What is the best brand of protein powder?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Iguessthisworks
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm

I've been wondering about this for a while. There is powder out there that has a lot of protein but also a lot of sugar and calories. While other powder doesn't have as much protein but also has a small amount of sugar and calories. I'm looking for powder that has a lot of protein but doesn't have a lot of sugar or calories to burn right after I work out. Do you know any brands?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 10:46 am

The protein powders almost always have artificial sweeteners instead of sugar.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2015, 12:25 pm

Look for the cheapest brand with the highest % of protein, choose whey or casein based on preferred use. Whey absorbs faster while casein takes a bit longer. For most people whey is fine. Don't bother with all the marketing talk about losing fat or gaining muscle fast with 'special blends', you should try and look for the brand with the least added ingredients. Simple is best in terms of protein powder.

The best you can get is just pure whey isolate or hydrolysate, which you can mix with fruit and water or milk in a blender. Not everyone has access to constant fresh fruit and a blender or can down pure whey with water or milk though. There are also a lot of brands with artificial flavour, which is completely fine as long as you do not overload on it. A healthier but fatter alternative to artificial flavour would be to add a scoop of cacao powder to natural whey, don't need a mixer for this. Not as good as fruit but better than artificial flavour.

Here is a good list of solid protein powders:
[EU] http://scoobysworkshop.com/best-protein ... eu-europe/
[US] http://scoobysworkshop.com/top-5-best-protein-powders/

Asperick
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2015, 2:19 am

NOW Whey protein Isolate, is the best in my experience. A very high grade Isolate, fantastic absorbtion, very low carb and cheap a 10lb bag only runs you about 120$. I use about 1/3cup everyday and a bag lasts me a few months.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 6:35 am

I use MLO Milk & Egg Protien

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm

You don't need the powder if you eat enough grams of protein in your food.

Casein is good before bed due to the fact that it will continue to be processed over a longer period of time while you're sleeping. But you could also eat nonfat yogurt or cottage cheese and get it from that.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:42 am

alex wrote:

This could quickly become quite expensive.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:02 am

I usually drink 50% hemp protein powder from manitoba harvest. High protein, omegas, ultra low carb, plant based/no dairy/no gmo's etc. I usually add creatine & glutamine. Sometimes I add turmeric, or apple cider vinegar etc - but not for protein.

Regardless of which powder, you should switch them up every once in a while as different proteins absorb differently.. also to avoid building an intolerance or allergy to anything.

As for food sources.. there are plenty of inexpensive high protein foods. Eggs, fish, chicken, hemp seeds, nuts etc. You don't have to be buying steaks.

[email protected]
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2015, 4:35 am

My two favorite brands are Bodylogix which is cheapest at Wallgreen (3 gm carbohydrate, 24 gm whey, stevia instead of sucralose or acesfulsame and cold processed, grass fed cows) and Biotrust Low Carb (undenatured whey low temperature process, milk protein and micellar casean with digestive enzyme included, also stevia instead of artificial sweetenrs). I use Bodylogics before workout and Biotrust after. I like to mix in cinnamon. GNC has others with low carbohydrates and no artificial sweeteners.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 7:29 am

In my search, I even went into a body-building store, amongst the myriad of products, not a single one was available that didn't include toxic artificial sweeteners.
Then one day on Amazon, somebody pointed me to this:- http://www.pro-10.com/ Its the only product I ever found that is free of sugars/chemicals.

I bought mine from Amazon

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 8:53 am

Kurgan wrote:
alex wrote:

This.

I was into bodybuilding for a while. "Real" food is hard to get quality protein. Tuna fish has the highest concentration per "dollar" you spend, and if you eat too much you need to take ginger to help your body absorb it.

A quality protein powder might make you balk at the price, but when you do the math, it's a better deal than trying to eat enough "real" food to get the same quantity.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 9:30 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
alex wrote:

This.

I was into bodybuilding for a while. "Real" food is hard to get quality protein. Tuna fish has the highest concentration per "dollar" you spend, and if you eat too much you need to take ginger to help your body absorb it.

A quality protein powder might make you balk at the price, but when you do the math, it's a better deal than trying to eat enough "real" food to get the same quantity.

Canned tuna has a lot of sodium, so you need to be careful not to overdo it. The mercury levels of tuna are exaggerated on the other hand, and the mercury itself binds to the selenium in the fish.

albert147
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jun 2017, 11:53 pm

Iguessthisworks wrote:
I've been wondering about this for a while. There is Cheap protein powder online out there that has a lot of protein but also a lot of sugar and calories. While other powder doesn't have as much protein but also has a small amount of sugar and calories. I'm looking for powder that has a lot of protein but doesn't have a lot of sugar or calories to burn right after I work out. Do you know any brands?

Hi
You can buy a protein powder of top brands buy Mightyape but in my suggestion, Egg Protein is better according to your need.egg protein powders are typically made from egg whites rather than whole eggs. Although the protein quality remains excellent, feelings of fullness may be reduced when yolks are removed.Egg protein powders are typically made from egg whites rather than whole eggs. Although the protein quality remains excellent, feelings of fullness may be reduced when yolks are removed.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2017, 7:26 am

I get the Soy Isolate Protein Powder from Puritans Pride (puritan.com). I has NO sweeteners. I am allergic to eggs and use this for my breakfast protein. I mix one scoop of it in a large glass of orange juice. And it costs much less than the ones referred to above.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 7:32 am

Whey is the base for most protein powders. However unless you are a competing body builder or a high performance athlete then you are likely just to put on weight and not the kind you are expecting. Had a flatmate recently spend a fortune on the stuff because his trainer said he should but he could have achieved better results with the right diet. Needless to say he only actually put on fat wight as opposed to muscular even though i warned him. Was his last time forking out $120 on some advertising gimmick.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 9:52 am

1Biggles1 wrote:
Whey is the base for most protein powders. However unless you are a competing body builder or a high performance athlete then you are likely just to put on weight and not the kind you are expecting. Had a flatmate recently spend a fortune on the stuff because his trainer said he should but he could have achieved better results with the right diet. Needless to say he only actually put on fat wight as opposed to muscular even though i warned him. Was his last time forking out $120 on some advertising gimmick.

That is because he is taking in more calories than his body is expending. High protein is important for building muslce, but also for weight loss. And whey protein happens to be one of the most bio-available sources of protein there is, and it also has all the essential amino acids.