which is why I think these places charge so much.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:17 pm

I used recycled heavy weight denim, with a polar fleece lining.
It doesn't need any filler, it's heavy enough.
I put the seams on the right side and then clip the seams, so it gets a nice frayed look, and this way you basically line it as you go.
I've made quite a few to order over the years.
People donate the jeans I use, so the only expense is the fleece.
Also, I have an industrial Singer machine - I don't think a normal machine would do it.
Everyone I've made one for has been very happy with it.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2018, 1:44 pm

That sounds awesome, for myself I wonder if I would prefer it, because I have a 16 lb. blanket, and I wish it were heavier, I wonder if the weight is comparable. I could definitely see it being enough, I will look into that. That sounds like it would be cost effective in the future, I have a regular sewing machine, and a mini toy sewing machine. Ironically the 20 dollar toy, stiches denim better than the brand name large one. It is sew much fun making blankets.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 2:40 pm

^ One day I might get around to making myself one!

If you prefer it heavier, you can layer squares of denim in decreasing sizes on each square before you sew them.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2018, 11:38 am

Layering with denim should work great, I will try that. After I get some material, I could make you a rice one if you want. I don't have the right machine for denim yet, but I think I will probably get that. I am even thinking of mixing the two, it would require less rice. Though just denim would make the washing much easier. And I think denim clothes at a thrift store might work. I was looking at fabric at Walmart, it is a bit pricey. I got a bag of 80 lb rice, so I figure I will use that at least till it runs out. So far I made a scarf type weighted something. It is more bulky than I would like, which would be another plus to denim, even if you had to layer it.