Page 6 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Raleigh wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It could be the cold, dank winter of Kingston.

I took Henry for a walk the other day, in the morning, before I was awake. I forgot my gloves. My hand was exposed for only a few minutes. Well I got frost bite - just mild, but it was 10 minutes of excruciating pain as my hand warmed up. What I'm getting at here is that this is not a natural environment. It was -24 Celsius, I checked after my hand thawed.
How can some people not be affected by it? They're happy and content. When the air alone could kill you, they're unfazed. Perhaps I'm obsolete.

Perhaps because the air could kill them but it didn't.

Yes, surviving obstacles. Very worthy.
Quote:
Depression can kill you too. It tried to kill me just recently but it didn't. I'm proud to be a survivor.

I'm not sure if its depression in my case, or realism.

Quote:
I don't even like cats.

That is a brave admission on WP.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm

At least your summers are much more pleasant than they are here in NYC. It makes up for the winter.

My best friend when I was 15 was a spoiled Persian named Zum Zum.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My best friend when I was 15 was a spoiled Persian named Zum Zum.

Did Zum Zum not care for North American weather?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:53 pm

Zum Zum was purely a house cat. She wouldn't have survived going a few steps in the streets.

If you've ever seen the Fancy Feast commercial, you'll know what Zum Zum looked like (except she was gray). She could have been a show cat--but she had a stubborn nature. She absolutely hated to be brushed.

The other day, BNBBNYR presented us with unusual wild cats. It was kind of a satire on our reliance on cats to calm down threads.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:57 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Quote:
Depression can kill you too. It tried to kill me just recently but it didn't. I'm proud to be a survivor.

I'm not sure if its depression in my case, or realism.

If the realism you're talking about is "What's the point in anything we're all going to die anyway?" and "I feel obsolete" It's possibly depression.

Quote:
I don't even like cats.

androbot01 wrote:
That is a brave admission on WP.

OMG Maybe WP members can sense I'm not a cat lover. I don't like dogs either. I can't be friends with any animal that licks their privates.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

Good thing about cats: they clean themselves, and are almost always litter-trained.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Zum Zum was purely a house cat. She wouldn't have survived going a few steps in the streets.

I thought you were talking about Turkish immigrant friend. Lol. My TOM is way off.

Raleigh wrote:
If the realism you're talking about is "What's the point in anything we're all going to die anyway?" and "I feel obsolete" It's possibly depression.

I agree, but I guess I think depression is a reasonable response to my environment.

Quote:
IOMG Maybe WP members can sense I'm not a cat lover. I don't like dogs either. I can't be friends with any animal that licks their privates.

Haha. Death by a 1000 kittens to you! :wink:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm

androbot01 wrote:

Haha. Death by a 1000 kittens to you! :wink:

I doubt they could kill me. I've survived a thousand cuts. Cats have no chance.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I doubt they could kill me. I've survived a thousand cuts. Cats have no chance.

I'm not suicidal, but sometimes I question the existence of life. It seems to be one of striving, occasional gratification and lot of failure. Why bother?
But I will leave this as rhetorical as it has nothing to do with the thread.

So yeah, with the lack of accurate diagnostic tools, I would think we should be more inclusive than other disability sites.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:58 pm

One thought I have today is that there could be benefit in setting up a "safehouse" thread on WP which could serve as a dedicated haven for anyone at any time who has been gut-kicked by a personal attack or some kind of hostility that temporarily throws someone off balance into a depressive or self-invalidating spiral. Others who believe in peer support could check in there when they are in a safe space to offer support and help restore perspective. It would have to be intensively moderated by the mods so that "hostility stalkers" don't zoom in on their target of the day or week and continue their harrassment, and we would have to define what kinds of harrassments are no go - personal attacks, put downs, sneering, snide comments, dismissive attitudes towards people's pain or anxiety... I know we have the haven forum though I think there could be merit in a dedicated thread. The recovery period from a wounding attack by another member can be shortened by validation, support, time and a sense of safety which comes from being in a safe place.

The Haven generally should always be a safe place, and mostly is, though undermining, shaming, invalidation and put downs do sometimes creep in there too, which is why I think a dedicated thread might be worthwhile. Certainly if it stops some members, however few, leaving the only place that they once felt they belonged, and returning to isolation and the added stresses that can bring. I can think of a number of members - many of you have PM'd me - who would be excellent at offering affirmative and healing support for any members in distress at any time, and they too may need some from time to time. A safe, healing, inclusive and respectful place where it's not a risk to reveal your hurt when the occasion arises. Thoughts? (NB: Not somewhere to name and shame the abusers - the abusers are for the mods to deal with).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 2:08 am

Fnord wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
I don't understand the contentiousness about this issue. Why one should care about the diagnostic experience of another? But some seem threatened by the self-diagnosed.
It's not so much about the validity of self-diagnosis, but the perception of an individual who claims to have a "hidden" condition - a condition that is not as obvious as a broken leg or missing teeth - that makes many people (especially the NTs I know) express the opinion that the individual is some type of hypochondriac.

