What is the best brand of protein powder?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 12:29 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:
Whey is the base for most protein powders. However unless you are a competing body builder or a high performance athlete then you are likely just to put on weight and not the kind you are expecting. Had a flatmate recently spend a fortune on the stuff because his trainer said he should but he could have achieved better results with the right diet. Needless to say he only actually put on fat wight as opposed to muscular even though i warned him. Was his last time forking out $120 on some advertising gimmick.

That is because he is taking in more calories than his body is expending. High protein is important for building muslce, but also for weight loss. And whey protein happens to be one of the most bio-available sources of protein there is, and it also has all the essential amino acids.

Yes but you only need the protein the body needs to repair muscle, for most sports, a healthy diet is more than sufficient. However, with the more extreme end of body building and sports then yes, a protein supplement would likely help to keep up with ongoing and more extreme muscle repair. Otherwise a healthy diet is more than sufficient

albert147
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2017, 7:15 am

albert147 wrote:
Iguessthisworks wrote:
I've been wondering about this for a while. There is Cheap protein powder online out there that has a lot of protein but also a lot of sugar and calories. While other powder doesn't have as much protein but also has a small amount of sugar and calories. I'm looking for powder that has a lot of protein but doesn't have a lot of sugar or calories to burn right after I work out. Do you know any brands?

Hi
You can buy a protein powder of top brands from Mightyape but in my suggestion, Egg Protein is better according to your need.Egg protein powders are typically made from egg whites rather than whole eggs. Although the protein quality remains excellent, feelings of fullness may be reduced when yolks are removed.Egg protein powders are typically made from egg whites rather than whole eggs. Although the protein quality remains excellent, feelings of fullness may be reduced when yolks are removed.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 1:14 pm

1Biggles1 wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:
Whey is the base for most protein powders. However unless you are a competing body builder or a high performance athlete then you are likely just to put on weight and not the kind you are expecting. Had a flatmate recently spend a fortune on the stuff because his trainer said he should but he could have achieved better results with the right diet. Needless to say he only actually put on fat wight as opposed to muscular even though i warned him. Was his last time forking out $120 on some advertising gimmick.

That is because he is taking in more calories than his body is expending. High protein is important for building muslce, but also for weight loss. And whey protein happens to be one of the most bio-available sources of protein there is, and it also has all the essential amino acids.

Yes but you only need the protein the body needs to repair muscle, for most sports, a healthy diet is more than sufficient. However, with the more extreme end of body building and sports then yes, a protein supplement would likely help to keep up with ongoing and more extreme muscle repair. Otherwise a healthy diet is more than sufficient

Just saying "healthy diet" is incredibly unspecific. Most people don't get enough protein, even when they are aiming for a "healthy diet", and whey protein makes that alot easier. I don't know why people are in such a hurry to demonize protein powders, they are great supplements to a "healthy diet", and most people would arguably be much better off switching their juice in the morning for a protein shake. :)

DemonAbyss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2017, 7:48 pm

Use Muscletech Whey Isolate myself. Easier on my stomach than most other whey products, isn't super expensive, and has a good protein to price ratio. Shame my local shop stopped selling it and switched to muscle milk entirely.

A few words of advice.

As 1Biggles1 stated, you can get fat from protein supplements, although he/she has exaggerated a bit IMO. You can still benefit from supplementation even if you aren't a competing bodybuilder or high-performance athlete. If one keeps active and keeps their diet in check, the added protein can be of benefit with building muscle (and losing fat), which in turn raises ones basal metabolic rate (which is part of why supplementing can help lose fat if done properly).

Granted, not everyones goal is weight/fat loss (and there is is nothing wrong with either path, simple weight loss/toning and trying to become a musclebound monster: everyone has different fitness goals, and one should embrace what suits them and their interest), but muscle gain (and moreso strength gain).

