Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

eric76 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
I sleep with a single sheet, no matter the temperature----I'm the kind that can sleep with the sheet over my head, so I don't need anything else----but, I sure do like the sound of the weight, part.

When I was a kid, I would regularly sleep with the window open even if the temperature was less than 10 F. At that temperature, it would take me about five blankets to keep comfortable.

Yeah, it's been around 8 degrees, here, every night, lately, and I still only had a sheet over me----I didn't have the window open, though----and, I absolutely HATE when the heater comes-on, so it's turned-down, real low.

We only had a gas stove in the living room to heat the house. And that was turned off at night because of the danger of it turning off and then coming back on without being relit.

Oh, yeah----all of my people "down-home" used to have those----I DID use a blanket----and, probably a QUILT, THEN!! (BTW, I NEVER meant to be saying that I was, like, better than everybody else, cuz one sheet was all I needed.)

AllisonWonderland
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2015, 9:47 pm

My weighted blanket is about 13% of my body weight. I sewed it myself using poly pellets for weight; I didn't use any fiberfill. The total cost was about $65. I made it as long as I am tall and 36 inches wide. I wanted it small so all of the weight would be on me. It stays on me when I roll over. I wanted it to be heavier but my dog sleeps under it too. (He can crawl under and out of it himself.)
I wash in it a regular front-loading washing machine and dry it in the dryer. I wouldn't recommend using a top-loading washing machine.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 5:15 pm

I have two - cotton for me to sleep better with - the other is soft fleece, throw size. I love them both.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 3:21 pm

My favorite is a King sized cover made of actual velvet with a lining of a soft microfiber. It is 10lbs. It was a fluke but I rest best under it. My son wants to shank me for it but if he is to live to adulthood I must have this small luxury. I am claustrophobic on most factors but must have a heavy blanket near for shutdowns. I may try a commercial weighted blanket soon, and get one for my son

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 5:26 pm

This may seem like a silly question but, are weighted blankets very warm? I don't want to be extra warm, but I'm intrigued by the weight. I LOVE sleeping under a heavy comforter in the wintertime, but the room must be very cold or I wake up hot and sweating. And I can't do it in the summer.
From the time I was a very little child, I have slept with my sheet wrapped tightly around my body and up around my head, with just my mouth sticking out so I can breathe. That simulates weight, but it isn't as good as a comforter. Is there a weighted blanket that stays cool?

Rundownshoe14
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2016, 12:32 pm

Now I want a weighted blanket
:|

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 12:36 pm

Yes, mines 75 pounds, black and furry, and I named it Lola, it looks a lot like a black Labrador XD

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

INTPnarwhal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2016, 12:45 pm

I have an 18 lb one from Sensacalm that I ordered off Amazon. I wish it was twice as heavy but it's hot enough as it is.

aspieff14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2016, 3:52 pm

I use one to sleep with as well as a way to calm myself when I am overstimulated. I don't know what I would do without it.

I'm not sure where it was bought my mother and my wife went together and purchased it.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 127 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 87 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Looking
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm

I'm making one at the moment. I bought two cotton blankets and some poly pellets. I sewed what i could with a machine, which I have never done before. I'm making one because of the cost of buying one, over £100, maybe £130. It's going to take ages to finish by hand because once the pellets are in place it is almost impossible to keep them in place (because of the very restricted space when using a machine) while sewing and they break the needles.
I can remember that when I was a child I LOVED the feel of heavy weight pressing down on me in bed and I'm hoping that even at my age it can improve my sleep.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 3:20 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
This may seem like a silly question but, are weighted blankets very warm? I don't want to be extra warm, but I'm intrigued by the weight. I LOVE sleeping under a heavy comforter in the wintertime, but the room must be very cold or I wake up hot and sweating. And I can't do it in the summer.

I see nobody has answered this, so I will: no! Weighted blankets are not very warm, exactly for the reasons you give. Of course, when it's really hot in summer you wouldn't want to sleep under any blanket, but most the time it will be cool enough.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 3:28 pm

I've never tried a weighted blanket, but I want to. Perhaps I will make my own.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 3:15 pm

I want to buy a 7kg weighted blanket but sensory direct charge almost £160 for such an item.

Is this how much I can expect to pay for one?

YorkieDuck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2016, 4:19 pm

I keep thinking about a weighted blanket, but wouldn't want to spend all that money without trying one out to see if I liked it or not.
And another question: are they not really noisy? I'd just get a single one to go under the duvet (I currently just have an extra blanket to snuggle with so I don't steal all the duvet to tuck myself in but I think weighted would be much better for me) but I also worry it would keep hubby awake! Any experience on that?
And how warm do they tend to be, as I would be using as well as a normal duvet?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 4:38 pm

Yes, and it really helped. Before I got one I would have at least five blankets on my bed.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2016, 10:58 am

No but I am thinking of having a heavy quilt made. Found a pattern online with a nice, detailed depiction of Neuschwanstein. :D