Case in point: I have asthma. Most of the time, it's under control, so I can even tolerate a little smoke in the air for a short time. Rarely does it get out of control, except during allergy season, when I'm stressed, or when the air is visibly full of dust, smoke, or fumes. The last few weeks have seen all of these conditions at the same time.

So, the other day, an attack came on suddenly, and I could not find my inhaler. My co-workers wouldn't believe that I was suffering at all. Some called me "faker" and "hypochondriac", and laughed while I ran gasping into the parking lot (my inhaler was in the car). If it wasn't for the fact that my personnel file lists Asthma on the front jacket (with an official, written diagnosis from my GP inside), I could have been reprimanded for causing a disturbance. As it is, my co-workers are the ones who received the reprimand.

Here's the point: A self-diagnosis may explain everything to the person making the diagnosis; but without an official, written diagnosis from a properly-trained and licensed medical professional, the self-diagnosed person runs the risk of being labelled a fake, a fraud, and even a hypochondriac by people who have no clue as to what is really going on in the mind and body of the self-diagnosed individual.

The "contentiousness" is between those who want to be taken seriously for what may be a perfectly reasonable self-assessment, and those who see no reason to take their word for it without documented proof.

Personally, my current stance on this is that a self-diagnosis harms the individual when it leads to self-medication with substances that are either ineffective or that cause more harm than good. Otherwise, there are a lot of people in the general population that are even more skeptical than I, and that are downright cruel in their treatment of what they consider "fakers" and "hypochondriacs". These people will stand around and laugh while an asthmatic suffocates, an epileptic has a petit mal, or an aspie has a meltdown just because they don't believe it when the victims try to explain what is wrong with them.

At least an official diagnosis on record gives you the legal standing to seek restitution when your needs are not being met in employment, housing, or educational opportunities.

The same you are fakers, excuse makers, everybody is a little shy, deal with it an other invalidation accusations from family, friends and some professionals just how it is for a lot of professionally diagnosed also. With the professionally diagnosed you can add moocher, it s a fake disease, so overdiagnosed and other reasons why you don't have it . Self diagnoses is just another excuse for bullies to pounce. There are legitimate reasons to question the validity of self diagnosis, fear of what the NT's might think is not one of them

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 6:06 pm

For the purposes of this thread, the mods have advised that PMs sent to me (from people who want to comment on past harm they have experienced while remaining anonymous so that they have protection from renewed attacks) can be posted on this thread, in this specific case, so long as the following conditions are met
1) they are posted anonymously by me and 2) the poster gives express permission to me to repost their message in the PM. I think that's a really good decision.

However if you are reading this thread/this post without prior familiarity with this thread, and want to comment, please review the whole thread first so that new posts maintain the contextual relevance. Thanks :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The same you are fakers, excuse makers, everybody is a little shy, deal with it an other invalidation accusations from family, friends and some professionals just how it is for a lot of professionally diagnosed also. With the professionally diagnosed you can add moocher, it s a fake disease, so overdiagnosed and other reasons why you don't have it . Self diagnoses is just another excuse for bullies to pounce. There are legitimate reasons to question the validity of self diagnosis, fear of what the NT's might think is not one of them
It is if those NTs have influence or direct control over your employment. Imagine getting a supervisor who believes that all asthmatics are faking, that all epileptics are trying to get on disability, and that all aspies are just whining, complaining little pansies who just want to be coddled and paid for doing virtually nothing. If it was just your word against theirs, you would be out on the street in very short order (if you were ever hired in the first place); but with an official diagnosis of a disability, you would have a legal basis to fight any discrimination or harassment, or at least get a good parking space near the door.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

Fnord have you ever considered looking for another job? Your workplace sounds like it's filled to the brim with unpleasant people.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jan 2015, 8:23 pm

Sometimes I feel that users (particularly Fnord, it must be said) can be a little blunt when someone comes to us looking for information about whether they might be autistic.

Rather than just saying "only a qualified professional can provide an official ASD diagnosis" (which is, of course, perfectly true), might it not be useful for us to add "...and an official diagnosis provides benefits like making sure you don't have a similar condition, and giving you the right to reasonable adjustments at work and university"? That way we don't risk questioning whether the self-diagnosed are actually autistic, but rather the relative uselessness of WP as a diagnostic tool.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

I think these discussions of validity are good. It's a reminder to those of us who think we are or might be autistic to be cautious of confirmation bias and our own limits of understanding.