This comes from my own experiences, originally as someone who only hit the gym to destress/cope with stress, and turned it into a routine. My own goal is strength, I don't worry about fat (I worry even less about weight)too much as long as I keep working out to my fullest. Kinda turned it into a competition with myself to be honest.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 2:52 am

Yes Closet Genious is rather unspecific as its hard to gauge a dietary plan as every one is different, different sports require different regimes and exercise programs. Something we did when i did sports science. We catered for each individual, their dietary plan, exercise regime etc based on a number of factors. Thats when it becomes specific. But your average jo blogs that just wants to do the gym a few times a week for none competitive gain often get trolled into buying supplements they dont actually need. Instead it can become counter to ones goals...
Its hard to be specific because as mentioned it is individual to each person, the sport and and what their main goals are.

I just see these sort of supplements pushed all the time and people buy into an ideology when they dont really need to... Just sometimes the right protein/diet, ie, fish, rice, broccoli, greens, steak, eggs whites, chicken, baked potato etc and fiber intake from every day foods is enough... As the OP isnt specific but seeing as he is a certified skydiver i would assume you are no more than 110kg therefor unlikely to need high costs supplements if you are still wishing to keep jumping unless you are looking at changing vocation?
Just my opinion :)

DemonAbyss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2017, 3:13 pm

1Biggles1 wrote:
Yes Closet Genious is rather unspecific as its hard to gauge a dietary plan as every one is different, different sports require different regimes and exercise programs. Something we did when i did sports science. We catered for each individual, their dietary plan, exercise regime etc based on a number of factors. Thats when it becomes specific. But your average jo blogs that just wants to do the gym a few times a week for none competitive gain often get trolled into buying supplements they dont actually need. Instead it can become counter to ones goals...
Its hard to be specific because as mentioned it is individual to each person, the sport and and what their main goals are.

Pretty much how things should be done. Diet and exercise plans are definitely a case by case situation. Despite not being a competitive lifter, my goals and general build is more or less strongman/powerlifter just for the enjoyment of the lifts.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2017, 3:22 pm

Unflavoured Whey Isolate is good. I use the stuff from NOW foods. It tastes terrible, but it doesn't have a lot of calories or carbs. You can find it on Amazon.

I also noticed that a lot of flavoured mixes contain calcium carbonate, an antacid which can interfere with certain medications like PPIs or H2 blockers.

Triple_V
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2017, 12:03 am

Still been 2000 tried loads of different companies, but in my honest opinion i'd have to say USN :) On the fact tht i notice a difference in strength and power, but everyone is different

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 6:30 pm

I like vegan pea protein powder the most. :)

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 12:18 am

I found Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Protein Shake on Amazon.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. Generally always comes near the top of any online review of best proteins, £22 for 900g on Amazon, tastes great. Add a load of chicken, tuna and eggs and then get lifting! 8)

HyperX
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2017, 5:04 am

Egg protein has the highest index on the scale. it's so good in fact that it is the protein that other proteins are measured up against.

Whey protein is okay but is higher in fats, calories and can cause bloating because of it's lactose content. If your going to get whey, get a 50/50 blend of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate.

Otherwise get 100% pure egg.

I use this because it's 100% pure and 100% quality.
http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/products/egg-protein-powder.html

zer0netgain wrote:
I use MLO Milk & Egg Protien

Respect.

I have milo, water and egg protein.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 4:37 pm

HyperX wrote:
Egg protein has the highest index on the scale. it's so good in fact that it is the protein that other proteins are measured up against.

Whey protein is okay but is higher in fats, calories and can cause bloating because of it's lactose content. If your going to get whey, get a 50/50 blend of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate.

Otherwise get 100% pure egg.

I use this because it's 100% pure and 100% quality.
http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/products/egg-protein-powder.html

zer0netgain wrote:
I use MLO Milk & Egg Protien

Respect.

I have milo, water and egg protein.

It's true that the scale was originally based off of eggs, and eggs are indeed a great source of protein. But whey gets absorbed by the body just as well actually, and the fat content is so low it's not something I care about.

HyperX

28 Jul 2017, 5:20 pm

fair enough. i think I'm lactose intolerant because i got lots of bloating even though the product i was getting was clean and that bloating bothered me. also i personally found the fat content too high for my body type and it increased my body fat percentage.

but hey, if it works for you and your body type then use it! :)

hemp is actually really good too, it's also got omega oils in it. but it's illegal to eat in some countries and the texture is quite course so can be hard on the throat to eat.

pea is great for vegans.

i think soy is no good, it will increase estrogen which isn't going to help dem gains.