Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:17 pm

I used recycled heavy weight denim, with a polar fleece lining.
It doesn't need any filler, it's heavy enough.
I put the seams on the right side and then clip the seams, so it gets a nice frayed look, and this way you basically line it as you go.
I've made quite a few to order over the years.
People donate the jeans I use, so the only expense is the fleece.
Also, I have an industrial Singer machine - I don't think a normal machine would do it.
Everyone I've made one for has been very happy with it.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2018, 1:44 pm

That sounds awesome, for myself I wonder if I would prefer it, because I have a 16 lb. blanket, and I wish it were heavier, I wonder if the weight is comparable. I could definitely see it being enough, I will look into that. That sounds like it would be cost effective in the future, I have a regular sewing machine, and a mini toy sewing machine. Ironically the 20 dollar toy, stiches denim better than the brand name large one. It is sew much fun making blankets.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 2:40 pm

^ One day I might get around to making myself one!

If you prefer it heavier, you can layer squares of denim in decreasing sizes on each square before you sew them.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2018, 11:38 am

Layering with denim should work great, I will try that. After I get some material, I could make you a rice one if you want. I don't have the right machine for denim yet, but I think I will probably get that. I am even thinking of mixing the two, it would require less rice. Though just denim would make the washing much easier. And I think denim clothes at a thrift store might work. I was looking at fabric at Walmart, it is a bit pricey. I got a bag of 80 lb rice, so I figure I will use that at least till it runs out. So far I made a scarf type weighted something. It is more bulky than I would like, which would be another plus to denim, even if you had to layer it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:17 am

No weighted blankets, but my cats served the same purpose nicely.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 6:08 pm

I made my own using dense (not bulky, but dense, heavy fibers) yarn and varying degrees of thickness patterns. Crochet. So I can double it or flip an edge (heavier) or corners (heaviest) to increase and decrease pressure as needed.
I sleep with it every night. I feel WAY more comfortable, safe and at ease when I use it. It's instantly calming.

I am a Bookwyrm.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 6:12 pm

jadix wrote:
II am not dead set on rice, but poly pellets are expensive which is why I think these places charge so much.

Depending on where you look, online bulk can be found relatively inexpensively. Also, as a side note, over time rice will give off a fairly unpleasant odor once they start to break down.

I am a Bookwyrm.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2018, 7:34 pm

I did not know that, that's unfortunate. I was also thinking about sand, or salt, since you can get those cheap in bulk. I saw poly pellets even in bulk were still expensive (maybe somewhere I haven't looked though). you couldn't get salt wet, so I think that wouldn't be good, but maybe sand. With a denim outside, and maybe some fluff filler, to make it more comfortable. I always want mine to be heavier, and mine has poly pellets. I know that's not true for everybody though. I wonder if there are sand types you can wash, because in bulk it is pretty reasonable. I want to find out if all rice will start smelling, if there is a way to prevent it, like cooking it first, lol. I used cat litter (clean) once, not great to breathe. Cat blankets are great, I want one so bad, they have the tendency to move off though, and if you try to move them, they get irritated. I got to play with kittens yesterday, I wanted to take them home.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 10:25 pm

Once I'm situated with a job, I'm going to buy a weighted blanket and give it a try. Looks like it'll run about $200. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night almost every night. I need all of the energy I can spare to fake being neurotypical during work. I just finished up my clinicals and I have been exhausted over the weekend. Another 6 week clinical coming up. Must survive!

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 7:28 pm

jadix wrote:
I did not know that, that's unfortunate. I was also thinking about sand, or salt, since you can get those cheap in bulk. I saw poly pellets even in bulk were still expensive (maybe somewhere I haven't looked though). you couldn't get salt wet, so I think that wouldn't be good, but maybe sand. With a denim outside, and maybe some fluff filler, to make it more comfortable. I always want mine to be heavier, and mine has poly pellets. I know that's not true for everybody though. I wonder if there are sand types you can wash, because in bulk it is pretty reasonable. I want to find out if all rice will start smelling, if there is a way to prevent it, like cooking it first, lol. I used cat litter (clean) once, not great to breathe. Cat blankets are great, I want one so bad, they have the tendency to move off though, and if you try to move them, they get irritated. I got to play with kittens yesterday, I wanted to take them home.

It's a part of the breaking down process of the organic material. Decompositional odors from organic material is virtually impossible to eradicate. Cooked rice would only break down further, as you've softened the tough outer shell and exposed it to water which speeds decomposition quite well. Google "Polyfil alternatives" and see what comes up, maybe? Good luck!
(Sand will smell too if it gets wet, even if it's bleached sand, and I love cats :D kittens are the best)

I am a Bookwyrm.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 9:01 pm

IstominFan wrote:
No weighted blankets, but my cats served the same purpose nicely.

Yep, my animals pack in around me and on me. Pinning me under the covers to the point where it’s hard to roll over. I call them my fur blanket. They do not do it to my Husband. I’m not sure why.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 8:35 am

I just got one and it’s noticeably improved my sleep.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2018, 8:55 am

When I was 4 or 5 years old I wanted 100 blankets with an elephant on top. This thread is reminding me to try weighted blanket. Thank you thread.

Wolfboy99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2018, 8:32 pm

Hi,

I really want a weighted blanket.

I’m looking for recommendations for longevity.

Even if a given blanket gets 4.5 (out of 5) reviews, the 1-2 reviews says it rips/falls apart and filling leaks everywhere.

Anyone have any long term experience with these who can recommend a reasonably priced, quality blanket?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 10:31 pm

I saw a weighted blanket in a promo from Bed Bath and Beyond for about $150. If you can get one of their 20% off coupons, that would bring the price down to about $120.

I don't know anything about the quality of their product.

You could check their website, http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com. Oh I see they have a number of them, the cheapest is $99.

Personally, I love sleeping under a down comforter which has very little weight at all. Only drawback is it's too warm, but I can make that work by shedding most clothing.

Wolfboy99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2018, 5:44 pm

Thanks. I’ll check those out.

I sleep with two folded towels on my head. In the past, I’ve slept with a heavy blanket that let me feel very secure.

Anyone have any long term experience with weighted blankets in terms of longevity?